2004 - 2008 F-150

Replaceing rearview mirror...HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Replaceing rearview mirror...HELP Please!

Auto dim mirror kit with temp/compass

Okay like i didnt have enough things going on with my truck!
I saw this on EBay and decided it was worth a shot.
Question is how do i make this work with the factory compass, or do i just disable the factory one and install this one as i like it so much better. I hate having my temp and compass settings hiding behind the steering wheel. I was thinking i could splice the factory compass wires into the new mirrors wires and that should work?
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Trev

Last edited by 1 KRAZY KANUCK; 04-06-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help with the install question, I just want too say that it
looks awesome and would love to see pics of it when you do get it installed....

Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 AM
it would probable be easier to install the new one, since it comes with a wiring harness, than try and splice the stock harness and it probably wouldn't work anyway.

the stock mirror has the brains attached to it and the display in the dash, so the is some communication going on between the two. the new one looks to have the brains and display on the mirror.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Looks like a whole buttload of wiring to have to hide. Other than that, it would be a neat gadget to have...Kevin

Old 04-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Myst if you read this can you email me, as i know you did somthing similiar.
Thanks Trev

Old 04-06-2005, 08:08 PM
A couple of notes here from a mirror changing guy. The Ford unit is likely manufactured by Gentex, this one is not, so it is not likely that you can splice the compass sensor from one to the other. Second, your existing compass sensor hangs from your rear view mirror mount, exactly where the compass sensor for the new mirror is mounted. So, if you want to keep the dash display working you will need to remount the existing sensor somewhere else.

I replaced my mirror with an Autodim/Homelink mirror (keeping the existing compass receiver.) Install notes and photos are documented in the functional mods section on my web site (click signature photo.)

Good luck with this project and keep us informed!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
That's funny, I'm typing a reply while you posted. Must be cosmic energy at work!

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by myst
That's funny, I'm typing a reply while you posted. Must be cosmic energy at work!

Great minds think alike.
Thanks for the info, i wasnt sure if you tried to splice your new one to the old one. I figured worse case scenario if i wanted the factory compass i would have to mount the factory gizmo behind the mirror, in behind the stereo.

I was also hoping maybe someone had a wiring diagram for the factory mirror as it would help if it was just a straight splice. (wishful thinking) Either way the new one is going in and i will see what i can do to keep the factory one working.
Trev

Old 04-07-2005, 01:15 AM
When I was thinking of how to put in the original mirror my wife got me (which also had a compass sensor) the best scenario I could come up with was to glue some kind of mount to the window beside or below the existing mirror mount, and relocate the factory sensor to it. The factory sensor cable has some slack in it, but not too much if I remember corectly. To one side or the other would probably be best as it would be somewhat hidden by the mirror, with driver's side prefered if there is room (since it would be less visable with the mirror angled in on that side.)

The e-bay link disappeared, but it seemed like your mirror package said it comes with a new mount, and with a hacksaw you could get the mount shroud that the sensor clips to from your original mirror. You just might have everything you need.

Another idea: If you put them up like I suggested, you might try sticking them in place temporarily and make sure the sensors do not interfere with each other when in close proximity. I don't know exactly how they work offhand and it might be a bummer to find out they use magnetic fields to continuously calibrate themselves or something.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
mirror on ebay
updated the link to an existing auction, figured it was pointless to send everyone to a finished one.
Yeah it is going to be a interesting process. If i can get them both to work with only the parts from my new mirror i will be happy. If i lose the old compass in my info center no problem, to hard to see it anyways which is why i bought the new mirror.
Plus this way when the wife asks if i know where im going i can always say yes without having to look around my steering wheel.
I will email you the info when i figure it out 1 way or the other.
Thanks again myst
Trev

Quick Reply: Replaceing rearview mirror...HELP Please!