2004 - 2008 F-150

Upgrading the audio system in the 2004

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading the audio system in the 2004

I have the 2004 Screw FX4, with the standard in dash radio (6 disc changer). I would like to upgrade the speakers with the Infinity Kappa's. Can anyone tell me what size I need for the front and rear doors? Also, can anyone suggest an amp that would work well with my system and the Infinity Kappas?

Thanks,

axe124

Old 04-25-2004, 02:49 PM
i'm thinking about the same thing when i get my truck back. i have the stock stock sound system. I was thinking about getting a nice pioneer MP3/CD player off of ebay and getting 2 of the kappas. I'm pretty sure the speakers in the doors are 6x9.

Anyone know if it wouold be enough power to run to the speakers right from the HU? i believe the HU puts out 50 x 4 watts...i'm guessing that's 50 watts to 4 speakers heh.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:30 PM
The speaker size for both front and back is 6x8 although 5x7 will fit in the opening. There is also a spot for a separate tweeter in the front doors.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:51 PM
I just upgraded my 4 speakers Kenwood KFC-C6879ie's (2-55 RMS) and put in an Alpine F340 (55 watt RMS) amp this weekend. The speakers in the front and rear are 6x8's. I like the 6 disc in-dash radio so I kept it, but the install would have been a whole lot easier with an aftermarket hu with RCA's. Especially, when it came to the turn-on lead. It took me a while to find a 12V source on the wiring harness. One of the wires I spliced into was the speed control, which was actually quite funny. Whenever the truck was stoppped the radio worked, when it was moving it shut off. Routing the wires wasn't too bad just a lot of them. BTW, I put the amp under the rear seat on the hump.

IMO, the infinity's are nice, but I try to keep the max RMS of the speakers close to the max RMS of the amp. The RMS of the infinity's are 2-100watts. That's a big and expensive 4-channel amp. I seriously doubt the RMS of the stock radio is 50x4 much less the 100 watts I would use to drive those infinity's.

Just thinking out my a$$.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:21 PM
The size for the front and rear is 6X8. You can use the Infinity Kappa series 572.5 speakers for both or you can use the component 50.5 speakers up front with some adapters, or you can use the 60.5 speakers up front but you will have to make your own adapters. These speakers will sound great but they will sound better with an amp pushing them. Now if you still want the same quality sound and dont plan on putting an amp in at all, you might consider the Reference series of Infinity speakers. They have the 6802cf 6X8 speakers and the 5000cs 5.25" component speakers and the 6000cs 6.5" component speakers. I have the Kappa series speakers in my truck (50.5cs up front and 572.5cf in the rear) with a 75 X 4 Rockford amp and they sound great. Just some food for thought.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Kappas in mine also. Look in gallery for pictures.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:13 PM
I am looking at upgrading my sound system right now to. I think I am going to get Alpine CDA - 9287 (CD, MP3, WMA), Infinity Kappa 50.5cs upfront, Infinity Kappa 572,5cf in rear both powered by Audiobahn A6004T (75W X 4). I am not going to get sub and another amp right now (out of $ )

Question to all you guys with upgraded systems. How hard or easy was it routing your speaker wires and power to amp. Any major issues that you encountered. Did you have to pull out passanger seat for amp.

I can't wait to get started

That factory system really blows.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM
That all depends. Are you going to install amp under passenger seat? If you are you will need to pull the seat for easier access. Also you need to prefit to make sure it will fit under there. There are channels on both sides of the truck under the sill plates to run wires as long as they arent too large. All you have to do is pull up the plastic panels over them.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I replaced the factory 6 disc with a pioneer cd/mp3, the front speakers with Kendwood 5x7 components and a custom sub box that houses 2 10s under the back seat (from soundoffaudio.com). The amp rests beind the driver seat in with a cover I made with the same carpet as the box. Since no one really fits behind me when I drive it wasnt that much of a space concern (Scab with the driver seat all the way back). The power for the amp is 4gauge and that runs through the firewall on the driver side through a rubber gromet near the gas pedal. From there is goes under the carpet and along the driver side step under the plastic sill. There is enough room but not for the power and the RCAs (not good to run together anyway). I am running the RCA outs along the passenger side in the same fashion. The ground lead is bolted to where the jack used to be, and there you have it. Eventually I might change the rear speakers but they are only filler and with the components up front everything sounds great.
I sold the factory 6 on ebay for $300 (a guy who owned a tundra and decided to use the stereo on his boat). So the new pioneer is 10 times better and was totally covered by the factory unit sale. Once I have a camera I will post all the pics I can. The install of an aftermarket stereo is VERY easy as long as you can build up the nerve to pop off that front panel. I hope this helps all the upcoming installers. Email me if anyone has any questions. eddyg88@hotmail.com

Old 04-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket subwoofer that will fit in the stock audiophile box?

Old 04-26-2004, 05:47 PM
bigsherm, I think that if you didn't try to get a high end sub it will fit. My guess is around 4.5" deep but that isn't fact, just a guestimate from when I looked at the sub when it came out. Double stacked magnets and cast frames will be what you want to stay away from unless it is shallow mounting. I'd suggest an RE 8 but that would be 2 ohm and it might blow the little sucker. Check mounting depth before you buy.

axe124, I suggest you get as much quality power as you can afford. Anything over 100 RMS a channel will sound very good behind any comps and at least 50 RMS on coaxs. I am so happy with my CDT HD-62's that I just have to suggest them to you. Can be had for $250 in the speaker forum here.

I've never been much of an Kappa fan but they are a more mainstream popular speaker. The CDT's are a much fuller richer sound with less agresive tweeter but they are still there and bright, just not ear piercing. The CDT HD series will also image better than the kappas especialy from the stock door position.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Sticker Steve,
Thanks for the response, I agree that I'm not looking for ear peircing music, just would like clear crisp sound. I will surely check out the CDT's.

axe124

Quick Reply: Upgrading the audio system in the 2004