2004 - 2008 F-150

Mark LT Shifter Top WON'T Stay On...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark LT Shifter Top WON'T Stay On...

I cannot get the top of the shifter to stay on. I have used 15 min 2 part poxy and the heat up here is not letting it stick...

Any suggestions?

Also, the leather covering is slowly moving down and then the button tends to stick in. Any thoughts?

Old 07-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Buy a Mark LT???

No...seriously...where are you putting the epoxy at and where is all that "heat" comming from that is destroying those epoxy bonds?

Old 07-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Quite honestly, I left mine loose. I was afraid if I secured it, the very next minute something would go wrong internally, and I'd be completely screwed.

I'm still working on a solution. The cap hasn't come off yet, so leaving it be might be a consideration. Probably won't happen, but that's the way it will stay until a solution is found.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:07 PM
To keep it from sliding down put an o-ring gasket at the bottom. You can pick em up at home depot. Should work in theory anyway. As for the top, what held it in place initially? There has to be some kind of adhesive that will hold it together. Keep us up to date on your progress. Good luck...

Later,

Luis S

Old 07-16-2005, 08:36 PM
This stinks. I was just about to buy the tan leather shifter...guess I'll wait till you guys get this one straightened out before dropping $50 on it. Anyone out there working for Ford and willing to buy the tan shifter for me and then I'll buy it from you? That way I get less of a mark up?

How would an o-ring gasket work to keep the leather from slipping down without noticing the gasket?

I would think a properly seated top would hold the leather in position.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:05 PM
I have no idea why the leather should be moving down. My was bonded completely to the housing and doesnt move at all.

I first used silicone figuring that would be perfect to hold the top on.... but everyday at work my interior would heat up and it would fall off in my hand... this went on for about a month and I could stand it. I mixed up a little loctite 5 min epoxy and put a couple little drops around the ring and suck it on..... its nice and solid now and it can sit outside in 95 degree weather and never comes loose.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:17 AM
I used 5 min. JB-Weld and did the same ^
theres nothin you can't fix with bailin wire, silicone, duct tape and JB Weld!

Old 07-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I see, I mis-read the problem. :o I thought the assembly itself was sliding down. I suggested the o-ring as a shim of sorts. The leather coming off is another matter entirely. Sorry I couldnt be more of a help. Maybe it was just a faulty unit? Ah well, I hope my shifter install goes half as well. Im terrified to mod things in my truck.

Later,

Luis S

Old 07-17-2005, 06:15 AM
YellowFX4SCrew, as Purpony mentioned, I too put a bead of the 15 min epoxy around the outer ring on the chrome top. As for the reason your button is sticking, you don't have the internal parts aligned up correctly with the hole. You can look at the edges of the hole and the chrome button, you will see which side is hitting the edge. This will prevent the button from functioning correctly. You may have to dremel some of the edges of the hole to allow clearance of the button.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree AhsGrad, if the innards are not aligned with the hole the button will stick or be stiff. If you dont epoxy the innards to the leather covered shell in a couple spots then they could migrate while in use and then be a PIA to press in the button. I doubt if you are in need of more dremel time if it worked correctly when you first installed it YellowFX4SCrew. Sounds like more of a poor epoxy bond to me.

Quick Reply: Mark LT Shifter Top WON'T Stay On...