2004 - 2008 F-150

Shifting problem w/ 1714 Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting problem w/ 1714 Tuner

Has anyone else had any shifting problems after installing their 1714 tune?

My biggest complaint happens when I'm cruising along and floor it to WOT (wide open throttle). It downshifts EXCESSIVELY hard. It feels like the truck revving up way too high and then shifting into gear... almost like it would if you were to rev it up to about 4500 RPM in neutral and then drop it into drive (neutral drop).

Another problem I've noticed happens when I take off from a dead stop kinda quick and then let off to cruise around the 45MPH mark. Seems like if I let off the gas just before it shifts then it doesn't really know what gear to go in. Like it's not sure if it should upshift or just stay in the current gear. It kinda feels like the trans is binding between gears and the momentum of the vehicle forces it into the next gear.

Either way both problems feel like they're causing unnecessary wear and tear on the trans and all of the drive line.

I've played with the shift pressures and speeds with no luck. If I turn down the shift PSI the problem is still there, but not as bad, but then I loose all the normal shift firmness that I want from the tuner.

Has anyone experienced this problem and/or solved it?

Old 11-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Ya it happens to me too. It's not that big a deal for me though because i don't drive my truck hard like that all the time,

Old 11-28-2004, 02:34 PM
That's what its sposed to do.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Post it in COmputer chip forums and Mike troyer might be able help you out..

YOMAN!

Old 11-28-2004, 04:11 PM
its supposed to do all of that! hard shifts come with the package!

Old 11-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey baja150,

I also get those bone jarring downshifts at times and even harsher shifts at low speeds on lift throttle. I have shifted so hard on occasion that I looked back to see if someone had whacked me from behind. Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast. If you want firmer shifting, you have to put up with some hard shifts when you don't want them. Beats the old slushbox!

Old 11-28-2004, 11:48 PM
YOMAN & Clem - Thanks for the help. I'll try the computer chip forum.

SVTErik & FATHERFORD - No that's not what it's supposed to do. The tuner is supposed to firm up the shifts by controlling transmission line pressure. It is not supposed to firm up the shifts by allowing the engine to rev while the transmission is between gears. And another thing is that it doesn't do it all the time... sometimes it shifts firm like it should and sometimes I think I'm going to look out the back window and see my driveshaft bent up like a pretzel!

I don't know if either of you have the tuner or if you do are experiencing the same problem I am. Thank you for your input, but I can tell you that this is not normal. What I was trying to find out is if I am the only one with this problem or if there are others.

Just FYI on my technical background.
Auto and manual repair licenses: MI State and ASE
Internship: 9 months Jasper
Test lab experience: 1.5 years Ford Livonia Transmission

Trust me... what MY truck is doing is not "normal".

Last edited by baja150; 11-28-2004 at 11:52 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Why don't you do the obvious, put it back to stock and see if it is your tranny. You can also adjust your shift pressures and shift points also....Sounds like it is your tranny.

I also have the tuner and have had no problems.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to the dealer for service if you think something is wrong with the transmission. It’s obviously still under warranty, let them check it out.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by jpdadeo
Take it to the dealer for service if you think something is wrong with the transmission. It’s obviously still under warranty, let them check it out.

not with a chip in it....

Old 11-29-2004, 10:20 AM
That is the nature of the beast. Its electronical controlled and the computer is going "uhhh". I can even recreate what you are talking about on an old non electronic vehicle. It did it without the tuner you just didnt notice it cause of the sloppyness, but now you do with the increased performance and shift pressures.

It's common, dont worry about it.

Quick Reply: Shifting problem w/ 1714 Tuner