2004 - 2008 F-150

Reprogrammed my PCM today

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Reprogrammed my PCM today

It's another one of those "I'm bored, nothing else to do" days, so with WDS in hand, I figured I'd reprogram my own PCM just to see if I get any benefits. Now, I don't have any specific complaints like check engine or fail safe mode lights, but I do think the drive by wire response leaves a lot to be desired. When I tried to get another Ford dealer in town to reprogram it for me last time I was leaving for Texas, their response was, "Oh, it's got an electronic throttle body now, that's normal." Yeah, okay.

My latest calibration part number (the number that's supposed to be on the authorized modification label) is 4U7A-12A650-GPA. We'll see how it turns out when I get outta here for today in another hour or so.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did u come by a wds?

Mac.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:26 PM

where did u come by a wds?
At work.

Initial impressions: I can't really tell any difference. Throttle response seems a little better, but it's still nothing compared to my '97 with the old school throttle cable. This calibration is supposed to fix a bunch of different little concerns, quite a few with the ETC and P21xx DTCs, flashing TCIL lights with P0703/0704 DTCs, possible charge warning indicator light with a P0606 DTC and a few others.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey Quintin! I had mine supposedly reprogramed too, and mine also seemed a little better. The interesting thing though, is my '03 E350 van w/ 5.4l has NO delay, and dealer told me that is FBW also. BTW, thanks for the TSB on the hood "flapping". I did mine last week, and got up to 85mph and didn't see any movement yet (the dealer simply told me it was due to bugshield and of course did absolutly nothing.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Quintin
At work.

Initial impressions: I can't really tell any difference. Throttle response seems a little better, but it's still nothing compared to my '97 with the old school throttle cable. This calibration is supposed to fix a bunch of different little concerns, quite a few with the ETC and P21xx DTCs, flashing TCIL lights with P0703/0704 DTCs, possible charge warning indicator light with a P0606 DTC and a few others.
just u said u asked another dealer to do it for you so it didn't make sense if you had access why would ask a dealer to do it.

Jimmy the 03 has a throttle cable not throttle by wire

Mac.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:18 PM
bug deflector

Originally posted by jimmy k
Hey Quintin! I had mine supposedly reprogramed too, and mine also seemed a little better. The interesting thing though, is my '03 E350 van w/ 5.4l has NO delay, and dealer told me that is FBW also. BTW, thanks for the TSB on the hood "flapping". I did mine last week, and got up to 85mph and didn't see any movement yet (the dealer simply told me it was due to bugshield and of course did absolutly nothing.
my 04 van has the cable,i've had mine well over 100 and it has a bug deflector and no hood flapping- they are feeding you a line of - BS!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:19 PM

just u said u asked another dealer to do it for you so it didn't make sense if you had access why would ask a dealer to do it.
Yeah, because at the time I was on my way out of town and didn't have the time to check myself; and besides, I'm no different than any other customer, just 'cause I work for a dealership too.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2005, 10:33 PM
I thought the van had a cable, but the service manager"corrected me" when I compared the responses of the same size engines in two different vehicles. openclasspro#11, the hood flapping referes to the F150, not the van,sorry for the confusion,but thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Reprogrammed my PCM today