2004 - 2008 F-150

Simple as P.I.E.!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whiskerbiscuit
In the PIE instructions it says the radio should read "PIE", on my radio 2004 6-disc it shows "aux with pair of headphones". It still works and the sound quality is awesome .
Mine is the same way Whisker, and it seems to work just fine... I would be interested to see why. FYI I have a tape/singleCD... '04 F150.

-Dave

Old 09-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Mine also says Aux & the headphone display but it rocks so I could care less.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Did anyone else notice this? I found that if I repeatedly press the AUX button that the display on the radio cycles through 2 different modes. One reads "P.I.E." and the next reads "CRYSTL-LINE". They do sound SLIGHTLY different as well.

I went searching for an answer and found this...

Here is a quote from: http://members.tripod.com/2005stang-auxbutton/
Were a guy was testing a prototype on his mustang.

"The Shaker radio actually has two inputs that the P.I.E. interface takes advantage of. The first time the AUX button is pushed, the input display changes to "DVD/CD" which would normally be the back seat DVD player. The P.I.E. interface feeds the straight iPod audio into the system with this input.

Push the AUX button again, and the display shows "AUX", the P.I.E. interface sends a signal they call "Crystal-Line" which has a bit of noise reduction, and audio processing done. Nice they give you the option of using it or not."

Old 09-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Here is how Iended doing my install and iPod Mount...

Epoxed an old Belkin car mount to a 6" flexible gooseneck for a microphone

I used the ashtray/cup holder to support the mount. Here is the atachment point I built, epoxed and screwed that to the top of the ashtray. This will be hiden behind the dash.

Here you can see the radio/dash bezel and how the iPod mount will work once I install it in the truck.

This is the Belkin Car Power adapter pluged into the new switched cigarette lighter I installed behind the drivers side of the dash.

Continued...

Old 09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
And here is the PIE Aux Converter I have connected to the head unit and fastened behind the pasenger side of the dash.

Here you can see the ash tray/cup holder back in the truck with the mic mount ready to receive my custom iPod holder.

And finally, here are 2 shots with the dash board completely installed with my custome iPod holder.

Actaully looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow!

Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Installed the P.I.E. adapter this evening (Thanks Thrill Racing ). It was as simple as, well you know!

To put it simply, the sound with my iPod is Bitch'n

Old 09-12-2005, 11:06 PM
I installed the AUX in adapter, and Belkin ipod dock cable and I too am very happy with the sound quality.

I opted to install the Belkin cable so it routes out into the center console. It is easy to reach and move around and i can lay it in the cuphoders nicely when I am listening (as pictured).

You could also cut a small hole in the side of the cup holder and route the cable out that way, but I decided not to do this.

When I park I can just put the ipod in my center console tray and it is out of sight.

I posted install pictures in my gallery under interior mods.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
I like the console much better then the ashtray were I have mine now. I think I'll go move it. Thanks for the pics

Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 AM
TX Fx4, glad you liked it as much as I did.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
The iPod adapter is awesome. Disco'd the NEG battery terminal, pulled the fascia, disco'd the airbag light (think i broke the miniclip), plugged in the can bus adapter, tapped the blue/white constant from the cigar lighter, tapped hte black ground, plugged in the Monster Cable minijack to RCA cable, plugged in the iPod. BAM! I was up and running in about 30 minutes.

I kept the signal gain all the way up, had it at half volume on the iPod, and 1/4 volume on the deck. Sounded so awesome! I did it during lunch at work so sorry no pix. Just routed it to the glove box for now.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Finally got my iPOD in my Truck

Tonight, with my two year old trying to help out, I installed the FRD04-AUX and the Blitzsafe UII. Very nice. the Blitzsafe has about a 12' cord on the end that plugs into the bottom of my iPOD.

I put both units behind the air conditioner controlls and ran the iPOD conection cable down under the cup holders and drilled three 3/8" holes horizontally next to each other, smoothed it out to make in one hole and forced the iPOD connectore into the console.

What I didn't do, only because I didn't have time, was connect the switch power lead to the Blitzsafe unit so it will stop charging the iPOD after 20 minutes. I have to remember to unplug it.

The three holes not only allowed me to stuff the connector through, but I have enough to push my cable slack under the cupholders. I wrapped up about 3' in the dash, and I still can pull the slack out and lay the iPOD on th eback seat of my Super Crew.

Nice sound!

Old 09-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone know if the PIE is pulling power when the truck is off if wired to the always hot blue/white?

Also, anyone done this with a MYFI yet?

Old 09-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Anyone know if the PIE is pulling power when the truck is off if wired to the always hot blue/white?

Also, anyone done this with a MYFI yet?
Yes it is.

I noticed when hooking mine up, that if constant power isn't supplied, the HU loses track of the adapter and next time you turn on the ignition, it resorts back to AM/FM. It also displays some kind of message about dvd/cd or something when it loses the signal from PIE.

I changed mine so it has a constant power supply. That way when I turn on the truck my HU will automatically start playing my AUX source instead of reverting back to AM/FM.

I don't think the power draw is very high if you aren't feeding it a signal. I can't confirm this though because I haven't tested it.

Last edited by caimakale; 09-17-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... installed and working but only displays AUX... not PIE. Thoughts? Did I goof somewhere?

BTW, that's the way XM is supposed to sound!

Old 09-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Mine says PIE.

The MyFi sounded pretty good with the cassette adaptor, but it sounds great with the PIE adaptor.

Quick Reply: Simple as P.I.E.!