2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine ping

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine ping

I have an engine ping on steady throttle or slight throttle when going up hills. At first I could reproduce the ping on the same hill every time. The dealer said the mass airflow sensor was bad and replaced it. It stopped doing it on the one hill, but now it does it on other hills, ones that aren't so steep. I can take my foot off the gas and press it down again, the ping goes away. When it happens its like the engine jumps from second gear to 4th or overdrive then pings from the loss of power. I take my foot off the gas, re-apply and it goes back into a better gear.

Anyone else in hilly areas notice this? I'm going to take it back again but I wanted to know if there are others with a similar experience.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engine ping

That almost sounds like bad gas, but a faulty mass airflow sensor could be the culprit. Definitely, get it check out again ASAP. I have never heard my truck ping under any driving circumstances.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Happens to me occasionally. It happens when you're right on the border of needing to downshift or being ok in overdrive. I usually just turn off the overdrive on hills where I know I'll be going JUST fast enough for it to shift into overdrive, but not fast enough to keep it from pinging if I barely have my foot on the gas (stays in overdrive). This usually happens between maybe 40/45 and 50 o 55. Much faster and the engine rpm is too high to ping and much slower and it won't shift into overdrive.

(and this almost always only happens on hills...so people that don't live in hilly areas may not notice it)

Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 AM
There are three or four hills around here that get me too. I can't believe this thing pings after 12,000 miles. It's either the 12,000 or 15,000 mile check up where they recommend the fuel additive and filter replacement...I'll check Tuesday.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:53 AM
It's doing it because the engine is running at too low rpm under a heavy load. Mine only does it around 1,000 to 1,500 rpms or so. That's a heck of a lot of weight to try to pull up a high at just a little over 1,000 rpms. I think it's more of an engine managment issue. It tries to stay in overdrive longer than it should, in my opinion. It NEVER happens at higher rpms under a load.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:15 AM
It's a combo thing with rpms and the tranny. I live in a section known as the hills, there is no way to get to my home without going up or descending down a hill. ( bites in the winter ) So i always shift out of overdrive before leaving. Have to go up hill to
head out to work. You don't need to be in overdrive at all if your in a situation like downtown or city driving where your not getting
over 45 mph for an extended time.( no different then a five speed standard shift, you wouldn't be in that 5th gear if you didn't need too ) In fact the manual will even tell you too turn it off under those conditions.The manual for my Jeep i traded to get my f-150
said the same thing, hills and slower driving back it down a gear.
you'll see it's quicker too, in it's upshifts leaving the line from a
stop ... read your manual then give it a try.. I'm running all stock
4.6 right now and 87 octane fuel and have no probs what so ever

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4362

Old 07-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Yes, could be an overdrive issue. Last time I tested was before the mass airflow sensor was replaced. The overdrive/not over drive didn't make a difference at that time but the replacement of that part did make a difference. I don't think it's a bad gas issue. I'll try testing having the OD off around town.

Its the 5.4L btw. I read in an online review somewhere (can't think of the organization) that they had a similar issue when testing the new 5.4. An aftermarket airflow sensor or superchip adjustment may solve it. Its not worrysome as much as embarrasing.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Heavy
. Its not worrysome as much as embarrasing. [/B]
----------------------------------------------------------------

exactly ... good luck .. let us know what happens ..

Old 07-20-2004, 07:56 PM
So far it seems like an OD problem. It just likes to shift into OD all the freeking time. Best to just have it off around town or up steep hills.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
since they return to od everytime you shut it down the first thing i do after starting is shut it off, i leave it off 'til i know i'll need it and
my truck drives awesome.. love it.....

Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Is it better to do city miles without overdrive? Which is easier on the engine or consumes less gas? Does it matter? Any info would be great.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:00 AM
if your cruising in the city or in areas where your not exceeding 45 mph for extended times then the od is really not doing anything. see my above posts...

Quick Reply: Engine ping