2004 - 2008 F-150

Can speedometer clusters be replaced/upgraded??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddziLLa
To be honest, my front speedo cluster sucks. It is so plain! My question is, can it be replaced with that from an FX4 or Lariat? Mine currently does not even include a tacho, See pic below:

Since mine does not include a tacho, I am wondering if an FX4 or Lariat cluster would work, or even fit. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Iam now jealous Toddzilla, I have never thought about replaceing the cluster. I have the same truck as you, except its arizona beige. One more thing to add to the mods to do list i guess. I have pics, but I havent figured out yet how to make a gallery.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:05 AM
I would have swore i read on here in another thread that the XLT/FX4 cluster wouldn't work in the STX, something to do with tach hookup or something. Oh well, I've got another one on the list too. Cool thing is theres a 05 S'crew XLT sittin beside my STX out in the driveway....wonder if dad would notice? I'm already plannin to grab his MP3 head unit and reciever hitch, might as well take his gauges too

Old 07-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by EDGEonSTEROIDS
I would have swore i read on here in another thread that the XLT/FX4 cluster wouldn't work in the STX, something to do with tach hookup or something. Oh well, I've got another one on the list too. Cool thing is theres a 05 S'crew XLT sittin beside my STX out in the driveway....wonder if dad would notice? I'm already plannin to grab his MP3 head unit and reciever hitch, might as well take his gauges too
No we have been putting FX4 clusters in STX trucks and XL trucks for more than a year and a half. Mine ten months ago, and it was far from first.
The hard one is the Lariat cluster, and even that has been mastered.
Chris

Old 07-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Scott 7065
Todd it is very easily replaced. I replaced mine with the FX4

stock: remove two wire harnesses and 4 screws. disconnect prnd21 unit.

reconnect wire harness at the top of the cluster and 4 screws. The tricky part is reconnecting the "prnd21"

finding one on eBay and having to bid for one is the hard part. Make sure you find a vendor who can program your miles for you. be sure to disconnect your - battery cable before you start and the directions are easily understood which should come with the new cluster. I paid 225.00 on eBay.
When you are ready to do this you can e-mail me if you want and I can walk you through it. I had no idea what I was doing but had no problems at all.
idrivegt@comcast.net
a mod well worth doing

Scott
what gauges are on your A pillar

Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
No we have been putting FX4 clusters in STX trucks and XL trucks for more than a year and a half. Mine ten months ago, and it was far from first.
The hard one is the Lariat cluster, and even that has been mastered.
Chris
Sorry - prob a stupid question but what's the difference between the FX4 cluster and the Lariat other then the looks? Does it have a different type of computer? I have an XLT.... is it easier to drop in the FX4 rather then the lariat?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by str8ace
Sorry - prob a stupid question but what's the difference between the FX4 cluster and the Lariat other then the looks? Does it have a different type of computer? I have an XLT.... is it easier to drop in the FX4 rather then the lariat?

No, there is a thread covering it in great detail, the last few days, but keeping it simple, there are three switches in the Lariat dash that are not in the others. You can buy the switches, or even the lower panel it goes in, a harness, etc. Then after you have it programmed, you have the Lariat information panel. Just adds about half again the cost. Which is not cheap for any of these swaps. I did it for about 225, might be the second cheapest one done. Most times they run about 250-400 before you are finished.

I frankly use the tach in my Scangauge more than the one in the dash, as it remembers the RPM max where as when I am at high RPM (5000 is high on these low RPM motors) I am seldom watching the gauges.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bothered. It doesn't look that much better.
That said, my neighbor wants to do it, and is looking for a XLT or FX4 cluster, but doesn't want to pay the 150-200 e-bay usually gets.
Oh well, like most mods, it's contagious..
Chris

Old 07-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The LARIAT cluster gives you miles to empty and also miles per gallon unlike the FX4 cluster.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe it was an XLT cluster they were having trouble with I can't remember. Its been a while back and i just skimmed through it but i do remember something about different hook-ups so it was probably and STX to XLT swap. Please forgive my un-excusable ignorance

Old 07-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Well, if an STX cluster can be swapped to an FX4 cluster, then it can easily be changed to an XLT cluster. These clusters are the same in operation, only the looks are different. I quickly looked at the wiring diagrams for the trucks and didn't see anything in there that would tell me the harnesses are different between models. Just a few missing wires here and there. (for message center in the lariat, look for that thread to see what I am talking about)

I think the problems you may be referring to, is certain things may not work after a swap. Yes this is true, but it is also true when you switch an XLT to an FX4 or Lariat cluster. Some people will get lucky and have them work without having to be programmed to the vehicles configurations, but when I put the lariat cluster in my XLT, the A/C didn't work. The lariat cluster was programmed to work with the EATC not the manual A/C. Sometimes 4WD might not work, or your door chime, or your cab lights, or many other things. There are alot of things that run through the cluster believe it or not. I haven't checked, but a cluster that isn't properly configured, even though everything may seem to work fine, might also throw error codes if it is looking for something that isn't there. (ie... looking for 4wd and your truck is only 2wd)

That's the reason why you need to go to your dealer either to have it installed, or right after you install. Hopefully your mileage is accurate between the two clusters, because it is illegal to swap out clusters with inaccurate mileage. Techs can get in alot of trouble, and at my local dealership, they refuse to swap unless the mileage is identical. And if you swapped it out yourself and they are unsure about your mileage when you take it in, there is a chance they won't program it for you.

Just an FYI.

Last edited by caimakale; 07-12-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:05 AM
I think i may put those in, but keep the handle. 2 on dash 2 on pillar, i am thinking about digital gauges. What do you guys think?

I know they are a tad more expensive, i been looking at the Autometers and they look good too.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Cliff

which F-150 do you have and do you have the flow through console? If so, I think it's Moss Motors who makes a three gauge face that replaces the ashtray front. I guesss if you are a smoker this doesn't help but someone on this site canned the ashtray and used this for gauges and it looked killer. I'm not sure if there are pods made to go on top of the dash for the f- 150's or not. Lets see the pics when you get it done. Also, if your truck is 2 wheel drive there is also the coin slot which takes a 2 1/16 gauge perfectly.
digital would be cool.

Scott

Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only ashtray gage pod I have been able to find for the F150.

Quick Reply: Can speedometer clusters be replaced/upgraded??