2004 - 2008 F-150

'04-'05 Tire Chains Headache

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '04-'05 Tire Chains Headache

Well, I've got a 4x4, but here in northern CA chains are REQUIRED in some cases. I've had to put them on cars several times. I'm planning on going to Tahoe this weekend (which has plenty of snow).

California has three ratings for chain use.

R1 Chains are required, snow tires are allowed

R2 Chains are required on all vehicles except 4 wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels

R3 Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions

AND 4x4s MUST CARRY chains in chain control areas (all the above)

Ok, I see that these trucks require "S" type chains because of inner wheel clearance issues. No problem... just hit Tirechains.com and I'm set right? Wrong!

None of the S chains are made for 255 70 R17 tires. I've got the stock General tires, and I doubt they'd pass muster as "snow tires"...even tho they say "M+S", and they've got lots of tread.

Even if I planked down the $$ for four new Revos (and they'd fit the 17'' chrome wheel), I'm still required to CARRY chains where I'm going. As I sit now, when they start stopping traffic to chain up (and they do), I'm worried that I'm gonna hear "those aren't snow tires, put on chains". At that point I'm scrod. There is no passing those check points....back you go (if you can turn around), or there you sit. Sometimes chain installers are on hand to sell you generic chains, but there you go with the risk of tearing something up with funky chains.

It's possible that no chains be required on ONE of the passes....but I might not have the same luck coming back.

Any ideas, anyone?? Guess I can call Tirechains.com, and see what they say.

Sorry about the long post.

Arrrgh!

Old 01-24-2005, 03:37 PM
I thought these trucks were not allowed to use chains and that they were suppose to only use the cable style traction devices. Are the cables the same as the "S" type. I would think that the cables would be less of a problem for clearence.

Brian

Old 01-24-2005, 03:51 PM
I grew up around Modesto and I have been up to Tahoe quite a bit. I have never had them check that I was carring chains. It is rare that they ever issue an R3 warning anyway and if they did, you should turn around and go home because that is whiteout conditions and ice. Although the Generals are not as aggresive as Revos, they do pretty good in the snow. I have ran around up there with BFG mudders, BFG AT's and stock tires and it was never a problem on any of them and I never carried chains. The key is to slow down.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Scooterjohn, BTW,after seeing where you live, if it is snowing it is better to go up 50 then 88. They keep 50 in a lot better condition and it is actually faster since 88 is 2 lane throught the Sierras.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Cincy F150
I grew up around Modesto and I have been up to Tahoe quite a bit. I have never had them check that I was carring chains. It is rare that they ever issue an R3 warning anyway and if they did, you should turn around and go home because that is whiteout conditions and ice. Although the Generals are not as aggresive as Revos, they do pretty good in the snow. I have ran around up there with BFG mudders, BFG AT's and stock tires and it was never a problem on any of them and I never carried chains. The key is to slow down.

I've taken the truck to bear valley and driven it in the snow already....it did just fine. My concern is some **** CHP officer that rejects my tires as not "snow tires". I've got reservations that are non-refundable for this weekend up in Tahoe.

Last winter I was coming back from Oregon on 5, and they stopped everyone to chain up past Medford. Didn't matter, some idiot got stuck, stopped traffic and the snow really started coming down. 14 hours I spent on the mountain till a tow truck was finally able to pull me out the next day. This was in a Taurus, so I had to keep going out to keep from getting buried during the night. My g/f really enjoyed that part of the trip. lol

Last edited by scooterjohn; 01-24-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by wamsleyb
I thought these trucks were not allowed to use chains and that they were suppose to only use the cable style traction devices. Are the cables the same as the "S" type. I would think that the cables would be less of a problem for clearence.

Brian

The "S" chains are 3.8 mm and are actually slimmer than some cables. Not all cables are recommended.

Last edited by scooterjohn; 01-24-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
If your in northern California go find a Les Schwab tire dealer, they will have the size you need and will trial fit them for free to make sure they fit. Also have the type S in stock. If you dont use them you can take them back for full refund. Great place.

Trending Topics

Old 01-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks, I'd done a search and found the same advice given earlier. I went down to Escalon Tuesday and picked up a set.

If they make me chain up, I understand the process is to put it in 4x4 and put the chains on the front wheels.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:03 AM
I live in Tahoe (33 years) and yes they can make you chain up a 4x4 with M&S rated tires. It happened last winter at Spooner Summit with people wanting to go up to Incline Village on HWY 28. Nevada Hwy Patrol told people EVERYONE chains up or ya don't go. Hasn't happened on the CA side in recent memory though they just close the road. If things are that bad do yourself a favor and stay home, the time spent and danger in getting here really isn't worth it. I seen people blow 6 hours getting here from Placerville and another 8 to get out and it's only 60 miles! Wait fer a sunny weekend, it's prettier also! I did several seasons with the El Dorado Coutny DOT Snow Removal Crew so I lived in it, blizzards and all cuz it was my job to make the roads safe (there are some stories there also. As far as where to put the chains ask 4 people and you'll get 6 opinions! Only time I put chains on the front end (gives you a bad vibration) was winter of 82-83, I had chains on all four wheels on my 4x4. It was either that or you didn't get out of your driveway. As one poster stated the trick is to slow down, longer spacing between cars and drop a gear or two on the down grades, stay off the brakes.

Quick Reply: '04-'05 Tire Chains Headache