2004 - 2008 F-150

01' Dodge puts 04' Screw in its place

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When do expect it to be 100% complete and installed?

I am excited to see it at 100%

Old 04-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The manifold spread on this appears to be a 5.0 liter. Correct me if it's a 5.8. Starting with something like this would have eliminted any machining woes and given you a bunch of new parts. It appears to be in your target price and H.P. range.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=3791.

Something like this would have been even better.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crate...eightliter.asp

Other than the fact that you have some fun doing it yourself it's tough to beat some of the crate engine bargins available today. If you're going to inject it you'll still want to spend some of those foolish dollars on a good program/tune.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 04-12-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by GearHead_1
The manifold spread on this appears to be a 5.0 liter. Correct me if it's a 5.8. Starting with something like this would have eliminted any machining woes and given you a bunch of new parts. It appears to be in your target price and H.P. range.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=3791.

Other than the fact that you have some fun doing it yourself it's tough to beat some of the crate engine bargins available today. If you're going to inject it you'll still want to spend some of those foolish dollars on a good program/tune.
Gearhead,

This was more for the experience of doing it, but I agree that crate engines more often than not are the better alternative if you're on a budget (time or money) and just looking to freshen up a car.

Problem with the Ford Racing crate engines is:
- exaggerated hp. That configuration will produce about 290-310 hp. The Trickflow setup will produce more power.
- non-roller pedestal rockers vs stud mount adjustable roller rockers
- the oilpan, timing chain cover, waterpump, and balancer are that of an Explorer 5.0 and need to be converted to use on a Mustang.
- hypereutectic vs forged pistons.
- stock rod bolts and head bolts vs ARP bolts.
- $3395 vs about $3000

If I had to do it all over again I would buy a shortblock from one of the many race engine builders (like DSS) for $1500-1800, but the experience this time around has been worth spending just as much and having to do it all myself.

It'll be injected, but I don't need a "program or tune" since it's non-OBD.

Last edited by Agent86; 04-13-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
I know what you mean, everyone here knows about the Poweraid TB spacer, and it's amazing performance benefits, haha. I've just tried to choose wisely, and so far I "am" happy with how it's worked out. It is definitely over stock, just never dynoed it.,,,,98
This is what I'm talking about. He can feel the difference too.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=153500

Old 04-13-2004, 10:19 AM
I am fortunate to work with several of the aftermarket companies often mentioned in this forum. I know that in most cases, the horsepower increases are chassis dyno verified. I have personally witnessed 20-30 hp gained in gas vehicles(non supercharged), and up to 130 hp in a diesel truck. I have also seen gains with air management devices of up to 20-25 hp, and 40-50 lb/ft of torque. I have been lucky to ride in several vehicles with these modifications and have noticed enormous differences in power you can "feel".
I just had to add my nonconfrontational two cents in to defend the aftermarket, or at least the little segment with which I am familiar. There are reputable companies that dyno test every product they sell, and if you research your product selection, you can wind up with an improvement with which you are truly happy. I sure do love my 04 S-Crew, and will keep you all up to date on my modifications.

Quick Reply: 01' Dodge puts 04' Screw in its place