2004 - 2008 F-150

Bilsteins are on!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by elf1fiddy
A shock that you can compress by hand and gives a 5000# truck a little lift. These sure must be amazing shocks or just another great placebo mod.
elf1fiddy, i must rest my case at this point. the evidence that installing bilsteins does provide some minimal lift is overwhelming. i am tempted to say more but my education has tought me that a person who knows he is wrong is much better than anything else i can say. thanks for the debate.

1brannon1 = 1
elf1fiddy = 0

Old 04-06-2005, 08:15 AM
OK you all conviced me.....I just ordered a set of bilsteins last night. (eshocks has free shipping right now )The highway hip hop was getting too me. The wifey is not going to be happy though, she doesnt understand why a new truck should need shocks. oh well, I wont tell untill the UPS dude shows up. Thanks for all the great info that was posted!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I've bought several shocks from Don's (eshocks). The FX4 comes with a different shock than the other trim levels, so some literature says. Another post claims no measured change on an FX4 after. It could be that Bilstein matches the perch height to those shocks? Humm... you might take a measurement and let us know if there's any measurable difference.

BTW ... price varied for install ... Minekie said about $100 at the counter and then when the truck was on the lift and shocks about ready to go on... he came out and said; Oh, those are struts and it will be 3.5hrs for the fronts and about $300 total. No thanks, I'd buy a HD spring compressor first and do it myself!

Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by tycreek
I got my Bilsteins put on by the folks that make the AutoSpring levelers. I turns out that the perch is slightly higher on the new struts and cause a slight lift to occur. Has nothing to do with pressure as mentioned earlier in this thread!
A higher perch will definitely raise the height. The Bilstein guys really did their homework! This will be definitely be my next mod.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:55 PM
ok,so he got no lift in the rear and a little bit in the front due to a thicker spring perch . No lift was received from the compression/rebound abilty of the shock or strut which is the way it was being presented.

It probally is best you dont say what you would like.It is better to say nothing and be thought as a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
During my installation, (I got a compressor and did it myself), I put the old and new front units together so that the bottom bolt holes lined up. I put the lower mount bolt through both shocks. The ring that carries the lower spring mount is exactly the same distance from the bottom mounting eye. I have pictures of this, but I do not know how to post them here. I have measured the height of the wheel openings and the front tow hooks several times since the install, and the measurment will vary higher and lower than the original by 1/4" to 3/8", depending mostly on where in the garage the truck is parked. I would say that on average, there is an overall effect of the front being 1/4" higher than before, probalbly due to the greater nitrogen pressure in the Bilsteins. I will try to put some pictures up if I can learn the procedure.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
I measured mine before and after and saw no difference. But I can aslo get it and then back out of the truck and measure about a 1\4" difference from from my fat a*s moving the truck. 1/4" isn't much.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Could somebody post a attackment too the site too get these Thanks

Old 04-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Whoah. Took me a while to understand what you wrote but here it is:

www.eshocks.com

Quick Reply: Bilsteins are on!!