2004 - 2008 F-150

Gas Prices and Our Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Bentwrench
wonder why ford wont sell that 2.5L turbo diesel 4 door crew cab ranger here in the US? even seemed to look alittle better then our rangers.
Probably won't meet U.S. smog specs. Nice truck though, and you see a lot here. There is a nice Ford accessory snorkel you can outfit the engine as well since people here seriously off-road those things through water channels and small lakes.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Damm! Im seriously thinking of trading in my truck. My dad bought it for me to go to college, but im going to go broke filling up the truck. Here the gas is $.42/litre, so it would take some $50 bucks to fill her up. I think im going to go rice burner or something. We dont really need another truck, My mom has a Sequoia, my sis' has an explorer, my dad a cadillac and me the f150. We have all the truck's we need. I dont know what to do.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Here in the USA, gas prices are higher because of 2 main reasons:

1) Cost of Oil

2) Refining capacity.

Number 2 is the primary culprit. A new refinery hasn't been built in the US for over 20 years and they are still shutting some down which will cause the gas prices to remain high. Here in CA, we stopped using MTBE because it is known to cause cancer and was found in our water system. Currently there aren't enough refineries making ethanol blend to put into the gas. I have no idea why but when CA asked refiners all over if they wanted to make CA gas, many of them just said no. Yeah, not like CA is a big market or anything. You couldn't possibly sell that much gas to CA to make it worthwhile huh.....

Higher gas prices are here to stay for the most part. It will go down a bit after the summer is over. With the Bush Hydrogen plan ahead of us, and the Govenator (Ah-nold) behind Hydrogen as well, it looks as if building a refinery won't really matter anymore anyway. My next truck will probably hybrid and the one after that will probably be hydrogen.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
here in calgary alberta gas is 82 cent's per liter, I have a 2002 f-1504wd with a 5.4, and yes I'm feeling my wallet get a lot lighter, I use my truck for work, my employer dose give me a 350.00 gas allowance per month, I'm doing well if I get get 450 km to tank doing mixed driving. I did bump my tire pressure up to 45 lbs. p270/17, helped a bit, truck is leased so i'm not worried abought tire wear. I hate the automatic in it, shifts lousy, truck has 42,000 km..

Last edited by lonnie brown; 05-08-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Here in Atlanta its $1.79 a gallon.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Blink1828533
Here in Atlanta its $1.79 a gallon.

In San Diego we would be jumping and dancing in the streets if we were paying $1.79 ($2.30 as of today) for 87 octane!

Old 05-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's Your MPG?

I live on the Space Coast in FL. Gas is about $1.83 a gallon for regular.
I got a 2004 Lariat Supercrew and get 16 mpg according to the gas calculator in the truck.
This is everyday driving in 25mph to 55mph speed zones. Haven’t been on any long trips yet; but expect to do considerably better on the road.

Old 05-10-2004, 12:01 AM
I just got back home for the summer from attending SMU in Dallas, Tx. The gas prices here in Oklahoma are more than in Dallas! That is something that I never thought would happen. On Friday I filled up my fiance's car with regular @ $1.709/gallon. Early this morning I went and filled it up for her return trip to Dallas. It was $1.87/gallon here in Yukon, OK. Over in the city I noticed it was hovering between $1.83-1.95/gallon. Something just isn't right . I am only 21, but when I look at gas prices and see that how much they are, and I can remember when I only paid $.85/gallon I start to feel kinda old....and this price gouging on gas is getting really old.

Old 05-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Who cares. Its still cheaper than it was in the 80s. Back then, it was $3 a gallon in today's dollars.

BTW, prices are high because OPEC cut production. OPEC cut production because they get paid in Euros. The dollar is cheap vs. the Euro so they cut production to raise prices so they get the same relative payout. Though gas prices are higher, US goods are cheaper to foreigners so it will drive exports up, fueling the economy, creating jobs, etc. Good and bad.

Last edited by 92TripleBlack; 05-10-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by 92TripleBlack

BTW, prices are high because OPEC cut production. OPEC cut production because they get paid in Euros. The dollar is cheap vs. the Euro so they cut production to raise prices so they get the same relative payout.
You are sure about that. Haven't heard about it and I think that's not true.
It's still paid for in US$.IMO.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:01 AM
If it's not raining, I'm riding the Harley...LOTS better gas mileage!!

Old 05-10-2004, 09:34 AM

Bottom line

Old 05-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Gas prices will never come down. Why would they? They've been steadily increasing for years. Americans will complain and adjust. That's what we've done for over 20 years. We Americans really won't change our driving habits. Not enough to make the oil and gas companies take notice. I'm sure the rising cost of gas will become an election issue. But the cost will still go up and we'll keep paying. In the perspective of the gas and oil companies - why should prices go down?

Old 05-10-2004, 10:11 AM
petard,

Good point, and a true statement.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 92TripleBlack

BTW, prices are high because OPEC cut production. OPEC cut production because they get paid in Euros. The dollar is cheap vs. the Euro so they cut production to raise prices so they get the same relative payout. Though gas prices are higher, US goods are cheaper to foreigners so it will drive exports up, fueling the economy, creating jobs, etc. Good and bad.
um, no. they do not get paid in euros. all fuel markets are in dollars. and remember, OPEC never really follows their production caps. they regularly exceed those production caps. next time you are at a gas station take a look at the posted taxes. in CA we pay almost $.40/gallon in taxes I believe. sure, the ol companies or "the man" raise the base price and the taxes are slapped on top of it, but something's gotta give. the government can lower the price by reducing their cut.

a few years ago I heard about a lawsuit against the oil companies for their regional pricing practices, but i never heard of the outcome of the lawsuit. basically prices were higher in the inner city and they were getting sued for discriminatory pricing. but if you notice, prices can be different at stations only a few blocks from each other. in Bel Air by the 405 there is a gas station that is usually 20-30 cents more expensive than a station about 2 minutes away in Westwood. go figure. if anyone else heard about this lawsuit and knows the outcome, I'd be interested to hear.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices and Our Trucks