2004 - 2008 F-150

AF1 & CEL...maybe this is a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile AF1 & CEL...maybe this is a fix???

I MIGHT have a cure...at least on my rig...

My AF1 caused a CEL on my 04 Lariat. During install I DID disconnect the battery. Subsequent straightening and tightening of the installation, as well as about 20 drive-cycles (and a few 1714 code resets) got the CEL to finally go away. So after the CEL appeared to be gone for good I decided to try it again. I disco'd the battery and sure enough, couple of drives later there is the CEL. Same codes - P0171, P0174 and P1000.

Alright, start over again. But I also wanted to get rid of that loudest certain-load moan by utilizing the idea posted by others...you know, moving the AF1 filter to the very end of the intake tube. So I move the filter, which cured the moan. Reset my codes via 1714 tuner and have not had a CEL in over 50 drive-cycles which include short runs, 40 mile cruises, WOT, 3000 RPM in neuatral with no load, pulls up hills, etc.

Previously I could have guaranteed to get a 171 or 174 code within 2 or 3 drives and a CEL within 5 or 6 drives after a battery reset. (I have done this a few times now to try and prove a point).

So I pushed the filter back ALLLL the way onto the tube and sure enough, next day get the CEL on the way back from work. Reset codes, move filter a little bit and...CEL within a few drive cycles. Did this 6 times over a week and a half and consistently got the CEL, as expected.

Finally reset codes, reset battery, put AF1 filter back at the extreme end of the tube (thank god for the quiet) and have not had any CEL or 171/174 codes after a week of commute and running errands.

Maybe too early to tell for sure but this seems pretty consistent. The best I could do for a control on all this was to drive a similar route in a similar manner, use the same tank of gas and the weather was consistent during these day.

something worth trying, for those of you having the CEL issue with the AF1

Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM
You would think that if placement of the cone on the end of the intake tube was that important they would place a stop of some sort to keep it from being slid too far back...?

I think I'm going to go with the air raid, the AF1 looks nice and all but wayyyyy to many people on here are having trouble for the whole 1 or 2 hp more you might get from the AirRaid or K&N kits.... I've been holding off to decide but it's not looking too good.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Suspended
Im with you Jay.

I don't even think I should get an intake considering I go offroad? It'd be a lot of work to keep cleaning them. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 PM
AirAid here and no problems after probably 5000+ miles and I did not disconnect the battery either!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AK Jay
(Snip
You would think that if placement of the cone on the end of the intake tube was that important they would place a stop of some sort to keep it from being slid too far back...?
The instructions that come with it show a picture of the proper placement of the “Power Stack Filter”

Step 21
Fig - 21

Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 AM

I think I'm going to go with the air raid, the AF1 looks nice and all but wayyyyy to many people on here are having trouble for the whole 1 or 2 hp more you might get from the AirRaid or K&N kits.... I've been holding off to decide but it's not looking too good.

I also have been reading with great interest all the posts I can find on the AF1 and Airaid. From what I can tell thus far there is a lot of brand loyality for AF1 and Troyer. I also understand they are a supporter of this site. I have purchased several other items myself from Troyer and will continue to also. This is not meant to be anything against Troyer, they are great.

But I have just heard too many people indicateing they have had problems with the AF1. I also wouldn't doubt many more may have had an issue with the AF1 and just aren't saying. Why would you have to clear CEL codes and do several drive cycles in order to determine if the product you just bought will continue to work on your vehicle without problems/issues? I'm not trying to saying this happens on every vehicle, but it does seem to be happening to often.

With all that being said I expect to take a flame or two for saying this but, I think the Airaid will most likely be the choice I make. I have used Airaid on a couple of vehicles in the past and had no issues and good power gains. I know there are 1000 happy AF1 owners for every 10 I read about that have problems, but it is those 10 people and there problems that worry me the most.

That is the whole point of using this site, other peoples ideas and concerns being expressed in an open manner.

Just my thoughts, have a good Holiday weekend everyone.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Not flaming but, if you extend that "train of thought" to Ford and other truck manufacturers in general you’d be walking.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
Not flaming but, if you extend that "train of thought" to Ford and other truck manufacturers in general you’d be walking.
Thanks for your comments,

Old 06-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
The instructions that come with it show a picture of the proper placement of the “Power Stack Filter”

Step 21
Fig - 21
Yet what appear to be fairly competent people are still having issues that require a re-adjustment of the filter...

I'm gonna wait until the end of the summer give you guys more time to work out all the bugs for me. However I'm thinking If Troyer will do it, I'll get the stage one with an AirRaid, I believe I saw someone post he was willing to do that.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Yet what appear to be fairly competent people are still having issues that require a re-adjustment of the filter...

I'm gonna wait until the end of the summer give you guys more time to work out all the bugs for me. However I'm thinking If Troyer will do it, I'll get the stage one with an AirRaid, I believe I saw someone post he was willing to do that.
Yep, Troyer definitely swaps intakes to meet your preferences in the “Stage One” kits

Quick Reply: AF1 & CEL...maybe this is a fix???