2004 - 2008 F-150

Warranty work; Dealer says no work order?

Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warranty work; Dealer says no work order?

Sorry, lengthy post here, so bear with me!

Howdy all, longtime lurker here with an 04 Lariat Screw. My first truck, and now it's clear to me why you fellas are so obsessive about your trucks. I LOVE this truck!

I bought mine in Nov 04, and my husband fell in love with it. So he bought an 05 in April. First time he EVER washed both our vehicles every weekend, and even WAXED them...I can't BELIEVE IT!

And I never complain about how much time it takes.

Instead, I check once in a while to make certain he hasn't passed out from the heat, and if he looks too hot, I'll bring him another beer (I even pop the top for him!!!)

Last month, my speedometer became stuck at 60 mph, so I took it back to the dealer, and also asked them to check the A/C which wasn't blowing cold enough (which I'd read on this forum so I knew to ask about-thanks!), and check the noisy brakes (again read here-thank you).

Service guys told me when they hooked it up to the computer to see what was wrong, the speedometer fixed itself suddenly, and since it was working correctly, they didn't pursue it any further. They also said the A/C wasn't completely charged - so they charged it for me, and they filed down the brake pads so they wouldn't be noisy any more (which wasn't exactly what I thought they'd do).

I asked for some kind of work order, so I'd have something in my possession that would tell me exactly what was done to the truck. And the service tech said they don't usually give those or have those for warranty work. Uncomfortable pause, so I left.

Couple of weeks ago, the speedo got stuck again, and at the exact same moment, the truck hesitated, ran a little rough, and throughout the day, I smelled a weird smell 3 or 4 times, like rubber or electrical. I'd also like to mention that 3-4 times in the last month I've noticed the smell of fuel, and I am inside the cab when I smell it, and it goes away quickly.

Took it back to dealer that afternoon, service tech drives it around to the back, says he smelled it in the cab like anti-freeze or oil. So after a week in the shop, they told me they replaced the instrument cluster, that the smell was probably because it was running a little rich, and they reflashed the PCM, and that fixed everything.

I went to pick it up, and a woman in front of me asked "Can I get a copy of the work order or invoice or whatever?" and the guy says no, they don't have those for warranty work. She just looked at me, rolled her eyes and left.

So I walk up, they tell me what they did, and I asked for a work order or something I could keep with my records so I'd know what exactly was done. The guy says the same thing, and I leave empty handed.

Driving home, the truck felt sluggish at take-off, not quite as zippy, and the A/C is not working like before...it's blowing warmer, and even the fan isn't blowing as hard. By day 2, the truck is running better (no longer sluggish at take-off), but the A/C still sucks.

I apologize for this lengthy post, I really do, but has anyone had a problem with their truck running worse after reflash, and do you have any thoughts on the dealer not wanting to give me a copy of whatever they actually did to my truck? Is that weird?

Old 05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, they should've provided you with something...

The sluggish feeling is probably due to a PCM reflash and your truck is slowly 'relearning' your driving style. As for the AC, not sure. There shouldn't be any difference in that...

RP

Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
yeah, they should provide you with a work order, and normally you would have to sign a copy for them? I would complain to them about it again, and them tell them you'll contact Ford directly about this if they don't get your problems straightened out.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 PM
That's the very first thing I asked: If I needed to sign something, and they said no, not for warranty work. So that's when I asked for a copy of the work order or whatever they've got, and they said they don't have those for warranty work. They didn't even make a move to get anything for me, so I just left. Wondering if I should just call the general manager, since the service manager is one of them that told me they didn't have any kind of work order for warranty items.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I just know you should get a receipt/work order no matter what you had done. I had my rear end clutch packs replaced and PCM flashed/updated under warranty, and also a state inspection/emissions test done at the same time, and I got a detailed work order about everything done. And my dad had the engine cam phaser replaced in his 04 XLT under warranty (at a different dealer than mine!), and I saw his work order, it was very detailed on what was fixed.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Whenever work is done on a Ford vehicle its put into the OASIS system and this information should also be given to you via a workorder. There are several guys on here who work at Ford who may be able to pull your OASIS file, you'll just have to supply them with the VIN.

I would also ask to speak with the Service Director at the stealership, they are usually very responsive and should be able to give you what you need.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I get a w/o everytime, and sign it, stating they are not liable when they test drive it and what not for testing.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Everytime Ive gone to the dealer, Ive got papers back. I know my third brake light leak was warranty work and they supplied a work order. Definately sounds fishy...Id call whoevers superiors you were talking to.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It almost sounds to me like this dealer is charging more to Ford than what they really did. I have never been refused a receipt on what was done. Nor have I ever had to ask. One thing you can try is register at MYFORD with your VIN number and at least some of the dealers put records out on what work has been performed on your vehicle. I know I can see all of the work done on my vehicle since I bought it in Sept 03.
Go here.

https://myford.fordvehicles.com/serv...ord%3D15419550

Listed below is an example of what is out under my vehicle.

BRAKE SHOES PAD ASSEMBLIES - HYDRAULIC - REPLACE (2001 2007 2200) - L
BRAKE SHOES PAD ASSEMBLIES - HYDRAULIC - INSPECT (2001 2007 2200) - L
DISC BRAKE ROTOR - REPLACE (1102 2C026) - L

Last edited by kingfish51; 05-16-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Had to have the throttle body replaced at 1600 miles. Received a detailed list of what they did to it on a work order. I would think they need that to get reimbursed by Ford.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Just like cicoios said post your VIN and I will run an OASIS report for you. And your right the dealership should have you sign the workorder, and in a few days mail the information to you. Thats how we do it at the dealership here anyhow.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:18 PM
you need proof of your complaint and the steps taken to repair so you have grounds for warranty repair after your 3/36 expires (if you've had the same thing replaced/repaired multiple times)

Old 05-16-2005, 04:54 PM
VIN 1FTPW125X4KD19217

I'd already registered at MyFord, and when I checked today, only my last visit was recorded there. Not the first visit when they "hooked it up to the computer" and the speedo "fixed itself", charged up the A/C, and filed down the brake pads so they wouldn't be noisy anymore.

I wonder why they wouldn't have entered the first visit?

Anyway, thanks in advance to whomever runs my VIN, and thanks much to everyone for all the help!

(and have I mentioned how much I LOVE my truck? my kids are so sick of hearing it...)

Old 05-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tagged for later...and you should always get a copy of the RO for warranty work, even though it will show up in Ford's system further on down the road. I'll do some checking later this evening when I get home.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Sorry, I'm new here, what does "tagged for later" and "RO" mean?

Believe me, I knew I should be able to get something in writing, but it was really uncomfortable the way they just stood there after telling the lady in front of me, and next telling me that they didn't have anything for me to sign, and no work order or anything to give me, because it was warranty work.

Anyone have any thoughts on: filing the brake pads to reduce the noise? deterioration of A/C coolness and power after reflash?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warranty work; Dealer says no work order?