2004 - 2008 F-150

will this get totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will this get totaled?

This is what happens when you let your girlfriend/designated driver drive your truck. The only question left besides where this ranks on my all time stupid idea list is will the adjuster total it. I really want them to do it because I was going to trade it in for a 4x4 anyway. What does everyone think. The pics are in my gallery.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5871

Old 05-16-2005, 09:24 PM
it looks like the frame is bent. in that case they will most likely total it. take anything off it you want NOW before its too late

Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think another member here, dammit I'm bad with names, T-boned a Toyota and bent the frame in his truck. Instead of totalling it out, the entire frame was replaced. Really depends on your insurance company I guess, IMO, frame damage = totalled.

Old 05-16-2005, 09:36 PM
What the heck happened? Run over a car bomb?

Old 05-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the limited pictures, it isn't totaled. It's really easy to figure. Take the value of the vehicle, subtract the salvage value and if the repairs are less than the difference, then it is repaired. You may be able to sell it to someone with the damage and take that money plus the repair cost and get rid of it. Or you may trade it in with the repair check and let them repair or sell it.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
well, i work in a body shop, and from what i can see this is gonna be a judgment call on the adjuster. bent frames can be fixed if they arent too bad, and we have put a new frame and bed under a 99 f150. your situation is going to depend on how many miles are on the truck and how it is equipped. you may be able to influence your insurance a little toward totaling it. IMO i wouldnt want the truck back, once its hit that hard, its never the same. no matter what the shop tells you. good luck with whatever happens

Old 05-16-2005, 10:03 PM
My girlfriend (soon to be ex) ran a red light and a Ford escape T-boned us. We were going around 25 they were going like 50. The part of the frame were the shock attaches is bent and it seems like that would be a load bearing area. So hopefully between that my driveshaft\transfercase, the leafsprings, rear axle, and the holes in my body and bed they will total it.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:06 PM
I have just under 4000 miles with the 4.6 in XLT 4x2 trim.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned
Hopfully things will work out for you and ur truck, if not new truck...let us know...

Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by $bigblack$
My girlfriend (soon to be ex) ran a red light and a Ford escape T-boned us. We were going around 25 they were going like 50. The part of the frame were the shock attaches is bent and it seems like that would be a load bearing area. So hopefully between that my driveshaft\transfercase, the leafsprings, rear axle, and the holes in my body and bed they will total it.
If its a 2wd you don't have a transfer case.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I think it was Anaheim's truck (sorry if I'm wrong Anaheim) that had the bent frame and I think he said it was like $12,000 and they still fixed it. Good luck and I hope noone was hurt.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
First sorry about your truck. Second why the HELL was she driving? If your not married to her never ever ever let your girlfriend drive your truck!

One other thing. I spent 3 yrs working in the autobody industry. Its going to be up to the adjuster but I've repaired worse and the owner couldn't tell the difference. He even came back a month later with a case of beer thanking me for the work. After all they built it once and it can be built again. I would however insist on a new frame and rear axle!

Last edited by 2005F150SC; 05-16-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
It all started with a bottle of beer, which led to another one and some rum, a little bit of jager and some more beer. I'll let your imaginations fill in the rest of that part. At around 2AM we decided to go home, me being the resposible member of society that I am, agreed to let bitch aka girlfriend drive( who was not drinking). So were making a left hand turn and she looks over at me to tell me how much better looking, funnier, smarter and tougher I am than everybody else and she doesn't notice the traffic light immediately after the turn that is red. About halfway through the next intersection someone elses must have taken the whole right of way thing a little to seriously. The rest is in my gallery. She is still my girlfriend and as long as they total the truck I really won't be that mad because I would have lost a couple of thousand on the trade in anyway. I'll never tell her that though!

Note

Some parts of this story have been changed to protect the innocent

Old 05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
If its a 2wd you don't have a transfer case.

So thats why it never seemed to work right!

Thanks for the correction. So does the driveshaft go straight into the tranny then?

Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by $bigblack$
So thats why it never seemed to work right!

Thanks for the correction. So does the driveshaft go straight into the tranny then?
Yep.

Quick Reply: will this get totaled?