2004 - 2008 F-150

Can speedometer clusters be replaced/upgraded??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can speedometer clusters be replaced/upgraded??

To be honest, my front speedo cluster sucks. It is so plain! My question is, can it be replaced with that from an FX4 or Lariat? Mine currently does not even include a tacho, See pic below:

Since mine does not include a tacho, I am wondering if an FX4 or Lariat cluster would work, or even fit. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Old 07-09-2005, 11:14 AM
"SEARCH" and ye shall find.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
at least you got a full tank of gas.

any of them should fit, however im not sure if everything you need is there to make the tach work, same for the computer display on the lariat.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Everything should work fine with the fx4 or lariat. I put the lariat cluster in my xlt and all of the computer data was there. The data is stored in the computer on every vehicle. I posted a thread about my replacement in this forum with pics, search for it and you will find it.

Old 07-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You actually took that picture while you were driving?

Old 07-09-2005, 05:12 PM
I had the same cluster as you

Todd it is very easily replaced. I replaced mine with the FX4

stock: remove two wire harnesses and 4 screws. disconnect prnd21 unit.

reconnect wire harness at the top of the cluster and 4 screws. The tricky part is reconnecting the "prnd21"

finding one on eBay and having to bid for one is the hard part. Make sure you find a vendor who can program your miles for you. be sure to disconnect your - battery cable before you start and the directions are easily understood which should come with the new cluster. I paid 225.00 on eBay.
When you are ready to do this you can e-mail me if you want and I can walk you through it. I had no idea what I was doing but had no problems at all.
idrivegt@comcast.net
a mod well worth doing

Scott

Last edited by Scott 7065; 07-09-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
That couldn't be any more dangerous than half of the idiots I see driving and talking on their cell phones!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by caimakale
Everything should work fine with the fx4 or lariat. I put the lariat cluster in my xlt and all of the computer data was there. The data is stored in the computer on every vehicle. I posted a thread about my replacement in this forum with pics, search for it and you will find it.
Thanks - I remember reading through that thread now but for the life of me did not remember it when I posted this thread!

Originally Posted by -TXF150-
Yes! It was taken like 10 minutes after I drove it off the lot

I think I might pick up an FX4 cluster as it would go better with my truck. caimakale - do you know if I would have to go through all the same stuff you did (pins, etc.) with just an FX4 cluster? I sure hope not...

Thanks again for your help guys.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:43 PM
FX4 cluster drops in. No pins to solder. But you still have to get the mileage done, and you still have to have the dealership program it for you, and that adds usually 85 bucks to the cost.
Chris

Old 07-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by caimakale

Dont mean to hijack, but I also read that post and was wondering where you found the steering wheel? I want one from an FX4 and cannot find anything at least on ebay.

Does the CC still work? Was it easy to install?

Old 07-10-2005, 12:25 AM
I got mine on ebay. They don't show up often, but they are on there. I usually check ebay every day or two, and will usually see one, but they go fast.

Cruise still works fine, and I must admit, the steering wheel is one area I do like leather. I don't know about you guys, but my hands would stick to the old steering wheel and it drove me crazy. I love the leather wrapped one and haven't had any probs with it. Mine came off easily, although others have said they needed to get a steering wheel puller in order to get theirs off.

Remember, the F150 and expedition have the exact same steering wheels. I am not sure of which years these are the same for.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:59 AM
I didnt know the Expedition and the F150s had the same... Ill try checking out eBay. I got a leather cover to go over mine for now.. it has thick rubber on the underside to keep it from moving around.. but when we put it on, it ripped a little as its a tad small. But I love the feeling so Im hanging onto it until I find one of these steering wheels!

Old 07-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Scott what gauges you got in that pillar pod?

Nice setup

Old 07-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks Cliff05fx4

trans temp, water temp, and a/f ratio, all are Autometer Cobalts and they light up nicely at night.

Scott

Old 07-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Cliff05FX4
Scott what gauges you got in that pillar pod?

Nice setup
I like that as well, but don't know if I can do without my Oh ***** handle!

Quick Reply: Can speedometer clusters be replaced/upgraded??