2004 - 2008 F-150

Do-it-yourself bedliner, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do-it-yourself bedliner, anyone?

Anyone applied their own brush\roll on bedliner? What product did you use?

Old 06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I used the product Herculiner on my previous F-150. I would reccommend spending the $$ to get a Rhino Liner or the like sprayed in. For what it was, the product worked pretty good, but after a couple of years, it started to go away, and you could see alot of the original paint showing through it in the sun. If you plan on using a tonno cover, and keeping it out of direct sunlight, I'd say go for it, otherwise, I think the spray ins are better.
I have used the Herculiner on the floor of a 79 Bronco I had, and it worked great. I think it's the sun that kills it.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Pig is right on. Out in the sun for a couple years and it starts to grind off and cover everything in the bed with black grit.

better low cost optio would be a bedrug or bedmat

Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Ditto.

I used Herculiner on my 97 F250. I put it on in 2000 or 2001. It worked fine because it was more or less a work truck, and I didn't care if the bed looked "pretty" or not. It worked fine for what I needed, but it did start to come up and wear thin in places as time went by.
I just sold that truck to my brother in law. The bed looks OK, but when you get up close you can see it. He isn't much concerned either.

If it's a new truck, and you:
1, want it to look nice
2, have 4-5 hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket
3, are really hung up on quality,
sure, go for a line-x or rhino. I have Line-x in my current two trucks. The F-150 came with it from the dealer. I didn't care, but as time when by I really started to like it. When I ordered the GMC Canyon, I asked the dealer to have it put in when the truck was delivered.
It really does look nice, and after 2 years on the ford, still looks new.

If you do decide to try the herculiner, you really need to pay attention to the directions. It's all about preperation. If you don't prep the bed right, it will come up prematurely. Also, be prepared to use more than what they claim. I think in the end I put about a gallon and a half on my LB F250, and probably could have easily put on another 1/2 gallon.

Also, if you get herculiner on your skin, it does NOT come off. The skin has to wear off on its own. I still have a pair of shorts that have probably been washed 100 times since I did it, and that stuff is still on there.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mmckenna
...Also, if you get herculiner on your skin, it does NOT come off. The skin has to wear off on its own. I still have a pair of shorts that have probably been washed 100 times since I did it, and that stuff is still on there.
Evidence to that, the most read thread in the history of the internet.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...threadid=18595

Old 06-09-2005, 05:05 PM
That post just cracked me up!!! I think I ruined my keyboard by spitting Coke alll over it.
Just to reinforce the point HERCULINER DOES NOT COME OUT OF CLOTHES. I had a "Herculiner Tatoo" on my arm for TWO WEEKS before it wore off. Dont spill it in your lap like that guy did!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Unbelievable raoul, how do you come up with stuff? I will never touch that stuff! I am sure it would happen to me.

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Damn! That was the funniest thing I've read in quite some time!

Scott

Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Dangit, Raoul, you beat me to it...

~sniffs~

You stole the story I stole from that guy who stole it from the guy who got Herculiner on his Hootus....

(actually, judging by all the hits on that website, there's probably a few thousand more "stole it from that guy who stole its" before I got it....)

Nothing more funny than the misfortune of others.

Quick Reply: Do-it-yourself bedliner, anyone?