2004 - 2008 F-150

Airaid Airforce1 Volant yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airaid Airforce1 Volant yet again!

I've read everything I can find about these CAIs. Bottom line to me is if I you have to get in line to buy the AF1 then why bother. I can't believe there is enought difference between them to matter, but I could be wrong.

I'm really interested in why Troyer doesn't recommend the Volant. It has the best look of them all IMHO. It looks stock and pulls the air from the fender well and down below. I can get one for $265 delivered. It seems like the best choice to me. As for the lean condition that Troyer refers to, supposedly they fix that. How do I know I'm getting the "Current" version and did Troyer test it with the modification to cure the lean condition. I sure don't want a bunch of OBDII codes to deal with, mainly because my wife will freak out if she drives it. I can deal with resetting them but they shouldn't be there in the first place for a product that cost this much.

So, chime in and please try to convince me to buy the Volant-or not!

05 SC 4x4 Lariat 5.4
Superchips 1745 due today (I'm sitting here waiting for it).

Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not responding to the content of this thread but more responding the the group....

We know that this one has been beat to death a few times over so, if you don't have anything informative to say to address this thread (ie: just replying 'why don't you search' or 'use the search feature'), don't respond.

Gracias.

-RP-

Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I have the Volant, and I am very impressed with it. At first, I did get lean-bank codes, but after a few driving cycles, they went away (I was also running a Diablo Predator). After switching to the X-Cal 2, no codes at all.

IMHO, the Volant looks great, sounds strong, and by design, is the best cold-air box around.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Thank you. How recently did you buy it? I'm wondering if you have the "updated" version and how can I tell?

Old 08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Ranger Bill, how do you like the shorty headers on your truck??
Have you any E/T's (been to the track) or dyno#'s with your present mods?
Just curious before I spend anymore $$ on headers. I am not totally convinced that they help that much on these motors unless you are adding a blower which will be my next major addition.. Probably in early Fall.
Thanks

Old 08-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I chose Airforce One because of the extensive R&D Troyer did on it (over a year) & the BIG hp & torque #'s it lays down, but the Volant is a good looking set-up

Old 08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
1) Purchased the Volant in November '04. Don't know if it is an "old" or "new" style.

2) As for the headers, I wish I had track times or dyno #'s to post. What I can say about the headers is a noticeable mid-range torque gain, about 1/2 MPG improvement, and a really rich, performance tone at WOT with the Borla CAT-back.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'm not responding to the content of this thread but more responding the the group....

We know that this one has been beat to death a few times over so, if you don't have anything informative to say to address this thread (ie: just replying 'why don't you search' or 'use the search feature'), don't respond.

Gracias.

-RP-

Looks like when Rock speaks people listen......

Good luck on your choice of Intakes.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I like your front plate rangerbill... I'm looking for a nice Steelers hitch cover (I'd like one that's simply the circle logo).

I'm one the fence about getting an intake at all... Let alone which one. I like the lower profile look of the Airaid over the AF1, but the volant looks nice too, as long as it isn't throwing codes.

Anyone try a TruFlow? Looks interesting, uses the stock airfilter box and fender inlet. Don't recall seeing much about it here though... (I didn't search though).

Old 08-01-2005, 09:13 PM
ive got an early volant on mine (the one with supposed CEL problems) and ive never had a problem with it. i like the design because its very clean, very well integrated with the factory look, all black plastic, a nice carbon fiber look cover, and most importantly the filter is in its own sealed box, which is VERY important to cold air induction. even more than i initially thought. when i was at the drag strip i took the cover off the box to see how it did, and i actually ran 2 tenths slower, and i can only assume its because of the warmer air.

volants customer service is also great, and now with the new intakes they have worked out all the bugs from the previous ones. bill it looks like you have a newer one. if you buy any new now you will have a newer version, which looks much sharper than mine. ill see if i have any pics.

i cant say if its better than any other because i havent tried any of the others, so im just giving an objective opinion of what i have noticed

Old 08-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by desertoasis
I can get one for $265 delivered.
Where are you getting the Volant for that price?

Old 08-02-2005, 05:50 AM
there are a few sellers on ebay who sell it for that much, sometimes less. i paid 200 for mine when truckperformance had them on clearance

Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 AM
With the closed box, isn’t the Volant only drawing air from the fender exactly like the stock intake but with the filter in a different location?

What kind of hp & torque #’s do they make on the 3-valve?

Old 08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
the Volant is going to be your best bet

Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
With the closed box, isn’t the Volant only drawing air from the fender exactly like the stock intake but with the filter in a different location?

What kind of hp & torque #’s do they make on the 3-valve?
It draws from the fender well and from the bottom of the box. The bottom can also have a ram-air tube attached, which I did not want, as my truck does see light off-road duty, and I did not want to run the risk of hydro-locking the enging if I traverse water.

As far as power increases, I have read as much as 18HP on stock 5.4 3V's, but without actually running #'s, I could not prove it. I can say that my a$$ dyno did feel a nice low-end increase, and it seemed to maintain through the RPM range at WOT.

Quick Reply: Airaid Airforce1 Volant yet again!