2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 F140 Screw XLT 4x4 after two weeks:

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 Screw XLT 4x4 after two weeks:

Bottom Line- I LOVE MY TRUCK!

I bought my F-150 two weeks ago. Funny thing is, I didn't really research the thing. I just bleed Ford blue so I knew I'd get an F series when truck time came around.

I immediately began soaking up everything I could from this site. I actually started lurking here when I owned a '95 Lightning several years ago, but I didn't register until recently. Anyway, this particular forum has been very helpful with learning everything I can learn about my vehicle.

The shudder at low rpms in OD? Mine does it, but if I jab the throttle it downshifts and stays in 3rd so I usually do that or turn OD off. Brake dust? It does that too. I'll either get ceramic pads or dust shields. Fuel Economy? I just filled up the tank for the first time today. It got 13.7 mpg in the city (always in a 45mph zone or less) and that's WITH the A/C on the whole time. That's pretty much right on with what the sticker suggested. Piston Slap? Who knows? My motor does make a little bit of noise in the first 10 seconds or so after start up, but hey, it's under warranty. I'll put synthetic in it soon enough, and then I won't worry so much about the cylinders.

My only mod so far has been to remove all of the dealer's badging and plates, and tint the front windows 20%. I love the look of this thing!

Driving impression- THIS TRUCK IS AWESOME! I think it rides like a car... a NICE car! It feels very solid, and QUIET! I've driven F series trucks from the 70s on up and this thing is just in a league of it's own! I truly am amazed at how nicely it rides. Smooth, quiet, but firm enough to feel the road and know what the truck's doing. I like it. It has been VERY hot and humid here in Southern Kentucky, but the A/C cranks cold enough to freeze my ears off, even under direct sunlight in my black truck! It's not the most powerful thing in the world, but with the 5.4L/3.73 LSD combo, it'll step sideways under the right conditions. I've hauled a couple loads of trash in it, a friend's exhaust, and even put my mountain bike in the bed and it's got enough room to satisfy my utility needs. Had the in-laws in town this weekend and there was plenty of room for my family and my cousins-in-law. I think this truck is great. It definitely deserves the accolades it's received.

F-150 vs. Titan:
Yeah, you knew it was coming. I've seen all of the hype here, so I decided to check it out for myself. I'd already bought my F-150, but I wanted to see what the competition was up to, so I test drove a similarly equipped Titan yesterday morning.

There is no doubt that even though the Titan only has a little bit more hp and torque, it pulls A LOT harder!!! It was hysterical roasting the tires on that thing with the salesman in the truck with me. (I know, I was bad, but hey, I had to see for myself)

With that said, I wouldn't have bought a Titan even if it were $10,000 less!! It just felt CHEAP! It felt just like a Toyota Corolla I once got as a rental. Other than sitting higher off of the ground and having good power at the push of the pedal, it just felt like a cheaply made japanese vehicle. The steering felt vague, the suspension was worse, and the controls were just not what I'd expect out of such a highly touted vehicle. I also felt like the styling left a lot to be desired, but that's just an opinion. When I looked at the rear axle, I nearly laughed out loud with the salesman standing next to me. That truck DOES NOT look like it was built to last. It was DEFINITELY not Built Ford Tough!

Really the only thing I don't like about my F150 compared to the Titan is the power/acceleration. Now, I've got quite a bit more experience with Mustangs than I do with F-150s, but here's my educated guess. I suspect that Ford REALLY dropped the ball with the computer programming in the engine management system. It seems like the whole vehicle is overengineered, but the engine programming was thrown together at the last minute. Between the questionable shifting, lack of throttle response, and uninspiring acceleration, it just seems like the computer is the culprit.

My guess is, the Troyer "Stage 1" kit will make up for the factory's shortcomings, and my F-150 will outshine the Titan in every aspect after those mods are done on my truck. Time will tell on that one. I used my loose funds as a down payment, so I might not get "Stage 1" done until around the end of the year.

All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase. I'm sure I made the right choice. Watching "the truth about trucks" and visiting this site has reaffirmed me of that.

Feel free to comment-

Last edited by Sharad; 06-12-2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: proofreading owns mee!
Old 06-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the site. You do know that 20% on the front windows is illegal in KY, don't you? 35% is the max.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks! and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 06-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sharad
Really the only thing I don't like about my F150 compared to the Titan is the power/acceleration. Now, I've got quite a bit more experience with Mustangs than I do with F-150s, but here's my educated guess. I suspect that Ford REALLY dropped the ball with the computer programming in the engine management system. It seems like the whole vehicle is overengineered, but the engine programming was thrown together at the last minute. Between the questionable shifting, lack of throttle response, and uninspiring acceleration, it just seems like the computer is the culprit.

My guess is, the Troyer "Stage 1" kit will make up for the factory's shortcomings, and my F-150 will outshine the Titan in every aspect after those mods are done on my truck. Time will tell on that one. I used my loose funds as a down payment, so I might not get "Stage 1" done until around the end of the year.

All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase. I'm sure I made the right choice. Watching "the truth about trucks" and visiting this site has reaffirmed me of that.

Feel free to comment-

Congrats on buying your truck!

Personally, I bought my truck to be a truck not a sports car... I think the factory programming is just fine for what I need the truck to do.

You silly people and wanting your trucks to be sports cars... heh heh

Old 06-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Glad you love your truck! I love mine too! I have an 04 5.4L Screw XLT and am in love as well. I havent noticed any of those quirks other than the brake dust and I had 2 instances of the truck shutting off when I went to go after the light turned green at an intercection but I had that fixed and all is good. I love how it tows however it really drops down low with a load so I will need my receiver to be 2" HIGHER not lower.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by AK Jay
Personally, I bought my truck to be a truck not a sports car... I think the factory programming is just fine for what I need the truck to do.

You silly people and wanting your trucks to be sports cars... heh heh
My desire for tire shredding torque comes not from wanting a sports car. I have a Saleen for that. The desire comes from wanting to TOW the Saleen to various NMRA races.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 PM
I owned a 97 F150 5.4L for 7+ years. I added an underdrive pulley kit, but other than that, I made no mods to it. I bought an 05 FX4 a few months back because my brother-in-law really wanted my 97 truck. The 97 was still in PERFECT running condition and I never did anything to it. He gave me $6000 so I figured that plus my few thousand would make a great down payment on the new one ... anyway, I ramble.

Point is this. The new F150 is MUCH more sluggish than previous models. Say what you want about trucks, but I want to feel the engine in ANY vehicle I drive, and the new Ford F150s are under powered IMHO. My 97 with approx 245HP will smoke my new 05 FX4 with 300HP. My best guess is that it is due to the added weight of the new truck.

Don't get me wrong. The new F150 is the best truck ever built. Period. I love my new truck. But it wouldn't spin the tires on dry asphalt if it had to. My 97 would. Personally, I'll be researching computer tune-ups and intake upgrades.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
What a coincidence I too love my truck !!!!!!

These trucks rock ..... ( ya they do )

Old 06-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kd4crs
You do know that 20% on the front windows is illegal in KY, don't you? 35% is the max.
Ha ha, Ive got 2.5% on one of my vehicles.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Ha ha, Ive got 2.5% on one of my vehicles.

It'd be cheaper to put plywood up in the windows...paint it black and you'd have the same effect.

Or...just paint the windows black...you could pick a factory-matched color!

Old 06-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Nice read bro, and welcome to the site. Where are the pics?

Old 06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Just haven't made a gallery yet... I will soon!

I'm seriously considering putting Stage I on my credit card, but I shouldn't...

Quick Reply: 2005 F140 Screw XLT 4x4 after two weeks: