2004 - 2008 F-150

Ground Force shackles installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I just installed the Ground Force shackles myself this afternoon. It was a pretty easy install for anyone that has a decent collection of mechanics tools -- took me a total of about 3-1/2 hours doing it solo in my garage this afternoon.

Some tools you should probably have before attempting an install:

* Floor Jack
* Jack Stands
* 1/2" Ratchet With 15mm, 18mm & 21mm Sockets
* 1/2" Breaker Bar
* 15mm, 18mm, & 21mm Combination Wrenches
* Various Extensions
* Plastic Mallet

I did it solo, but it would have been handy to have another set of hands available -- mainly to be a "gopher" for tools, and to raise the jack up and down while I adjusted the various suspension components. But it can be easily done solo -- just takes a bit more time!

I did the full 2" drop and am glad I did -- it levels out the truck just enough, leaving a very subtle rake to the vehicle. It is more apparent in person than it is in photos -- you can see a "Before" and "After" shot in my gallery!

My kit came with the shims and I installed them -- really not much to it. I took it out for a test drive after I was done and could notice no vibration and no appreciable difference in handling or ride quality.

For anyone who is thinking about this mod, I say go for it!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive done it on a few trucks now, and i can knock it out in about 30 mins. a blowtorch really helps, if you heat the red threadlocker on the nuts before taking them off, they come off like butter, and all i used was a socket in my hand so i didnt burn myself on it. once you know how to do it, its just time consuming, not really "hard" but a gofer REALLY helps, to grab tools and run the jack, just make sure you trust them

Old 06-30-2005, 12:11 AM
Since I'm not the most experienced mechanic in the world but a quick learner, can you use the drop shackles on a 4WD? Or will they only work on a 2WD?

Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, but.....

Why would you want to drop a 4x4? Usually "drops" are done on a 4x2 when you're going for a street performance look.

Even talking about dropping a 4x4 might be considered heresy by some of the "mudders" around here!

Old 06-30-2005, 06:01 AM
ooooh now youre in trouble!!! haha, yes baja, it should work on a 4wd as well, but the full 2 inch may be too much, i would use the other 1.5 holes for it. theres nothing wrong with lowering a 4x4. some people dont use it for offroading, and the handling and stability is greatly improved with the lowering shackles

Old 06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
I knew I would open up a can of worms by asking that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't do a lot of offroading and I really like a more level look. I debated on getting a leveling kit for the front end but decided against it since my tires are only 31" in height. I may eventually upgrade to some 33" Nitto's. There's just way too much space in the wheel wells for my taste.

Does anybody sell gap guards for the 04-05 F-150's?

Quick Reply: Ground Force shackles installed