2004 - 2008 F-150

Tonneau covers...who's got what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tonneau covers...who's got what?

Making some advanced planning, I foresee a cover of some type or another in my future, by this fall hopefully. But there's a bajillion different types out there, so what do you got? Pictures would be cool too. I'm not particularly dead set on any specific brand, but I would prefer something low profile and light, light enough to be lifted off by myself if I ever need the entire bed. Hard or soft lids, doesn't matter to me.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Undercover and love it. It is less expensive, weighs less, and doesn't need waxing/care like the fiberglass ones. Plus you and one other person can easily remove it.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kd4crs
I have the Undercover and love it. It is less expensive, weighs less, and doesn't need waxing/care like the fiberglass ones. Plus you and one other person can easily remove it.
kd,

How much did you pay for your Undercover? I was quoted $695 installed in Durham, NC.

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:18 AM
I got the Ford soft tonneau with snaps. Looks great, rolls up nice and neat,
not too expensive (though due to a nitwit tech scratching my wheel I got
mine for free) 20 minutes to install, very water tight and held up excellent this winter with all the snow that fell on it ....

I would get another in a heartbeat if needed .....
(pic in gallery)

Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm looking at the Extang Saber. Does anyone have it?
They say it's designed for high speeds and was tested at Indy.
Snapless design.

Last edited by Unyalli; 06-10-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best deal I could find was $585.00 installed not including taxes. Check it out at:Undercover info..

Old 06-10-2005, 08:43 AM
I have the Access roll up, very happy with it. Tonno.com is a good place to check out. The Access was easy to install, has the ribs built in and holds up well. You can check their web site and even get a DVD from them.

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I have the Access Limited Edition Roll-up. Works great. No snaps, but tension bar on the back and velvcro for the sides. Only issue was that I had to shave the ends of the rails down a bit to get my bed extender to work with it.
Took about 5 minutes with a roto-zip to cut it down.

Snappless ones that I have seen tend to curl up at the rear corners over time. I have 3 friends with the Extang that all curled.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:49 AM
I had the Extang Saber on my Dodge Truck 5 years ago (before I saw the light and became a Ford owner). It was a very nice cover BUT . . .

If you ever took it off in the winter it was VERY difficult to reinstall as it would shrink from the temperature. You had to put it in a warm climate to get it to expand, or kill yourself trying to stretch it onto the rails.

I have the Extang R/T currently on my F150. I like it very much. Very low profile, uses velcro on side rails and locks in at the tailgate. Easy to install and remove at any outside temperature. I've had it for 8 months now so have seen the gambit of temperatures. It also has an adjustment to tighten or loosen for shrink/swell. Occassionally, if I don't have it tight enough, it holds a tad of water from rain storms, but not enough to make it sag. No bow to it, you cannot see it from the side like other covers. I don't have any pictures of it directly. Perhaps I'll take a couple and post them. Here is my truck with the cover on (you cannot tell there is a cover). There are more pictures in my gallery, but you cannot really see the cover in any, even the back view.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by budget
Snappless ones that I have seen tend to curl up at the rear corners over time. I have 3 friends with the Extang that all curled.
Ah yes, gotta dig these message boards. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by cscoios

I was quoted $695 installed in Durham, NC.

Thanks.
Another Carolina guy...

I've got a berlin hinged cover. I'd recommend staying away from those, as this one was very poorly designed. had to make some modifications to it to stop the rattle as I was going down the road. I'll probably get a roll-back while I'm overseas, though.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Access here an love it.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
pace edwards ...jack rabbit best roll up top out there !!!! they even make an electric one for the super lazy!!

Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Advance Cover here (some call it the K-Cover). Love it. Hard top folding cover. About $575 delivered. Damn near water tight. Lockable. Low profile (about 1 inch). Only weighs @ 25-30 lb. I can completly remove mine in less than 5 minutes by myself. Can use the tailgate without opening the cover....

I like the look of the Undercover best, but I needed something that I can remove anywhere and haul the cover as cargo if I pick up something taller than the bed. I am really pleased with what I got.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Undercover here.

$450 installed.

Pics in gallery

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Quick Reply: Tonneau covers...who's got what?