2004 - 2008 F-150

(Venting Ahead) Want To Have A Crappy Day?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Venting Ahead) Want To Have A Crappy Day?

It's easy.

If you have a 2004, 2005 F-150, and you have 18" wheels, and you have the Goodyear ATS, and you run over an object that ruins one of those tires by puncturing the sidewall, and you're in the DENVER COLORADO area, YOU TOO can have a crappy day.

You know how??? I'll tell you how.

My cousin is on a two week leave from Iraq. He has pictures and stories to tell, and I'm dying to hear them, so I take the day off work, load up the family, and take off last night to stay in Denver. Because of many reasons, today was the only day I will have to see him before he goes back to Iraq.

I get up this morning to head up to Ft. Collins where he is staying, and one of my tires is flat. I aired it up, went straight to Discount Tire to have it fixed, but the hole is in the shoulder, and they can't get a decent patch on it.

So I tell them that I'll just buy another identical tire from them, and have them swap out the spare since it's never been used, and it'll match the new one.

They tell me they can have it in on Wednesday. 5 days from today. I ask them to check any store in Denver and Ft. Collins. Nothing in stock anywhere. I call Big O. Nothing. I call the GOODYEAR store. NOTHING!!!!! Ford dealers? Get me in now? HAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA

By this point, I'm steamed. I've lost 2 hours visiting with Nate, and not one single tire store in the Denver Metro area from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins has my tire size, or even the next size up (285/65/18)

I bleed blue usually, but I have to wonder why Ford has used such hard to find, DEALER ONLY most of the time consumables???

Headlights and tires. I don't get it. I also don't understand, with as many 04/05s that are out here, why the TIRE stores don't have these on hand? I know some of you hate the Goodyear tires anyway, but they have been great tires for me, and I love em.

I finally found a GREAT Ford dealer in Ft. Collins that could get me in right away and of course had the right tire, but it was 50 bucks over Discount's order in price of course. My cousin went with me, so at least were able to talk about all that cool stuff while they fixed me up.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Sorry about your tire, but glad you got to meet your cousin.

Have to ask, though - what about your spare tire underneath the truck?

Old 05-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Account Deactivated at User's Request
I'm finding all the 2005 stuff I need will be available in 2009!

Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Give your cousin the warmest regards, and my prayers go with him.

On the tire, try to find a spark plug wire for an 81 vette in Durango... Never new they were rare....
Chris

Old 05-07-2005, 07:56 AM
The tire not being available on a newer model is pretty normal.

Most OE tires are made for the vehicle and the ones sold to the tire stores are in limited supply.

$50 more.....supply and demand. They have you over a barrel.

Glad to hear you saved the day

Support our troops and may your cousin stay safe.

Thank him for the job he is doing in Iraq !!!

Old 05-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by DAThomas9
Sorry about your tire, but glad you got to meet your cousin.

Have to ask, though - what about your spare tire underneath the truck?
In my original post...

So I tell them that I'll just buy another identical tire from them, and have them swap out the spare since it's never been used, and it'll match the new one.
What I did is since my truck has just over 15K on it, and the normal 4 tires are now about 3/16" down in tread, I bought the new tire, and had them mount the old "spare" opposite the new one. That way, they are both the same diameter. I took the right rear tire, and had them mount it as my spare now.

So now, basically, I have two new tires on the back, and my spare has 15K on it.

The problem I was having was find a match at a "TIRE" store.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks to your cousin for defending this country.

I don't know about down there, but un the Chicago area the Ford Dealers are actually price matching other tire places. Maybe you can get them to do that for your's.

Trending Topics

Old 05-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I ordered 4 to replace my bfgs when my truck first come in..it took 3 weeks. I ordered the goodyears on my truck but they were on back order then so I told the dealer to go with the bfgs and I would change them myself.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like the perfect excuse to get the wife onboard for new rims and tires.
Trev

Quick Reply: (Venting Ahead) Want To Have A Crappy Day?