2004 - 2008 F-150

Cold Air Intake?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake?!

Ok, so which one do you guys suggest. Is Air Force One(approx. 20hp gains troyer site says) the choice of most?? Noticed Troyer sells it for 259.95 (when it comes out obviously) but what about other brands??

I used to have an S10 , bear with me here..... i used to have one and i put a volant in that truck. Worked out great, helped out on the throttle response too. And i noticed volant kit for f150 has a duct that goes down under the truck as well as up top for more air intake?!

So what do you guys think? Volant, AirForceOne, AirRaid, etc......

Let me hear what you got to say before i fork out some cash and buy one.

Mike

Old 09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey shadow, nice truck. I love the DSG.

I have the K&N "AirCharger" which is the same as the FIPK. I like it a lot. I got the tuner right after I installed my FIPK so it is hard to tell whether it helped out more with the hp's or the tuner. I think the combination of the exhaust, tuner and FIPK gave me what I was looking for.

Anyway, the K&N was very easy to install,about a hour and had great directions. The biggest thing I had to get used to was the increase in noise. There are sometimes when I get on it that I can't even hear my exhaust. I think some owners refer to this as the "whistle". Mine sounds more like a 300lb lineman gasping for air. I am getting used to the noise. It definitely turns heads.

Hope this helps, don't count out the K&N's

Old 09-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Re: Cold Air Intake?!

Originally posted by ShadowedFX4
Ok, so which one do you guys suggest. Is Air Force One(approx. 20hp gains troyer site says) the choice of most?? Noticed Troyer sells it for 259.95 (when it comes out obviously) but what about other brands??

I used to have an S10 , bear with me here..... i used to have one and i put a volant in that truck. Worked out great, helped out on the throttle response too. And i noticed volant kit for f150 has a duct that goes down under the truck as well as up top for more air intake?!

Mike
I went with AIRAID, easy to install and definitly a noticable change in performance. Mileage is a bit better as well.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Ordered my tuner today from Troyer, Spoke with Anita about the Airforce1 and the AirRaid. She said that the test unit is in and they are starting testing on it. She seemed to indicate they expected it to out preform the AirRaid, but tests will show. Asked when they would have more info/availability, ahe said about a month. I think I'll wait a month or two and see what they have to say about the Airforce1 testing results before I commit one way or the other.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Re: Cold Air Intake?!

Originally posted by ShadowedFX4
Ok, so which one do you guys suggest.

Check this post out...

Air Intake

Old 09-21-2004, 11:10 AM
thanks for all the responses guys! Zoltan, i'm loving the DSG, glad i didn't go with black again. your truck looks sweet in that pic.

Sounds like a good idea BlackFX4x4, i think i'll wait for the results too.... we're not talking about just a few dollars here.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Zoltan
Mine sounds more like a 300lb lineman gasping for air. I am getting used to the noise. It definitely turns heads.

Hope this helps, don't count out the K&N's
I could not wait anymore .... I purchased the K&N and installed last saturday, I have the same comments as Zoltan. I love the system and now I am just getting used to the grouling sound at WOT .... sounds like I have a beast sucking air ....

Very easy to install. Pictures soon.

chinin

Old 09-21-2004, 07:29 PM
K and N FIPK

What gains are they getting from the Kand N FIPK in #'s,hp and torque?Troyers #'s for the airforce one 4.6 fipk was 14 hp, that can't be at the wheels??

Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Re: K and N FIPK

Originally posted by jcde302
What gains are they getting from the Kand N FIPK in #'s,hp and torque?Troyers #'s for the airforce one 4.6 fipk was 14 hp, that can't be at the wheels??
If I could find a place down here that does dyno's I would tell you. No luck so far.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 PM
K&N has nothing on there website about the gains???

Old 09-21-2004, 11:05 PM
i personaly am using a air raid intake and put it on about a month after i got my truck its a 4.2 so i did knotice it had a lot more responce when getting into it plus it make this really awsome wossh sound when letting off i also looked at the k&n air intakes and will they dont look bad but i mean why spend more money for something that just a name my air raid was only $187 k&n was going to be around $240 and the only diffrence is the filters both are cleanable so why pay more if you dont have to

Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Troyer, the Airaid is the only aftermarket intake that is safe for the 3-valve 04’s
Airaid Intake Kit for 2004 F-150 w/3-valve 5.4 V-8

Old 09-22-2004, 12:25 AM
If this is so, why would K&N's be working for people? Just curious, I want to get the right one.

I am really leaning towards the Air Raid, bassed on what you all have said, as well as how it looks. Its a pretty sweet set up.

Just wondering, could I swap to a K&N filter instead of airraids???

~Colby

Old 09-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Bullitt4711
If this is so, why would K&N's be working for people? Just curious, I want to get the right one.

I am really leaning towards the Air Raid, bassed on what you all have said, as well as how it looks. Its a pretty sweet set up.

Just wondering, could I swap to a K&N filter instead of airraids???

~Colby
i would think so all my air raid filter does is clamp on so i reallly dont see why u could not if you wanted to

Old 09-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks! I will be ordering it post haste!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake?!