2004 - 2008 F-150

Tell me what I need to know about trailer ball, hitch, towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me what I need to know about trailer ball, hitch, towing

My 04 FX4 SCREW came with a hitch and wired but I dont have a ball and havent used it for towing yet. I have had a sudden death in the family that requires a trip cross country this week that will result in towing a small U-Haul back. I have no clue if one ball is better than another and what I need to look for but I need to buy and install it in the next 48 hours. I had planned to install air bags to avoid rear end drop when loaded but didnt get a chance to do that and wont be able for this. Tell me what I need to get, look for, stay away from regarding a ball, etc.

Thanks,

Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
All you should need is a 2inch by 2inch square tubing hitch reciver, should be able to buy them at Walmart it will be the cheapest, a ball to go on that and a 1/2inch hitch pin. A small U-haul will most likely have a 2inch ball on it, if it is not that it will be 1 7/8inches. Your total install time should be about 5 minutes, you just have to put the ball in the reciver, tighten the nut, put the reciver in the hitch, slide the pin through and you are good to go. Doesn't take long at all.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Get the 2" ball ... it's the 'standard' for the most part. Drive safe.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Find out what size ball you need for the trailer, I dont know where you like to shop but Wal-Mart has a receiver,ball and pin for around $20.00. I have fx4 also and when towing my bass boat I use a receiver with very little drop. Most ***** are rated from 3500-6000 lbs that should do anything you need to do. I would also suggest buying a locking pin to keep someone from stealing it I know several people that have lost theirs.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We had to tow a U-Haul trailer back a couple of times from Texas. It's a standard 2" ball. The U-Haul's weight likely won't make your truck squat, unless you're loading up the biggest one they got (um, 6x8' I think, tandem axle), and even then it probably won't.

The U-Haul trailer's lighting will either wire up through the four pin connector with a harness (at least it did for me; the insulation/cover surrounding the connector on my truck prevented the U-Haul's wiring from plugging directly in, it wouldn't fit, so the U-Haul guys put a little jumper harness together to make it work) or the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter that plugs into the big round connector. The U-Haul guys will set you up with a ball and tow bar and all that stuff when you get the trailer if you want 'em to. Check the ball attachment and safety chains every time you take a rest break or stop for gas. You won't even know the trailer's there. Good luck, and sorry about the loss in your family; that's why I had to go to Texas with the trailer too.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey SnakeCharmer, you may want to see/call what the level height of the trailer tongue is that you'll be towing. Optimally, you want the trailer as level as possible, so you may need an offset drawbar. These drawbars come in different offsets; 2", 4", 6", etc. Don't freak that this HAS to be perfect, but the more level everything is, the better your trailering experience will be, especially since you're gonna be pulling this thing half way across country. If you will be pulling a small trailer, you shouldn't have to worry with your back end sagging on you. Another hint, make sure that you have enough tongue weight, ie; enough trailer weight forward of the trailer axle/s. Saw a friend of mine years ago pulling a small camper with not enough tongue weight; coming down an overpass and had to brake slightly; trailer started fishtailing all over on him. Luckily got it settled down before anything was damaged, but it was an experience neither of us will ever forget. Good Luck and sorry for your loss.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure about an FX4, but on my 2WD Supercab without the 2" shackles, a 2" towbar offset sat the trailer with a slight forward rake. And what cobra909 said about tongue weight is dead on. When you load the trailer, try to get the heavier stuff up towards the front of the trailer. It's a small trailer compared to the truck that's pulling it, but still, it's better to have more weight up front than towards the rear of the trailer.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:19 AM
ok, I have two recepticles already wired on the back of the truck and the dealer gave me a third harness if needed for oddball plugs that I'll take with me. I feel better about not having the airbags for this, the trip is about 1700 miles each way and I didnt want to be squating the entire tow job back. I'll pick up the ball, reciever and pin tomorrow and I'll be sure to load the trailer with heavy stuff up front. Leaving Thursday morning so not much time to spare. Thanks for the fast feedback folks, you all rock

Old 07-20-2005, 12:34 AM
One more thing....according to U-Haul the maximum recommended speed for one of their trailers is 45MPH, how critical is that? I cant image driving 45MPH back 1700 miles.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:38 AM
walmart has a special now on reece hitches that come with the 2'' ball already installed and a pin. 19.89 + tax. if you havent already bought one you also need to consider the drop. if your ride hight is stock go w/the 2'' drop with a 2'' ball.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Often times, I stare in the rearview mirror at that sticker that says "Speed Limit 45MPH" as I chuckle and depress the pedal on the right to speed on up to 65. Honestly, I pulled a car trailer 1500 miles behind a U-Haul truck (cube van), and the only time I obeyed that was for about 3.09247589236508970 seconds while merging onto the highway. Good luck man, and sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 AM
What the other guys said, plus you may want to call ahead & see what the one-way rental will cost. I can get a small trailer here in Atlanta for $19-$29 per day (there no mileage charge) & (too) frequently drive to Mississippi & back to de-furnish our house.

Dave

Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
My truck is 4x4 with the front 2" level kit installed. I measured and it's 18" high to the center of the hitch where the reciever slides into so maybe the 2" drop wouild be best? I'll call U-Haul today to find out the tongue hieght average for their trailers and get that stuff today. Also planning a LOF tonight to make sure engine has fresh fluids. Thanks guys. My wife and our 14 month old girl will be going, and I thank myself everytime we take a road trip that I bought the CREW, it's the best.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Good luck on the trip Snake....sorry about the loss...get a DVD player for the kid

This thread was very informative and helpful....I'm not towing and dont often but good advice here.

Sure points out why this site is so great.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Not sure where you are going, but keep this in mind. In California, as well as a few other states I am sure, moving violation fines are automatically doubled if you are towing. That can get expensive quick.

No need to do 45, but since this is your first time towing, and U-haul trailers seem to be a little squirrly anyway, I'd strongly recommend keeping it between 55 or 65 at the most, or whatever the posted sign says. Going to fast with a trailer can get you into trouble fast. take it easy, don't rush, and check your mirrors often.

And, as was said, check the trailer coupler, saftey chains, lights and tires on the trailer often. The last few U-haul trailers I rented were real pieces of crap.

Also, watch the U-haul guys, I've seen them slap together some really unsafe setups to get you out the door. Don't let them screw up your wiring, and make sure there is a good solid saftey chain connection. I had a guy once try to attach the safety chains with bailing wire.

Sorry to hear of the loss, but enjoy the together time with your family as much as you can.

Quick Reply: Tell me what I need to know about trailer ball, hitch, towing