2004 - 2008 F-150

Did I speak too soon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I speak too soon?

Background information on the wrench light and CEL problem with my '04 FX4 SCrew.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Well, I'm happy to say that the wrench light and CEL with rough running engine problem appears to be fixed.

Did I speak too soon about liking my truck otherwise? I ask myself this because for the past two mornings, I've got the steering wheel "nibble" problem that many other posters here have reported. With my hand on it, I can feel the steering wheel trying to shake as I'm driving the freeway at about 70-75 MPH. The problem seems to lessen as the truck warms up, and it appeared to be gone by the time I got to work (15 minute drive, all at freeway speed). FYI, I've got about 6700 miles on my truck now.

I can only assume that since it's happening now, it's only going to get worse. What do you all think .... this going to get worse?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 AM
If the nibble is gone after driving for awhile then its probably just flat spots on the tires from sitting over night. Its a common problem with all sorts of vehicles. Someone said the Generals' have this problem. What tires come on the 17" wheeled FX4's? My FX4 has the 18" BFGoodrich, they have been fine, 4000 miles.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Silvrdrgn, Does the wheel go back and forth or up and down? Dgdee, I have the generals and do have flat spots, the farther you go, the smoother it gets. I looked around for what other tires I could buy in this size, and only found Generals. They were $80.00 each. I can't even imagine how crappy an 18' tire that only costs $80 retail is.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:04 PM
The 255/70/17 Generals that were OEM on my XLT can be bought locally for $52...at that RETAIL, can you imagine what FoMoCo paid for them? I swapped 'em out at 2000 miles (although I didn't have any problems with them).

Old 04-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by dgdee
If the nibble is gone after driving for awhile then its probably just flat spots on the tires from sitting over night. Its a common problem with all sorts of vehicles. Someone said the Generals' have this problem. What tires come on the 17" wheeled FX4's? My FX4 has the 18" BFGoodrich, they have been fine, 4000 miles.
My FX4 with 17's came with General tires. I thought about not starting this thread at all because it might be a tire problem. However, I decided to post it because the problem just started happening. It has not been happening all along. (shrug) I dunno what to think.

@momalle1,
The wheel feels like it wants to force me to turn a corner. Like it's steering itself left and right very rapidly.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Flat spots should not move the wheel back and forth, it sounds like you have bad belts in the tires.

Quick Reply: Did I speak too soon?