2004 - 2008 F-150

Aftermarket HU Install How to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket HU Install How to?

I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy a kenwood DNX7017 HU, along with a better set of speakers. I am just trying to do my homework, and researching about the install using the search forums, and I am not coming up with much. Are there any how to's out there with this type of install. I have never messed with a HU of this caliber before.

I already know how to remove the factory radio, and install the new speakers. Just looking for info on how to hook up the harness, and install the trim kit around radio. Tips and tricks. Or any other thing you all think I should know.

Posted here due to the lack of responses in aftermarket section.

Thanks,

jrbhc8

Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Suspended
Do you have the center console with the shifter? It's super easy though. I've done a lot of headunit installs and 2004+ F150s are by far the easiest.

Pull the trim around the radio, air conditioning controls, etc and disconnect the airbag sensor and everything else like the air conditioning. It will expose four 6mm or 8 mm bolts that hold the radio in, remove those. Everything on the back of the radio is just plugs so you don't need any tools for that. Once you've got everything apart, set up the dash kit. Reinstall, it's a cinch.

The door speakers aren't hard either. The front door panels can be a pain trying to get back on though. But there are two bolts in the door handles under a cover. You need to pop off the cover where the window switches are and there is a bolt in there you need to remove. There are a few bolts on the bottom of the door panels as well. The front doors when you pull the speaker grille off, take the speaker out and remove the two upper spacers for the speaker. This makes reinstalling the door panel MUCH easier. The rear doors if you have a four door have a trim on the rear upper area, pull the trim and there should be two bolts in there. It's all pretty easy though.

I hope this helps a little, I sure did write a mini novel.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

if you can solder wires, you'll be fine. its very simple.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys, I have the shift on the steering wheel in my XLT. I've taken the radio of my dash apart many times just out of curiosity, and I have the Mark LT handles so I am pretty familiar with the speaker setup.

I guess what I just don't understand is the new harness I am going to have to buy. I guess it's just plug the factory harness into the new harness right. With maybe a little soldering here and there. I would probably see it easier if it was laying in front of me right now.

jrbhc8

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Suspended
If you're buying a harness than you won't need to do ANY soldering.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM
This is one thing that I like to go with Crutchfield about. If you purchase a tuner from them, it should come with the proper harness. I guess if you purchase a tuner from someone else, you could buy the proper harness from Crutchfield??? either way, that certainly makes it MUCH easier....also, many times the aftermarket units need a bracket to mount it in your vehicle, so you need to do a little homework on that too.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
If you're buying a harness than you won't need to do ANY soldering.
Well that makes it easier, thank for the info.

many times the aftermarket units need a bracket to mount it in your vehicle, so you need to do a little homework on that too.
The bracket you are talking about is the trim around the radio, or a bracket to support the radio. I thought it was just held in by the 4 screws that came from the factory setup.

jrbhc8

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU Install How to?