2004 - 2008 F-150

04 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 front suspension

Does any manufacturer make a leveling kit that does not merely extend my bone stock suspension (such as a daystar or ez lift)? I guess i mean something more complete, like the stuff that goes into a 4 or 6 inch lift, but designed for front only, and approxamatley 2-2 1/2 inches of lift.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Skyjacker makes a 3" lift kit. It uses longer coil over shocks in the front to accomplish this. They are high performance aluminum bodied shocks. This is what I'm going with pretty soon. There is also an optional "add a leaf" for the rear, but I've heard it really isn't needed.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Don't those "scoils" just do the same basic thing as the spacers? I think the proper way to do it would include new spindles...

Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 PM
yeah, thats what i mean. I'm just wondering if there is a kit manufactured that has some sort of new spindle ***'y and a lower control arm relocation device or whatever.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:24 PM
It's not cost effective for someone to make it. A daystar/autospring do the job so well and are so darn cheap, why over-engineer a solution that nobody (you excluded) will buy? Level kits rule, and if you need more, then Rancho, Pro-comp and others have products to meet your needs.

I doubt you'll ever find such a product.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:39 AM
The thing is you dont need a new spindle for only 2-3 inches. The steering geometry can be preserved with spacers alone. D is right, there is no market for it. Even the 6" lifts use spacers (some of them) so they still are doing what the daystar is.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Actually I know of two very reputable race shops making a 2.5" C/O replacement that will make the truck much more off-roadable. Camburg is one and Donahoe is the other. Fabtech is also releasing it's 2.5" Dirt Logic C/O soon. All of these will give about 2.5"-3" of lift. Camburg will also be offering a different upper arm that will not bind on the spring at full droop.

-Tim

Old 12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
camburg

Old 12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Baja4x4
Actually I know of two very reputable race shops making a 2.5" C/O replacement that will make the truck much more off-roadable. Camburg is one and Donahoe is the other. Fabtech is also releasing it's 2.5" Dirt Logic C/O soon. All of these will give about 2.5"-3" of lift. Camburg will also be offering a different upper arm that will not bind on the spring at full droop.
And are the going to cost $150?! Not bloodly likely.. and a few select people will actually use the capability... they will not be good sellers and ulitmately dropped, or at least extremely rare.
Much more off-roadable?! I call BS! Much more off-roadable is 4-6" of lift, 35s, higher gearing and underbody protection. Not a still over-done kit that moves some suspension geometry a degree or two...

Custom race shops will do anything you desire, so long as you have the $$ to pay for your desires. Like I said, there isn't a mass-market for it.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
i know the donahoe racing adj. c/o are going to be about $1000. they do have a spacer similar to autospring, the only difference being is that it does not bolt to the top plate it replaces the top plate with a new one, i think that is about $250.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Why would you spend $1000 on a coilover that isnt providing you more than 3" total and only in the front? A full blown suspension kit would be around $1300-$1500 and the capability would be far more superior.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by dzervit
And are the going to cost $150?! Not bloodly likely.. and a few select people will actually use the capability... they will not be good sellers and ulitmately dropped, or at least extremely rare.
Much more off-roadable?! I call BS! Much more off-roadable is 4-6" of lift, 35s, higher gearing and underbody protection. Not a still over-done kit that moves some suspension geometry a degree or two...

Custom race shops will do anything you desire, so long as you have the $$ to pay for your desires. Like I said, there isn't a mass-market for it.
The 04 F150 is not much different then both the Tacoma and the Tundra and they have a huge following in the off-road market when it comes to coil overs. It really depends on what you want out of your truck. A 150.00 spacer works fine on the street will but never replace a 2.5" raceshock and upgraded spring when it comes to performance...higher speed off-road performance in particular.
And I disagree with you when you say a 4-6" lift is the way to go to make a truck more off-roadable. Dropdown brackets and a high center of gravity is not exactly ideal when off-roading at speed. If your going to go rockcrawling then the aftermarket coil over may not be for you. If your going trail riding then it might be a toss up.
It completely depends on what you want to do with your truck.

-Tim

Last edited by Baja4x4; 12-10-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I think out definitions of "off-roading" are a direct result of where we live...

While I think it's insane do get a 2.5" lift with slightly longer coilovers, I guess if I was surrounded by desert and would 'off-road' at 40-60mph I may reconsider. 'Round these parts that would just be stupid to do, a nice lift and the other things I mentioned would kick the snot out of the camburg setup... again, a direct result of the 4-wheelin' states we live in.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I think the majority of guys here mean trails, mud and some obstacles when talking about 4 wheeling. Very few are for Baja and Rock Crawling, as these trucks weigh too much, and have a wheelbase far too long.
Dzervit is right, a 4-6" lift is going to really help you in the offroad department. I have done both with my truck and the better ground clearance makes the lift worth every penny. The higher center of gravity is a joke, who is going to race their truck offroad ,over dunes or rock crawl with insane camber angles.
A new coilover is going to provide you better performance and articulation but give you little to no clearance gains (which this truck really lacks).
A coil over for $1000 is insane and makes so sense what so ever. If you want a level truck, buy a leveling kit. If you want more performance and offroad ability, get a suspension lift.

Quick Reply: 04 front suspension