2004 - 2008 F-150

Magnaflow owners with a FX4 or hitch, please read!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow owners with a FX4 or hitch, please read!!

Ok guys, problem solved.

I initally started this thread because I was having a problem installing my Magnaflow 15834 SI/DO cat-back. I thought I was an idiot because I couldn't get my kit installed.

Well, I called Magnaflow today and worked out the problem with them. Jim from Magnaflow was very helpful and sent me some pic's they took when the developed the prototype for the kit. However, I assume they made the mistake of not testing the system out on all the different versions of the truck...

Basically, there is a huge bracket that reinforces the hitch the the frame rail. I don't know if this is common on all the F-150's, but my FX4 had the bracket and some of the other install pic's I've seen didn't. Magnaflow's installation instructions tell us to utilize a "pre-drilled" hole in the frame, but what they didn't realize is that Ford uses the hole for an attachment location for that hitch bracket. Thus enter the problem of trying find a hole that didn't exist!!!

So, how did I work around it? Well, Magnaflow offered a few different proposals but they didn't work. The only way I found to mount the system was to drill into the frame-rail near the attachment location, or to tack weld it to the frame. I chose to weld it because I didn't want to mess with the rigidity of the frame by popping holes in it. I ran up to my local Midias, told them the problem and within 15 minutes they welded the hanger bracket onto my frame. Major props to them because they didn't charge me anything!!! Thanks Midias!!!

I've attached some pics of the truck before and after the hanger was welded. You can see the hitch bracket in the first pic. The bolt on the left is where the hanger was supposed to be installed.

Before

After

I was going to snap a few more pic's but the batteries in the camera went out.

I did have to pull some lines away from the tail pipes. I used some zip ties to pull them up and out of the way ( you can see the zip ties on the left side of the 2nd pic). I also needed to give the hangers on the tail pipes a whack or 2 with the rubber mallot because the hangers were a little out of place. However, the system is done and looks and sounds great.

I'll get some more pics tomorrow.

Any questions, just ask. All I know is that it's FINALLY done

Last edited by JRodSVT; 02-14-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:53 PM
that really makes me lose faith in the company. You would have thought that bye now they would have known about the probleme and have a solution to it. Just shows that they test a product just enough to get it out the door....disapointing....anyway, hope everything works out ok for you....

Old 02-14-2005, 05:56 PM
You NEED to get some spray paint on that weld if you havent already.. maybe some heat treaded paint or somthing.

I would take a wire brush and clean it first then paint...

Old 02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I've already nailed it with some flat black Rustolem (sp?)

The problem I have is that it's only 35deg in MI and the paint isn't going to dry all that well. But yeah, it's taken care of.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanx Jrod. I didn't know exactly what problem everyone was having. You shed some light on it. Basically,if you have the factory tow package, this will be a problem. I think I'm going to grind the plate that the hanger rod is welded to and try welding it to the back side of the reciever hitch brace. (Grind it to fit as far foward as it can)...Kevin

Old 02-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanx a million, Jrod. Your post eases a lot of apprehension for me. I delayed the 15834 install on my XLT (without hitch) until somebody came up with an answer. No wonder some folks were having problems...looking at the photos, I wonder if they were attempting to utilize the hole on the far left of the frame rail as some reported modifying the hangers and location.

All's well that ends well!

Old 02-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Curmugeon- You should have no problem installing your kit. You'll install those money clip's into the holes used for the hitch (the bolt just to the right of the hanger I had welded on the frame) and bolt the system up.

Once I figured out what the problem was, then picked a course of action, I had the system installed in a hour.

BTW, I installed the muffler horizontally like the directions show

Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 PM
You da man, Jrod...thanks again.

Curmudgeon

Old 02-15-2005, 01:19 AM
All these problems I hear about Magnaflow installations....

I plan on buying a cat-back in a few weeks but now I just don't know....

Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 AM
I have both FX4 and the hitch, and I was able to install my Magnaflow without a problem. The hangers are bolted to holes on the inside of the frame, the actual hanger rod hits the frame a little due to the direction it is bolted, but everything lines up perfect besides that. Got it installed in a little over an hour, first shot. And this was with putting the 15834 on an '05 style exhaust, which my late '04 had. My hangers are in about the same place as the ones posted, just utilizing a hole on the inside of the frame. If I could take pics I would, maybe next time I have it up on the lift.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by roboots21
I have both FX4 and the hitch, and I was able to install my Magnaflow without a problem. The hangers are bolted to holes on the inside of the frame, the actual hanger rod hits the frame a little due to the direction it is bolted, but everything lines up perfect besides that. Got it installed in a little over an hour, first shot. And this was with putting the 15834 on an '05 style exhaust, which my late '04 had. My hangers are in about the same place as the ones posted, just utilizing a hole on the inside of the frame. If I could take pics I would, maybe next time I have it up on the lift.
Thats the same way Meineke instralled mine!

Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 PM
A quick review of the photo in Magnaflow's install. instructions (Figure 1), although of poor resolution, confirms that the hangers are mounted to the INSIDE of the frame according to MF. I guess I'll go that route.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:46 PM
After talking to their R&D dept and recieving prototype photos from MF, the hangers are designed to be mounted on the outside of the frame (where the hitch bolt goes). This is fact.

I couldn't get the hangers to work on the inboard edge of the frame. Perhaps I'm a little more **** about how things go together (or it's possible they might have changed the hanger plate size a bit), but from what I recall, trying to mount the hanger inside the frame didn't work.

No matter how everyone gets their systems installed, MF sort of dropped the ball on the design. But whatever works to get the unit installed... I guess you gotta just get under the truck and try.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:55 PM
I feel that Magnaflow did a great job on the exhaust design. I found everything to fit correctly, except that I had to cut my exhaust, but this was an '05 fitment issue. Anyway, the only hard part was to figure out how to get the hangers to fit, and once that was done, it all went perfectly. It doesn't matter what side the hangers go on the frame, they are still going to work either way. I love this exhaust, and would't trade it for any other!

Old 02-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I removed my spare tire before the muffler install because I have no plans of using one. I also removed the brackets for my factory hitch because I had previously installed a ranch hand rear bumper which had no use for those brackets.
It does appear that magnaflow really dropped the ball on this one. They need to make sure the exhaust will fit all models or put an exemption in their catalog or website.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow owners with a FX4 or hitch, please read!!