2004 - 2008 F-150

Air Force One Intake Question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Force One Intake Question??

I just purchase an 2005 F-150 FX4 super cab. I am looking at air intakes and like the AF1(25whp)? Is it worth $300, What does it sound like at WOT, Cruising, Idle, etc... Does it hiss at idle or low rpm cruising or is it just audible when you're getting on it a bit. Are there any problems installing it, etc... Will I really notice any HP gains??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Last edited by jdant; 06-29-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by jdant
I just purchase an 2005 F-150 FX4 super cab. I am looking at air intakes and like the AF1(25whp)? Is it worth $300, What does it sound like at WOT, Cruising, Idle, etc... Does it hiss at idle or low rpm cruising or is it just audible when you're getting on it a bit. Are there any problems installing it, etc... Will I really notice any HP gains??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Everyone and their MOM will say yes because that is the only thing they have.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 AM
If you get it its really just the sound i heard with a tuner it makes a difference but i really only noticed the sound. I really dont think its that great of a product others will disagree but i would rate it as average probably better jsut shooting for a tuner for a few more bucks.
But the sound one word "BADA$$" like a muscle car.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by asinatra

Everyone and their MOM will say yes because that is the only thing they have.
My mom thinks Air Force 1 is an airplane! Geez what does she know..

Old 06-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO, yes, it's worth it.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Buy It!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
If you own this with the 5.4L, please read my first question and try to give me some answers- other than buy it. Thanks

Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Buy It!

Originally Posted by jdant
If you own this with the 5.4L, please read my first question and try to give me some answers- other than buy it. Thanks
Is it worth $300:
it was for me

What does it sound like at WOT, Cruising, Idle:
Mine was louder than h*ll on the highway and at WOT originally. I moved the filter further out on the tube last nite and I barely hear it now, it does obviously get louder at WOT. Keep in mind I have a flowmaster exhaust so it's already loud so that may cover some of the noise.

Does it hiss at idle or low rpm cruising or is it just audible when you're getting on it a bit:
I don't hear it at all, unless I get on it (see disclaimer above about exhaust though).

Are there any problems installing it:
Easy, easy. Just don't push the filter all the way back on the tube (you'll see in the instructions), thats where my noise came from.

Will I really notice any HP gains??
Will YOU? I don't know, I DID notice a seat of the pants difference even before putting in the custom tuning.

Buy It!

Old 06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
I'll echo NJSteve FX4. Quiet at idle, no hiss. Cruising you can hear it but it's not loud. Very nice muted tone. Get on it and you'll know it's there. Do like others have said though and install the filter towards the end of the tube. If you slide the filter on all the way it WILL be VERY loud at times. Now that I have slid the filter out it is very nice sounding.

Performance increase? Mileage increase? Yes. I can feel it and racing my bro-in-law's Silverado I beat him by a consistent amount more than I USED to consistently beat him by. As for MY driving type and style I appear to have gained about 1 mpg for my normal, average driving. As for TRYING to get good mileage by being easy on the highway, I'd say I have gained a good 2 mpg. But these numbers are gathered with no control, so it is just me doing the best I can and recording.

Now was it worth $300? Not really to me, but the options for much under $300 are limited. AirRaid Jr or just a filter seem to be the only substantially cheaper alternatives though.

Overall, I'd say get it...I would again

Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 AM
MACK Brand

I had a MACK cold air intake professionally installed in my 04 F-150 Lariot 4x4 SuperKrew. Much less than $300 and I can't hear it at all (zero) when the truck is moving. Very satisfied. MACK may not be everyone's cup of tea ... but that's my input. Combined with the Magnaflow SIDO exhaust I'm getting about 2-3 MPG improvement on the highway.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I just order it from Troyer (backordered of course ) yesterday. Will I see a difference with stock exhaust? I have yet to decide which exhaust to purchase. I want a nice throaty rumble under normal driving conditions. I am leaning to Borla, single rear exit with a dual tip. only one other person has posted that they have Borla exhaust. Is it because it is still fairly new? Expensive?
Any help on choosing an exhaust system would be greatly appretiated.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I bought an AF1, once all of the R&D had been done and it was confirmed that it wouldn't throw a CEL. Not only diid it throw CELs, but the mass airflow sensor didn't fit in the tube socket out of the box, requiring additional grinding.

On the otherhand, I did reset the PCM, which we now know you shouldn't; this may contribute to the CEL situation. And I am seeing 1-2 mpg better mileage (which may just be because of the warmer temps; during the winter I was getting 14.5 mpg, now I'm @ 16-16.5 mpg).

As for performance, I'm not too impressed... but this is my only mod thus far.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Suspended
I think I'll be going with Air-Raid when the time comes unless AF1 makes some changes.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Has anyone considered the cold air intake in relation to living in an area with high temps not giving the same performance as, say, in Michigan or Alaska? I know it is still a gain, but some tend to blast the performance gains, when in fact, location may take some of the blame.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by TAT2278
Has anyone considered the cold air intake in relation to living in an area with high temps not giving the same performance as, say, in Michigan or Alaska? I know it is still a gain, but some tend to blast the performance gains, when in fact, location may take some of the blame.
I live in the northeast, where the weather runs the gamut, from fridigly cold and humid to brutally hot and humid.

I can tell you, I've had some runs with the factory air intake that 'seemed' (there's that butt dyno again) much faster than with the AF1. But everytime I mention this, I add the caveat that this is the only mod I have and an exhaust and chip may just unleash the AF1.

Quick Reply: Air Force One Intake Question??