2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 4.6L Silencer Removed - What A Difference!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anaheim
Thats funny...i didn't notice any additional noise after removing mine...then again that might be because my "dronemaster" muffler is so loud.

I have the imco I didn't notice any sound coming from the intake, did notice a nice little "FREE" gain of hp, though, which is what I expected to feel from a cai itself anyways.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by bronkx1
I dont have one?I have an 05 stx and I went to rip mine out and theres not one to yank?

4.6L right? I didnt see mine at first either, take a screw drive and carefully pry inside where the little flexible/rib part meets the harder plastic part. Its gotta be there. The pictures that others posted are exactly what your looking for.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I did it today...and im very impressed. throttle response is way better now..and the intake is a little louder...but only when you get on it. bring on the Filter and exhaust to go with it.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Did mine this afternoon, only took abot 30 minutes. Sweeeeeet

Old 09-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I seen this mod done on another f150 site, he carefully removed the flexible piece first to make things easy, and then reglued it on with emblem adhesive. It is just glued on from the fac. This way you dont have to fight it through those ribs. Sorry didnt mean to burst anyones bubble but this mod has been out there for quite a while now. I still havent gotten around to doing mine, but I will do it tomarrow and let you all know how it works out for me. I also got a nice air box mod from the site too, look at my pics to see.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=9016

Old 09-10-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyb04stx
I seen this mod done on another f150 site, he carefully removed the flexible piece first to make things easy, and then reglued it on with emblem adhesive. It is just glued on from the fac. This way you dont have to fight it through those ribs. Sorry didnt mean to burst anyones bubble but this mod has been out there for quite a while now. I still havent gotten around to doing mine, but I will do it tomarrow and let you all know how it works out for me. I also got a nice air box mod from the site too, look at my pics to see.
Sure its been out there for awhile, but if people dont know about it than it is new to them. When you start to try to take off the rubber you WILL get aggravated and just want to rip the thing out, removing the rubber and re-sealing it would take WAY longer.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:17 AM
yeah....best thing to do is just bend the crap out of the silencer tube, so that the edges are all bent in so its not going to catch on the tube....worked for me...

Old 09-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the mod I just did mine, I went at it with a pair of craftsman pliers and a flathead and was done in 25 minutes. I also have a K&N drop-in and dumped SISO Magnaflow.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Yep you are right about the rubber piece, not worth messing with, well I got it done today, havent really had a chance to drive it yet, the wife had other plans and we spent the day in her escape! The suspence is killing me, I will take her out in the morning for a nice drive and let you all know how it feels. Either way this is a probably one of the best free mods out there!! This only took me about 15 min. i broke both ends free with a big flat screw driver, then used the screw driver and a hammer and placed the screw driver in the small end on the lip and after 2-3 hits it was free and ready to come out, would have been done in 5 min if it wasnt for fighting it past the ribbed rubber piece. other wise very easy to do, anyone should be able to do it!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=9016

Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by EDGEonSTEROIDS
I just removed mine to, I tried the pry and pull method. It wasn't working so I cheated a little, I used an Xacto knife to cut the flange off the bigger end of the silencer, then set a flat blade screwdriver on the rim of the smaller end and hit the screwdriver with my hand. Slid out pretty easy. If you do this be carefull cause after i thought about it I could have accidentally cut a hole in the main intake tube.
I personally would NOT recommend using an Xacto knife, I poked a hole in the rubber with only a flathead while trying to pry the wide end away from the housing. If it was that easy to do with a dull screwdriver, I can only imagine how easily an Xacto would slip through the side. Then you'd be saying "Oh *****", just like me and edge I'm sure...Oh well, mine is way down inbetween the housing and the soft rubber edge, so I can't see any possibility of a leak--either way, I'm going to hit it with some silicone ASAP before it gets dried out and cracks--just in case.

Originally Posted by f150newf
yeah....best thing to do is just bend the crap out of the silencer tube, so that the edges are all bent in so its not going to catch on the tube....worked for me...
Seriously, this is the best method. If I can add anything to the procedure:

Pry the mouth and opposite end from the housing with a wide flat screwdriver--it dosen't take much, you're just trying to break the "seal". While using a twisting motion with a set of long pliers, bend the wide-end's edge inward. Repeat in two or three spots along the mouth of the plastic. Pull like a summamabish and it should come right out.

BTW, thanks 4.6 and asinatra. The intake def. has a bit more of a growl to it. I also feel better response OTL and well heck, what the hell else matters?

Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 PM
I am waiting to get my truck back from the dealership. This is going to be the first thing I do when I get it back. Is there any other things I could do? Like some one else said earlier, all this is new to me.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:46 PM
TOOK HER OUT THIS MORNING, WELL SHE DEFINATELY PULLS HARDER AND THE THROTTLE IS MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE, MIGHT NOT BE AS GOOD AS THE AF1 OR OTHER INTAKES, BUT WHAT THE HECK ITS FREE AND DEFINATELY AN IMPROVEMENT. I HAVE HAD THE AIR BOX MOD DONE FOR A WHILE SO IT IS DEFINATELY THIS MOD WHICH HAS GIVEN ME THESE NEW PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS. CANT SAY FOR SURE OF A HP INCREASE, BUT I THINK THERE IS SOME! TRUCK REALLY PULLS ALOT HARDER!!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:16 AM
I think this performs just as well as an aftermarket intake with a free flow filter like the K&N. And we don't have to worry about poor craftsmanship or CELs like some intakes AHEM AF1.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I just drove in a carpool to a conference today. I must say that the intake noise did not over-power our conversations, but mostly because our conversations were about my truck!! Seriously, I felt the extra weight of four additional passengers, but I felt no lag in acceleration at all. Much better than I expected. I'm with you 4.6, just gotta get the K&N now!

Old 09-12-2005, 08:18 PM
When I did mine I also increased the size of the fender inlet. I did this by using a 3" rubber pvc coupler($5 at Lowes) and running that to the fender. It increased the inlet diameter from less than 2" to 3". It was dark out so I didn't take many pictures. I am not sure if it makes any difference because I have been driving pretty gentle due to gas prices.

THE OEM INLET

PICS OF MODIFIED INLET

Quick Reply: 2005 4.6L Silencer Removed - What A Difference!