2004 - 2008 F-150

Can you Install Homelink Visor in 2005 F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you Install Homelink Visor in 2005 F-150?

I just picked up my 2005 F-150 Supercrew lariat. It has everything I wanted, but Home Link.

It looks like the Homelink is just a different visor with the homelink buttons.

Anyone ever try this?

Old 05-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Yes, its an easy swap. All you need is +12v and Gnd. wires to make the new Homelink visor work, either from your overhead console or pull a couple up the A pillar like I did. The visor is Pretty frekin expensive from Ford though and junkyard pulls or eBay is another choice, but few and far between.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what I did....

Old 05-23-2005, 07:07 PM
bamorris 2

great spot to put it i dont like it in the visor to much wear grabin it or pushin it every time. great job!!!M.W.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I did exactly what bamorris did.. found one on ebay and put it in the overhead console. Much cheaper than buying the whole visor from Ford parts. Looks like it actually came that way!

Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I was thinking of creating a custom version to replace the crappy a$$ coin holder. Probably just a single garage door opener tho.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like what MYST did. He bought a replacement rearview mirror with autodimming and homelink built in. Do a search and you can turn up the posts.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Homelink in visor

If you feel around the right side of the visor you will find the outline of the filler for the homelink in most visors.

Pick up a homelink board on ebay for around $35, undo the material and snake the wires through. The material is "pinched" on the edges between the palstic halves. Use a screen roller to put it back.

Did this on my old Expy. Going to do it again on the new F150

Old 05-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Homelink board for 25 from e-bay, and installed it under the black rubber in the center tray. It works great, I have a power gate and the garage, so carrying two controls was a drag.
The Homelink is a very handy mod.
Chris

Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 PM
BAMORRIS or NYCMIKE1, do you have any pics of how you actually put the homelink controller in the console. I bought one off of ebay and got it out of the visor but I want to make sure I do this right before I cut up or drill my console piece. Do you have to drill 6 holes in the piece between the dome lights? 3 for the buttons, 2 for the clips and 1 for the LED light? Or did you just make 1 big hole and slide the box thru?

Old 06-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Will this work? Chris or the others that have installed this, can you give detailed instructions (possibly pics) on how you did this? Also, what if your garage has rolling codes, will this work? I already have a whole in the headliner under the overhead console so I guess the black portion could go in there. Just dont know how to wire it or what to wire it to. I did order my truck with the dvd prep package so I am assuming I should already have wires up there. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited by runnerbl; 06-25-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by runnerbl
Will this work? Chris or the others that have installed this, can you give detailed instructions (possibly pics) on how you did this? Also, what if your garage has rolling codes, will this work? I already have a whole in the headliner under the overhead console so I guess the black portion could go in there. Just dont know how to wire it or what to wire it to. I did order my truck with the dvd prep package so I am assuming I should already have wires up there. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

I put my Homelink on the plastic tray, under the mat.
I bought mine from a guy who was selling 'replacement' Homelink boards. I paid about 25 shipped. The dirty little secret of these, is that they are just a circuit board and buttons. You can tear any of the ones on Ebay apart, and use their 'guts'. I just bought the guts new. Cut four holes and I was finished. Go to Homelink website for instructions. Rolling codes have been handled since the late 90's. I use rolling codes on my power gate, and my garage door, not a problem. It also will learn X10 stuff, say to turn on a light when you drive up.

You just have to give it 12 volts, and a good ground. I hooked mine to only be on when the key is on, both for because I wouldn’t want it drawing power all the time, and it is safer, incase you push the button by mistake.
Almost too easy to be a mod.
Chris

pardon the dust, took this shot when I had just got back from vacation, and the truck had been sitting in the garage for three weeks.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:39 AM
JUST A WILD thought , with the homelink circuit bord do ya think you can rig it to the tool box with a lock

Old 06-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Noticed that Ford offers a rearview mirror with the Homelink feature and a compass and temperature display in their F150 accessory catalog. It is base part number 17700. Anyone familiar with this accessory?
I would like the temperature and direction indicators viewable by the other folks in the truck and this appears to do that.

Roger

Old 06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by skeeter USA
JUST A WILD thought , with the homelink circuit bord do ya think you can rig it to the tool box with a lock
Not sure what you mean? Use it to open a remote lock? Sure, why not? Or use it in a toolbox?
You can take any of these and hook them to a 3.00 twelve volt battery and carry it in your shirt pocket.
Nothing to do with the truck, just supply twelve volts and it's portable.

They could sell these as three button remotes. They would be smaller than a big garage door remote.

But then they couldn't charge the super high prices for them because folks would know they are just like any other universal remote. Just three buttons rather than one or two.
Chris

Quick Reply: Can you Install Homelink Visor in 2005 F-150?