2004 - 2008 F-150

What Octane Rating are you Burning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Octane Rating are you Burning?

What octane rating fuel are you guys burning in your 5.4L? I have noticed that running 89 octane provides a smoother less knock than 87. 87 seemed to make the engine feel sluggish. Opinions? Am I just wasting my money or is there a real benifit?

Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
87 is what I have always run. With the throttle lag induced by the drive by wire system I don't think higher octane gas would make much difference. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:57 PM
If you're getting engine knock on 87, I would be very suspicious of your fuel supplier. I haven't experienced knock in a vehicle since the 1970s, i.e. prior to combustion control electronics.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor (snip)

it is NOT automatically & always true that using higher octane fuel is a complete waste of money on the stock tuning - though to be fair, I'm kinda-sorta "splitting hairs" here, as I'd be the first to say that I wouldn't spend the additional money on additional octane that the motor is not specifically tuned for, as you usually don't get enough additional mpg to *justify* that additional expense in these F-150's.

In reality, that actually depends on how the knock sensor system is set up (calibrated) in each individual vehicle's computer code (PCM revision/calibration), and that varies widely in these trucks. For example, some will allow as much as 8 more degrees of timing as long as the knock sensor does not detect detonation (and here we're talking about one specific form of detonation, "pre-ignition") - but the other catch is the actual *rate* at which that timing comes in. It's usually slow enough (say, only 1 degree every 2 seconds at the same TP & load) that it's just not worth spending the money as you don't get enough additional fuel mileage to offset that cost - UNLESS the truck is actually tuned for it's use. There are some F-150's (a good number) whose knock sensor system calibration cannot add any timing when detonation is not detected, while others can add only another 2 degrees of timing, but can do it pretty quickly - again, this varies widely in these F-150's. You can take 20 trucks of the exact same configuration & model year, and have 13 different knock sensor calibrations.

I generally *do* agree that as long as the engine is not specifically tuned for the higher octane in the borderline knock table, it's not going to be worth spending the additional 20 cents per gallon as compared to what can be had (both in terms of raw power and fuel mileage gains) if the higher octane is actually *tuned* for. These F-150's have more different PCM revisions each model year than virtually any other vehicle made - sometimes *hundreds* of different revisions each model year alone, and they vary widely in certain areas - such as how certain limiters are effected, how the knock sensor system is calibrated, etc. Just FYI........

When dealing with *quality* fuels, the actual BTU content per gallon (or per lb.) of fuel usually does not vary much regardless of octane (in the 87-100 octane range, R+M/2). The actual energy content of gasoline is expressed by the oil company/refiner in terms of the number of BTU's per gallon - say, 110,000 BTU's per gallon, or 98,000 BTU's per gallon, etc. - and that is not "automatically" increased or decreased (all else being equal) based solely on the octane rating.

Another point that comes up from time to time regarding fuels & higher octanes is the burn rate - once ignited, the flame front propagates itself across the combustion chamber at roughly the same speed regardless of octane (again, when we're talking about fuels in the 87-100 octane range R+M/2), generally speaking - but getting it *LIT* - actually INITIATING the burn of the A/F mixture takes more time - both in real time and in degrees of crankshaft rotation, as octane rating goes up. This is *precisely* why it's generally considered close to a waste of money to use more octane than the motor is tuned for, more often than not - and I'd be the first to say not to bother using more octane than the motor is tuned for, I do agree with you on that, certainly. Using significantly more octane than the engine is tuned for will actually *reduce* power and fuel mileage, and can also cause MIL's, etc. just as the owners manuals for most of these vehicles mentions.

With higher octane, it's not just that we can make more power & mpg *if* we add timing - proper tuning dictates that we *must* add more timing to the motor to compensate for now much longer it takes to *initiate* the burn of the higher octane A/F mixture. The spark plug needs to get it's current with the piston further down the bore (BTDC) so that peak cylinder pressure still occurs with the piston the same approximate number of degrees *down* the bore (ATDC) - otherwise the engine doesn't make the power it should, and won't get the fuel economy it should, either - this is why most of these vehicles owners manuals specifically instructs *not* to use premium gas, as they are originally tuned for 87 octane from the factory.

In tuning, the BTU content ("energy") of the fuel makes every bit as much difference, if not more, than just it's octane rating. A low energy 93 octane fuel can be out-performed by a higher-energy 92 octane fuel, for example. Or take methanol-based fuels (far different from gasoline) - now they have a *very* high octane rating, but have only about 50%-70% of the BTU content per gallon of gasoline.

Just some quick general FYI...................

Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 AM
87 as manual states....90 ethanol blend in harsh cold winters......

Old 02-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I use 93 octane---Only because I also use a puperchips tuner on high performance tune.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
I am burning 98

Old 02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
i use what the owners manuel says...87

the manel states that buring higher octane can be damaging to engine parts...dont know what but thats what it says

Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BamaScrew
i use what the owners manuel says...87

the manel states that buring higher octane can be damaging to engine parts...dont know what but thats what it says
I agree, 87 for me.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM
My truck maybe irrelevant, but......why not.

I cant tell a difference either way 87, or 89....truck feels the same.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Interesting post's here. My 05 will rattle quite a bit on 87 but not at all on 89 octane. I have tried all of the local brands, Exxon Shell Diamond Shamrock with the same results. The truck does feel peppier on 89 octane also. I figure what the hell, not that much price difference and the detonation cant be good for it.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
octane

I have over 10,000 miles on my truck seen better fuel mileage and it ( may ) be my imagination but i also feel my truck performs better on high test fuel.

just my two cent$

Old 02-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Thats what I have been experiencing, and really the reason that I created this thread. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I was beginning to wonder.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:28 PM
87 thats what the manual suggests. Anything higher you are just wasting your money.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Right now, I'm burning 87 octane. Once I finish burning the remaining 87 octane that's in the truck, I will fill the truck with 93 octane in order to use custom program 3 on my Xcalibrator for maximum performance.

Quick Reply: What Octane Rating are you Burning?