2004 - 2008 F-150

Broken Piece inside door??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Piece inside door??

Okay so I finally get to drive my truck home after it was at the dealer getting various things fixed. Sooo Happy to have it back in my hands.

Heres the bad news...I get off the freeway after picking the truck up and go to roll down the back windows. All of a sudden I hear like a snapping sound coming from my back right window as it rolls down.

It sounded like some plastic or something broke off inside the rear (supercab) door. Now when I roll the window up and down the glass is hitting something within the door. Also when I shake the door I can hear something rattle inside.

I remember someone writing about this earlier and showing a picture.. Im going to do a search for it now, but does anyone have any idea why this would happen all of sudden (after 8k miles)

Thanks!
(damn glad to have my truck back though)

Old 05-11-2004, 11:11 PM
why? its because of the materials all the auto makers use today. anything to cut costs for them. most parts are going to be some of the cheapest material possible. i know ford is the best and toughest trucks available, but interior parts still arent top notch. lets face it, vehicles arent made like they used to be. used to be able to stomp on parts and they wouldnt be scratched. now you stomp on a part and its in 100 pieces.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:29 AM
I have a scab as well and only hear the rattling when I have the stereo playing. I remember the thread where the guy found a chuck of plastic in the (driver side door?) The rattling is coming from behind me so I am thinking I also have something not quite right in there.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Yup, there are entire threads on this, but the good news is it is incredibly easy to fix and your dealer will do it for free. You, or your dealer, will find black plastic inside the door that acts either as a sound insulator or a protective device for the window while it is down. It seems to have no detrimental effect on the truck, or the window, that the black plastic is not in it anymore.

The real annoyance is that my truck had the problem and was built almost 7 months ago so Ford should really have fixed this problem by now and/or sent an alert to dealers on it.

Relax, this is the only problem I have had with my truck and now have almost 9K on it.

PS It is late so I am not going to look, but one guy even threaded a camera into his door and got pics of how the black plastic attahes to the door, the door, etc.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by GotTorque?04
I have a scab as well and only hear the rattling when I have the stereo playing. I remember the thread where the guy found a chuck of plastic in the (driver side door?) The rattling is coming from behind me so I am thinking I also have something not quite right in there.
Me too!
Now to search for the thread with the fix in it...
I just hear it as I'm driving. Sometimes frequently, others not at all. I want to get it fixed before my road trip tomorrow!

Old 05-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here are some pics.

This is inside the door.

This is what I took out of the door.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the pics!
Did you take it to the dealer to fix this, or did you just take the pieces out and not do anything about it?

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
originally I took it to the dealer and they took some out. Then about a month or two later the rattling started back up so I took the door panel off (pretty easy to do if you have the instructions someone posted awhile back) and took out the plastic. I also broke off all the rest of the loose pieces that hadent fallen yet. The rattle has not come back since I took care of it myself.

Quick Reply: Broken Piece inside door??