2004 - 2008 F-150

Magnaflow 15834 install tips and techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Magnaflow 15834 install tips and techniques?

So I've been freezing my *** off outside for the last 3 hrs trying to figure out how the heck to get this system onto my truck. If it wasn't 5:20 on a Saturday, I would have swollowed my pride and went to a muffler shop to get this installed.

The instructions are HORRIBLE. I've installed Flowmaster cat-backs on a couple trucks before and NEVER had any issues. The only thing the instructions are good for is knowing what pipes go where. It doesn't give any indication as to where the hangers go other than some crappy picture that doesn't explain squat.

Removal of the stock system is easy: just loosen up the one clamp, squirt some silicone spray on the 3 rubber hangers and pull from the tailpipe. I sat and used the tire as leverage to pull. Once loose, you can snake the stock system out going forward in vehicle. Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to remove the stocker. BTW, the nut on the clamp is 15mm

Now, after blowing 3 hrs of my Saturday afternoon on this damn system, I STILL don't have it installed. I got all the piping up and loosely clamped together and the rear hangers and tail pipe didn't come close to linging up. After wanting to beat the crap out of something, I decided it was time to quit for the day and have a beer or two.

I started this thread in hopes that some of you guys that have installed the system can give some pointers to those of us that haven't (or tried). Any pict's would be EXTREMELY helpful. I want to take another stab at this tomorrow before I suck it up and take it into a shop to be installed. I'd much rather get the satisfaction knowing that I installed it, but it's getting frustrating.

So... lets have them

Thanks guys!!

Old 02-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I removed the front hanger and installed it on the front pipe with the help of some lubricant. Then I put the left tube on the hanger and muffler. Then the right tube. Then the end pipes and installed the hangers onto the tubes first then screwed them on to the frame. I made sure everything was straight and installed the tips. Then I tightened everything from rear to front making sure everything lined up.
(note: some people have said my muffler is installed wrong.)

Last edited by easterisland; 02-12-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I got all the piping up and loosely clamped together and the rear hangers and tail pipe didn't come close to linging up.
Its funny that you brought this up. I've been searching for help on this very same issue since I came home from the Midas shop this afternoon. I started to install the 15834 myself this morning and after looking at what kind of a struggle my old bod would have in order to yank the old muffler and tailpipe off I decided to give the Midas shop a call.

The manager of the shop worked on my truck himself. We could not figure out how to line up the rear hangers supplied in the kit. We located existing holes in the frame that we could use.

The flat side of the hanger should fit flush against the frame, right? Yet the only way we could get the right side hanger to be in any kind of position to line up with the tailpipe's welded hanger was to reverse the bracket with the flat side out. I'm confused and so was he. Its on (and sounds sweet!) but I know I'll be changing it once I figure this out.

We dinked around with it too long at Midas and I told him I'd figure it out and maybe come back next week.... since I was already paying him too much to get it installed. I figured he'd just jack up the final charges the longer we stared at it. I'll go back to have him tack weld the tips once I'm OK with the way these hangers should work. there's got to be a simple answer. I agree that the installation instructions were poor. The FIG 1 pic of the hanger installation was useless.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Exactly, it almost seems like Magnaflow screwed up the hanger brackets by welding the hanger portion on the wrong way. Either that, or the brackets aren't long enough to be put on correctly.

At least I'm not the only one that seems to have an issue with this. Maybe I'll try blowing in a call to Magnaflow to see exactly what is going on.

All I know is that I can't drive anywhere because I have no muffler on the truck. I figured this would be a bolt up system

HWKI150 how did you get the exhaust installed???

Last edited by JRodSVT; 02-12-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
What's the mfg date of your truck...

I am sure you are already aware, but the 15834 won't work on trucks built after 5/31/2004. Disregard if you have verified this already.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:35 AM
My truck's manufacture date is 05/04.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my my system installed yesterday at Meineke and we had the same problem it took him over an hour to figure it out. But, he got it and it looks and sound great. He said to bring it back next weekend to have it retightened because he is sure that something might twist from all the lubrication that cames with the pipes.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:28 AM
yeah heck I had the same problem with that POS hanger metal thing doesnt look right...SO i used file machine to make it fit and it works...i had to reloacted hanger about 2" toward front from exit holes ( me drilled )

Thats why i posted a thread about concerned with spare tire and brakeline/breath tube vent.

I set my muffler horizon, not vertical, what about you guys?

Maybe its their mistake and they ll make new one for us?? WHy dont one of us give them a call during business day week and then post it in here to see what they said ??

YOMAN!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:43 PM
HWKI150 how did you get the exhaust installed???
The way I see it my hanger brackets are on backwards. We didn't file anything off - we just made it work.

it took him over an hour to figure it out. But, he got it
MooseRLP, what did the Meineke guy figure out?

Also, we set the muffler horizontally as shown on the installation illustration.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:06 PM
I recently received my Magnaflow 15834 ($383.88 delivered) and have been following the installation issue intently so as to avoid any install problems myself.

Just one contribution to offer: I copied a pic of easterisland's 15834 (Magnaflow 15834 pictures, threadid 184057 on 1/31/05) and compared it to my parts aligned in exactly the same position as his on the garage floor. With one very minor exception, every pipe component and "L" hanger were identical. I know that 'two' (his and mine) doesn't make a consensus, but I wanted to confirm that Magnaflow wasn't erring/deviating in welding up the "L" hanger positions or angles.

However, I could swear that my 18 inch tips are longer than those pictured in easterisland's photos...maybe an illusion.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:31 PM
If you click the first picture I posted it will take you a post I made a few weeks ago concerning the install with some more pictures.
I like the flush look of the tips so I just clamped the tips further in.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm going to call Magnaflow tomorrow. If this many people are running into issues installing these kits, then there is something wrong and they need to fix it.

It would probably help the cause if some other guys called to mention they are having issues.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Theres one thing that got me think that its possibly how we set up the muffler...Horizon vs vertical..

What i noticed that if muffler is set postion as vertical then the exhuast tips will be narrow. noticed the pix in Easterisland exhuast tips and compare to other??

if muffler is set postion as a horizon then the exhuast tips will be out wide...

Maybe its suppose be set up muffler in veritcal then the hanger will fit ????

I dont know.. just a thought...

YOMAN!

Old 02-13-2005, 04:55 PM
easterisland doesn't have a spare where it belongs either...Kevin

Old 02-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He found another place to hang it so it wouldnt rattle took him about 2 hors to complete it. It sounds GREAT!!!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 15834 install tips and techniques?