2004 - 2008 F-150

Chris Adams, I need your advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Adams, I need your advise

Whoo Hoo! I finally won the FX4 cluster that I've been trying to win for forever now. My question to you is this, being not electrically inclined at all, is this something I can swap out myself or should I hire it out? If it is a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting wire harnesses, I think I can do it but not too sure what is involved in taking apart the dashboard pieces. I was able to figure out how to swap radio bezels which involved disconnecting a-c and air bag wire harnesses almost in the dark which was very frustrating, but I did it.

Thanks for your advise again
Scott

Old 06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Theres two harnesses that look like the ones similiar to the ac you have to pull, other than that it should be a whole bunch of 7mm bolts

Old 06-04-2005, 01:39 AM
The swap is a breeze. I have covered it in several posts, so you might want to check it out there, but off the top, it goes like this;
disconnect battery negative cable, 8mm wrench.
remove kick panel under steering wheel, two 7mm screws and pop it out. It goes somewhere you won't get it scratched.
Lower steering column.
Remove two lower cowl cover bolts. Remove cowl by popping it up and towards you.
Cowl is big and very easy to mark up, set it somewhere safe.
Unhook the two wiring harnesses. They have a cam lever. Easy to do.
Unhook the two 7 mm screws that hold it in place.

Tricky part;
Remove the gear indicator. Look your new one over carefully and see how the two clips are fastened. My fingers are to fat to unhook this easily, but you may be able to just reach under and unhook each side. The gear thingy hangs down.

If when you put in your new one and you are sure the gear indicator is clipped in right, if it doesn't match perfectly, you can adjust it with a set nut on the cable. This will make more sense when you pull it apart and see the black cable that moves the gear needle.

Reverse to install.
Then have dealer set the PCM, as required.

Better check for my other posts on this, as I am tired and it is late.
Best of luck,
Chris

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 06-04-2005 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Chris

Thanks so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it. I will look for you other threads as well.

Scott

Quick Reply: Chris Adams, I need your advise