2004 - 2008 F-150

Photos - XLT with Extang Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos - XLT with Extang Tonneau

Hi Guys:

Just took some new photos-- Loving my Truck!

04 XLT - Torreador Red/ AZ Biege-- With new Extang Black Max. Tonneau.

Joe

Gallery:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3845

Old 05-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Thats a very nice truck you have there.Enjoy the ride.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:27 PM
How do you like the cover. I bought the same one for mine but at highway speeds it seems to have a lot more play than I would expect. It is my first soft tonneau. I have it set up on the tighter setting but I still get an air pocket in the front and a deep valley towards the rear, other than that it looks great and keeps all dry.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Extang - play...

thanx grayflare!

EddyG88:

I love the cover, keeping gear dry now... I really like the look of a classic tonneau snap down.

It does have a little play above 60mph.. but not excessive.

It had more play when it was first installed; I had to re-assemble the cross members-- the outfit that installed it did not put the end of the cross members in the proper slot (tongue/groove as per the instructions). When I did this they flexed a bit higher, and that tightened the cover a bit more.

Make sure the cross members are fit in the proper key.

Lots of folks have commented on the tonneau, and the truck.

Joe

Last edited by Clicker; 05-05-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Nice truck!

Old 05-05-2004, 08:00 PM
I have mine in the upper key right now for less flex, is that the same position as yours?
You are right its a great cover for a great truck. I had to go Black Max with the all black truck.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Here's my truck with the Extang RT.

I like the flat look of the RT. Doesn't have the "covered wagon" look with the rails pushing the cover up.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2004, 11:38 PM
EddyG88

EddyG88:

Regarding Play

my cross members are over the Lower position/key, maybe it makes the tarp a little tighter??

You can also check to see if the crossmembers are in the right positions as each has a different height and fitted to its position on the bed-- they are marked first/front, middle, and last (or so).

Also there is an adjustment with the snaps and they can tighten the tarp a bit too (see instruction sheet).

I have the snaps at max., and the tarp was tight going on... had to pull on it a bit to snap it on.

Joe

Old 05-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Same here, I guess we have it set up the same. Must be me. Its nothing excessive and probably normal. Like I said I never had a soft tonneau before. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by RED WING NUT
Here's my truck with the Extang RT.

I like the flat look of the RT. Doesn't have the "covered wagon" look with the rails pushing the cover up.
I like that one, and also the Extang Revolution that looks like it..I got the Extang Classic Platinum with my truck. You're supposed to be able to put it on in all weather, but it won't go on in cold temperatures. I just may get one of those low-profile covers soon, does anyone know if they're easy to put on in freezing temperatures?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 AM
Just a little feedback about Extang and my experience.

In March 2006, I purchased the RT Toolbox cover for my 05 XL. I loved the way it looked and fit. Four years later, a few issues have arisen with wear. The velco strips were not holding the tonneau securely to the rails. Also, the vinyl borders on the edges of the cover were cracking. I contacted Extang, provided a few pics and the lot number stamped on the underside. A new cover and the replacement velcro is on the way, and no with hassles. I wish all my customer service dealings were as pleasant as this one.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM
The Extang Revolution has no snaps and no velcro, and it's also flat. It looks really slick. The Extang Classic Platinum was already on my truck when I picked up my truck from the dealership, so I'll just be happy with the "covered wagon look". The only thing that really aggravates me is I can't get it to go on in the cold weather, I wish it had more adjustment.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They sent me 8 free snaps when I called them and tried to order some. I bought the cover used and was missing 3 snaps.

BTW Ive got the Black Max and noticed it sags in the rear by the tailgate when on the highway.

Ive got the supports on the lower setting and the snaps on the higher setting because it was cold out.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
The wind resistance causes that sag. Here's a tip..you can install the supports with the tarp snapped on. It's easy to put them in afterward, low or high setting. The difficult part is getting the snaps on in cold weather, I had a heck of a time today with the temperature at almost 50.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just realized youre right near me. Im in Rotterdam near the Woodlawn border.

I usually snap the cab end and the tailgate end, then put the bars in and snap the sides down.

I use a Stanley electric portable blower/heater to warm the cover to get it to stretch on in cold weather. It works great at warming the cover up in a short amount of time.

Pretty soon I'll flip the snaps over and put the bars on the top setting.

I bought the cover a month or so ago and havent really played with it much and really only take it off when hauling my quad in the bed.

Quick Reply: Photos - XLT with Extang Tonneau