2004 - 2008 F-150

35's w/4.56 gears... who has 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35's w/4.56 gears... who has 'em?

I have seen that a couple of people have got this combo on their lifted 2004 babies but can't seem to get anyone to give feedback on it. 10 MPG's is killing me!

Specifically,

Which brand of gears and how much were they?

How much to get them installed?

Performance with them in?

And most of all, what's your mileage now?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:13 PM
I answered!!! Really.

I recommend 4.56

Old 07-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks Heavy. Somehow I missed your response. Have you got a better sense for your gas mileage yet? And also, what brand of gears did you get; would you recommend them to me?

Anybody else out there with them?

Old 07-16-2004, 08:16 PM
my gas mileage seems to be about what it was stock.

I'm not sure the gear manufacturer, I had a shop install them. They have faint high pitched whine when coasting that seems to be getting quieter. They said aftermarket gears will do that. 500 miles is the break in period, so far I am about 1/2 that.

Old 07-17-2004, 04:14 AM
schmidty, as an update, how is everything going? besides the mileage, hows the ride, any rubs from the tires yet? Any thing else that you would like to share? Thanks, RV

Old 07-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Heavy, watch those gears. The onwer of the 4wd shop where I plan to get my gears installed said no gears should whine after being installed properly. If they do they are off slightly. I will test that theory out when I get mine done in a few months but just wanted to give you a heads up. So you like the 4.56's? Do you do much highway driving? Im still on the fence about 4.56's ot 4.10's with my 35's.

Old 07-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the tip supercrew, I will have them check it out. I don't do much freeway driving on a regular basis, the most amount of freeway driving would be weekend or trips. Plus I live in an area with a lot of hills. They say lower gears are good for off roading as well.

Old 07-17-2004, 05:52 PM
fordabbits-

Everything is fine thanks. I had my engine light go on because of a faulty throttle sensor and got it fixed. The service manager at my local dealership put me at eaze when he told me that pretty much none of my warranty was voided by my lift, with the exception of the suspension itself, of course. He also had his lead mechanic hook it up to the computer to have my truck's PCM recognize the 35's to fix the speedo. However, he said it maxed out shy of the actual measurement. Little dissappointing since I paid $150 for him to do it. I'm still trying to figure out how close it really is.

My other issue was the shudder effect in the rear end. I took the advice of another member and replaced the diff fluid with royal purple gear oil, and so far so good. I thought it would be easier than having to confront Ford service with warranty work. I haven't had cold weather since either which previously seemed to have a correlation with the severity of the shudder. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by schmidty

He also had his lead mechanic hook it up to the computer to have my truck's PCM recognize the 35's to fix the speedo. However, he said it maxed out shy of the actual measurement. Little dissappointing since I paid $150 for him to do it. I'm still trying to figure out how close it really is.
schmidty,

Was it $150 just for the speedo recalibration? Holy cow!...and they aren't even sure that it is accurate afterwards?...I'd be disappointed and aggravated (to put it nicely).

I wish you better luck with your gas mileage. Otherwise, your truck is awesome.

John

Old 07-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by SuperCrew02
Heavy, watch those gears. The onwer of the 4wd shop where I plan to get my gears installed said no gears should whine after being installed properly. If they do they are off slightly. I will test that theory out when I get mine done in a few months but just wanted to give you a heads up. So you like the 4.56's? Do you do much highway driving? Im still on the fence about 4.56's ot 4.10's with my 35's.
I talked to the guy today. He said they have installed hundreds of 4.56 gears over the years and all of them sound like this. He even described the sound. He said this size makes that noise it is normal. This is Off Road Warehouse in San Diego they have been doing this stuff for a long time. Its not loud by any means. I only hear it early in the morning when i drive to work and the windows are up with no air. Most of the time the tires are louder. You only hear it when the tires quiet down enough. I am not worried.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Heavy,

You said your MPG is about what is was stock. Does that mean you gained MPG? If so, I'm also thinking of re-gearing my truck. Right now I get 10 MPG and stock I was getting about 15 MPG.

Thanks for the reply.

Check out my pics!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3897

Old 07-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Ok, first off, the speedo and odometer are off and have not been corrected. I can't give an accurate estimate of mileage. I am guestimating based upon frequency of tank fills. I drive pretty much the same amount of miles each week.

Until I get the computer recallibrated I won't know for sure.

All I can say is that they sure feel good. I don't want to mislead anybody about the mileage.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 PM
I went back to the dealership a few weeks ago to have mine recalibrated for the larger tires. They were going to charge $75 to do it, but Fords program would not allow for that size tire. at least they didn't charge me since they couldn't do it and I got a free hand wash out of it.
So, I talk to superchips and the 1714 tuner when it comes out in a month or so is supposed to be able to accomodate for up to 37 or 38 inch tires.

Quick Reply: 35's w/4.56 gears... who has 'em?