2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab is looking nice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab is looking nice!

I'm in the market for a truck and have been waiting on Ford to come out with a fix for its vibration problems. My neighbor thought he had no issues with his 2004 Lariat and then he hit 14K miles and started experiencing the vibration problems. He's been in 4 times already and he's still having problems.

I used to have a Tundra access cab but dumped it for brake problems so I know there are no gurantees. I also wanted 4 real doors. So, I got a Toyota Tacoma double cab...well, it's too small for me and the family.

I just read that the new 2005 Tundra will have 282 hp with 328 lbs of torque AND a new 5 speed transmission! They're also very, very light so I bet it will give the hemi and Titan a run for their money.

They're built in Indiana too.

Please, no flames I'm just trying to share some information. I think I'll compare the F-150 and the 2005 Tundra and may the best one win.

Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Anything built in the Hoosier state is OK by me!

Go PURDUE!

Old 07-24-2004, 11:00 PM
my two choices were the tundra limited and f150 lariat ... I picked the F150 becasuse I had the feeling I was getting more for my money (options) and I had the feeling that I was getting a truck with the latest technology out available .... I think the Tundra is going to be redesign soon to catch up with the F150 and Titan.

Also, the Tundra felt like a camry inside .. more of a car ride .. if you like that ...

chinin

Old 07-25-2004, 03:04 AM
Re: 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab is looking nice!

I just read that the new 2005 Tundra will have 282 hp with 328 lbs of torque AND a new 5 speed transmission! They're also very, very light so I bet it will give the hemi and Titan a run for their money.

They're built in Indiana too.

Please, no flames I'm just trying to share some information. I think I'll compare the F-150 and the 2005 Tundra and may the best one win. [/B][/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Ok but who makes the call on which one wins ???

Old 07-25-2004, 08:27 PM
The vibration problem is limited, so dont let that stray you away from the F150, which I must say is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Im not a Toyota guy so I dont know a whole lot about it. I can tell you this,, nothing is perfect and if you buy the Toyota, you might just as well have problems with that truck as well. One never knows until its theres and they drive it for a while. Good luck with whatever you get, But I would go F O R D !!!

Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don’t be afraid to by a Tundra, they don’t look bad. I’ve owned several different vehicals, foreign and domestic; they all have their up sides.

I got my eye on one of these in 2006 though

I want

Old 07-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Made in Hoosier Country... I suppose that's okay but, that certainly brings reservations to this Kentuckian! LOL!

At least the frame is being made in Owensboro, KY (by one of my clients. )

RP

Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 AM
no doubt get which suits you best - but good lord please do NOT get a Tundra with a stepside bed. I saw 2 last week and have not gotten over it yet

Old 07-26-2004, 10:13 AM
If Toyota is giving the 05 Tundra 282hp that is a good step but my uncle, who is a service manager at a Toyaota dealership told me last year that the biggest weakness on the Tundra (as a real truck) is the frame. They need to beef that up as well for serious towing and plowing. I'm sure this is just a stop gap thing until they get that new plant in Texas up and going and bring on their new design. The tundra is pretty nice, it would have suited my purposes fine and if it had been bigger and more comfortable inside I might have bought one.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think Toyota can pull off the 4 door look! Almost as ugly as the small Chevrolet trucks in 4 door. Just my opinion though. Tundra stepside is a sin who ever invented that (no offence)is going to hell!

Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 PM
As someone who has been a Toyota owner for over a decade, and a Taco owner for 8 years... the Tundra was almost my automatic choice. But I have to admit that I thought the Ford was a little quieter and smoother.

The issues I had with the Tundra were:
1) Style. I thought the Tundra styling was very dated, both interior and exterior. Ford really has everyone else been here.

2) Gas mileage. From Tundra owners, it isn't much better than the 5.4L F-150. So why not get the extra HP of the Ford.

3) Quality. While I am a former Hoosier, and Purdue grad (I even watched that Toyota and SIA plants being built), you need to read the Tundra forums. There are plenty of quality issues with the Tundra. And IMHO, more than the Ford. Except for the vibration issue which is still quite rare, the other issues are minor and most Ford dealers are pleased to fix.

4) More for the money. I now it is small things, but I feel you get more options and technology for the money with the Ford, and for a lesser price.

5) Tundra Dcabs sitting around. I don't know about the dealers in your area, but the Tundra Dcabs are sitting on the lots by the hundreds. Why? I'm not sure, but I think price has something to do with it (too high). Also, so may people who buy Dcabs are looking to pull something (quads, trailer, camper, etc.) and the Tundra is not viewed to have the necessary HP or torque for the job.

6) Total ownership cost. I can't remember where I read it, but the Ford F-150 has the lowest total ownership cost vs. all other full sized trucks, including the Tundra. And this included expected repair costs, which were surprisingly high for the Tundra.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Threadhead
As someone who has been a Toyota owner for over a decade, and a Taco owner for 8 years... the Tundra was almost my automatic choice. But I have to admit that I thought the Ford was a little quieter and smoother.

The issues I had with the Tundra were:
1) Style. I thought the Tundra styling was very dated, both interior and exterior. Ford really has everyone else been here.

2) Gas mileage. From Tundra owners, it isn't much better than the 5.4L F-150. So why not get the extra HP of the Ford.

3) Quality. While I am a former Hoosier, and Purdue grad (I even watched that Toyota and SIA plants being built), you need to read the Tundra forums. There are plenty of quality issues with the Tundra. And IMHO, more than the Ford. Except for the vibration issue which is still quite rare, the other issues are minor and most Ford dealers are pleased to fix.

4) More for the money. I now it is small things, but I feel you get more options and technology for the money with the Ford, and for a lesser price.

5) Tundra Dcabs sitting around. I don't know about the dealers in your area, but the Tundra Dcabs are sitting on the lots by the hundreds. Why? I'm not sure, but I think price has something to do with it (too high). Also, so may people who buy Dcabs are looking to pull something (quads, trailer, camper, etc.) and the Tundra is not viewed to have the necessary HP or torque for the job.

6) Total ownership cost. I can't remember where I read it, but the Ford F-150 has the lowest total ownership cost vs. all other full sized trucks, including the Tundra. And this included expected repair costs, which were surprisingly high for the Tundra.
I'll address your points one by one:

1. I'll grant you that but the look is not offensive (think Titan) and the Ford shape is different with the high bed sides...I'm not sure I like the rear. One caveat, the 2005 Tundra will have some exterior changes, I'm just not sure what yet.

2. Remember we're talking about the new 2005, not the 2004 or older. The 2005 will have a 5 speed transmission that is said to give it better gas mileage. The current Tundra gets about 16 city and 19 highway...not bad and it should get better with the new transmission. The Ford only has a 4 speed.

3. I have to disagree here. I used to have a 2002 Tundra and other than the brakes (which have since been upgraded) the fit and finish were excellent. For reference, look at ALL of the consumer guide books and the Tundra is always at the top. Having said that, I'm not so dense to not realize that every manufacturer can put out some lemons. If you go to www.tundrasolutions.com now you really won't see a lot of problems. I keep hearing that the Ford's vib's are rare but even so, why no fix?

4. I looked at www.edmunds.com for comparison and they're actually pretty close to each other in price and options.

5. I agree with you on this one if we're talking about right now. They need more hp and torque and now they're getting it so this seems moot.

6. I can't really comment on this as I've never seen a big difference in my experience.

Please remember that I have not decided which one I'll get but at least Toyota is finally getting closer to the Ford F-150 specifications. It's worth a good look in the next couple of months when the come out.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by jake01
I'll address your points one by one:

2. Remember we're talking about the new 2005, not the 2004 or older. The 2005 will have a 5 speed transmission that is said to give it better gas mileage. The current Tundra gets about 16 city and 19 highway...not bad and it should get better with the new transmission. The Ford only has a 4 speed.

3. I have to disagree here. I used to have a 2002 Tundra and other than the brakes (which have since been upgraded) the fit and finish were excellent. For reference, look at ALL of the consumer guide books and the Tundra is always at the top. Having said that, I'm not so dense to not realize that every manufacturer can put out some lemons. If you go to www.tundrasolutions.com now you really won't see a lot of problems. I keep hearing that the Ford's vib's are rare but even so, why no fix?

4. I looked at www.edmunds.com for comparison and they're actually pretty close to each other in price and options.

5. I agree with you on this one if we're talking about right now. They need more hp and torque and now they're getting it so this seems moot.
2. Don't expect any great improvements in mpg. Adding HP (slight loss, extra weight) and a 5 speed tranny (slight gain, extra weight) will probably cancel each other out. Real world mpg from Dcab owners was running in the 16-17 range. You can't expect the new tranny to make that much of a difference. I get a pretty solid 17mpg from my F-150.

3. On quality issues, try not to fall into the trap of thinking that because it's a Japanese car, it must be better. Many owners of Hondas and Toyotas tend to overlook small issues and say they have 'few to none' quality issues when asked. I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying. Heck, I have not owned an 'american made' car in over 20 years. But Ford and DC have been making incredible strides in quality, but they don't seen to get credit for it.

It's kinda like what they used to call the 'Mercedes Effect'. Mercedes owners tend to report very few, if any, quality problems. Why? It could be because the dealerships treat them like royalty with free loaner cars, donuts, little gifts (some MB dealerships will even bring a car to your home to pickup yours for service). Maybe the owners feel the issues have been minimized and thus they don't report that real quality issue has occurred.

My Ford dealer has bent over backwards to help me with the couple of issues I had when I first got my truck. In comparison, when I bought my Honda Pilot two years ago, every warranty issues has been a fight. Oh yeah, my Pilot is up for it's FOURTH recall in two years. Do I still love my Pilot, yes. But I'm not under the auspices that Honda is perfect. Psst, my Taco was recalled twice.

4. Good, bad or ugly, there are many Ford rebates that bring the price much lower. Check to see if your company qualifies for an X-plan for an even better deal. When I was looking at the Tundra Dcab, they were only willing to come down a few thousand (which was odd because they disclosed to me that they had over 110 on the lot). Yes, Ford marks up their products much more than Toyota... it's what you can buy it for that counts

5. IMHO, it's not that simple. Yes, I think Toyota is just starting to understand the truck business. But there is still a difference in the engines, and it's not just the numbers. The Tundra engine is a high revving engine (comparatively), that doesn't produce it's max hp and torque until high in the rpm band. The others produce the power very low. This is what works better and makes more sense when hauling heavier loads. Of course, if you hardly every haul, then the higher revving engine will be a little more efficient and make no difference. I'm just saying it's an issue for most truck buyers as many are now buying trucks to do the occasional hauling, and they appreciate that low end power.

I'm was in the exact same position you are in now, and the Tundra and F-150 were tops on my list. Just hope some of my reflections on my decision process can help you too. Also, I hope you don't feel I'm trying to jump on you with my long reply (I apologize if you feel that way). I'm just hoping that other that come here to read can benefit from this thread as well.

Good luck my friend... and let us know what you decide

Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your response. I guess I won't know which one until I drive them one after the other.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:10 PM
No offence to you women out there but Toyota Tundra is a girly truck. I just looked at a pic of the 04 and 05, come on man it looks like a big Camry.

Ok looks aren't everything a hope you test-drive both so you can decide on your own that the F150 is a superior vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab is looking nice!