2004 - 2008 F-150

Fail safe and codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fail safe and codes

Hey Guys, I had the fail safe and CE light problem the yesterday at 1400 miles. My F-150 SC was built in october of 03 2wd and 4.6L. I went into the dealer yesterday and they reflashed the computer and 3 codes (P0121, P0122, and P2106) were registered. So everything was fine on their test drive and my drive home but coming into work today it's on again. I thought they had the newest software out and a repeat failure wouldn't be a problem.

Has this happened to anyone else? Going back in today to hook it back up to see what happened

Thanks,
Jason

Old 04-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm just waiting for it to happen to me.....

My dealer said it has been an issue, they fully expect to get it figured out. He said they have even been replacing the entire computer and it is not helping much either.

From reading posts here, the 5.4L's seem to have had success with replacing the Throttle Body or something like that to stop the dreaded lights. The 4.6L may need the same fix, especialy if it is virtually the same exact programing for both motors, as my dealer claims the drive by wire is the common link that requires this.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info,

I called the dealer this morning and asked if they had ever seen this problem reoccur after the reflash and they said no...That's what has me worried and why I want to know as much as I can going in, even help them help me if they don't have a clue and you guys do.

Thanks
Jason

Old 04-08-2004, 10:22 AM
yeah.. I'd still make them figure it out, if you can do without the truck for a while, if not, keep on their butts about it.

I'll bet, they want to replace your entire PCM next.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Update....

Well, it was the exact same problem. They gave Ford a ring and they authorized a replacement of the throttle body on my 4.6L. It should be finished sometime tomorrow. Hope this works, and I hope it helps someone else out someday.

Thanks
jason

Old 04-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Well,

It looks like the new throttle body was the ticket. lights are off and the throttle seems more responsive than before.

Thanks
Jason

Old 04-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Throttle Body

Jason and any others with the same problem:

I've been reading how changing the throttle body has solved the fail safe problems for several people--- Glad for that!

But what was wrong with the throttle body... did it fail mechanically in some way, or was there an associated sensor with it that is failing??

It would be good to know-- if you guys have any idea.

Also do we have to be concerned that the new throttle bodies will fail.

Appreciate any insights!

Joe

Quick Reply: Fail safe and codes