2004 - 2008 F-150

Need a little electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little electrical help

Hi Folks, been lurking a couple of weeks.

I am planning on adding a relay system that will turn on the lights in my cap when the auxiliary light turns on (the lights on either side of the third brake light). I will also have a switch inside the cap.

What I need to know is the best location to tie into the light and the color(s) of the wire I should be looking for.

Thanks,

Dave

2005 F-150 Lariat SCrew (Company Vehicle)
Leer XQ Cap (don't get me started) w/remote
In-channel Ventshades
XM Radio
Remote gate lock on the way from Dynolock

Old 06-14-2005, 08:12 PM
WELCOME to the board!! Now lemme make sure what you are asking....do you mean you want all the interior lights to come on with the bed lighting? It already has a switch for that. You roll the dimmer all the way up untill it clicks.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Dome supervision wire is black/blue in the drivers side kick panel on the 04's. Not sure about 05's but probably the same

Old 06-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I think he wants the canopy light to come on with the white loading lights on the back of the cab!

Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Yep, cap lights come on with loading lights (switch on dash, keyless enty); switch in cap only controls cap lights.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by SafetyDaveG
Yep, cap lights come on with loading lights (switch on dash, keyless enty); switch in cap only controls cap lights.

Thanks,

Dave

If they are on the same circuit, you will have to add a diode to keep from 'bleeding' power back into the cab when you turn the lights on in the cap. That is, if I understand your wishes.
Or where you thinking of a parallel circuit, using a relay that in only hot when the Cab lights are on? The diode would be cheaper, and maybe easier
Just wondering.

Be sure you want to do this, as Ford does not want ANYTHING tied to the dome light circuit, as it goes through the IP and into the PCM. Part of the security system on the trucks.
Chris

Chris

Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks Chris, now you have me thinking. I was going to use a Bosch type relay triggered by the loading light. Actually was going to use two units: NO on R1 when closed turns on cap lights; NC on R1 feeds common on R2. NO on R2 feeds lights when closed. Clear as mud?

Do you know if the alarm system has any other auxiliary outputs (I kind of doubt it, OEM tends not to offer anything other than exactly what they are going to use)?

Dave

Last edited by SafetyDaveG; 06-14-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 AM
For mine, I disconnected the bed lights at the 3rd brake light, then ran a jumper from that line back to the light.

The Ideal way to do it, someday I will rewire mine if I get very bored, but anyway, the best way would be to grab the +12v on any of the dome lights, and use that to trigger a relay placed on a +12 ran straight from the battery. A SPST switch wired in parallel to the relay (with long leads to put the switch by the door of the cap for convenience) would allow you to turn the light on/off without needing the dome lights on.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:46 AM
SafetyDaveG, So you want to go with the parallel circuit. Are you doing this to add an alarm capability to the camper shell? Splicing in a wire from the drivers door trigger and adding a trigger at the shell would work as well, I would think.
Or maybe I am not following your game plan.

On lights, having the lights in the cap hooked to the dome light might not work out as well as you might expect.

Oh well, I don't have enough of a clue as to your goals.
Good luck.
Chris

Quick Reply: Need a little electrical help