2004 - 2008 F-150

Got and inch of rain last night and my sunroof was open

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got and inch of rain last night and my sunroof was open

Captain numb-nuts reporting for duty.

That's right boys a girls. I left it WIDE open. Not vented, not 1/2 way open, but ALL THE WAY OPEN. I had even hit the button again for the extra 4" or so of open roof.

Negatives-
Seats are soaked. Floor is soaked. The cupholders are air tight and were full of water. The console is not airtight and was full of water. Pretty sure I have to get another XM Commander remote...it was floating in the cupholder.

Positives-
Atleast we didn't get 6". Headliner is dry. Sunroof shade is dry. Dash/radio did not get wet. Power drivers seat still works. I have cloth and not leather.

It was one of those light drizzle kind of rains, not a downpour, but an inch just the same. The wind didn't blow and like I said, it wasn't a driving rain, so it pretty much just fell straight in.

It is sunny outside now with a slight breeze, so I have every window down, roof open (again) and the power rear slider open. I hope it dries.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Sorry to hear that.
According to tonights forecast, we should expect more rain in our area, http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USGA0028_f.html , so close it up beforehand so you don't have a repeat performance.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh man that sucks! sorry to hear that. That happened to me with my car. Heres what I did with my car. I opened all the doors pointed 2 fans into the car used a towel and pressed super hard on the seats to soak up as much water as I could and I had a little heater about a foot tall and placed it on the passenger floor and turned it up to high and left it all day. The car took about a day or so to dry out. The seats will wrinkle. Also if you have a shop vac use it!! I helps. Just keep a breeze flowing through to get the dampness out.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm a bit stunned to hear that this truck is not smart enough to know when it's raining and close the sun roof automatically!

When it's raining out and my headlights are set to auto, I half-expected the lights to come on automatically when the windshield wipers are running....

I'm so disappointed.

But seriously, sorry to hear about the deluge in your truck.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:19 PM
OOOPS!

No kidding, make sure not to forget 2 nights in a row. At least space em out so the thing has time to dry between coats.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
That sux

One of the cons of living in downtown Altnat is that there is always crime, so by nature I lock down my truck evertime I park it...that includes closing the moonroof...

Maybe you should move downtown...:-) :-)

Old 03-30-2004, 01:30 PM
TUFF FORD,

That's too bad. We've all done (or will someday do) something like that.

I'm sure you're on top of things already, but Arctic Cat F7 has given some good pointers to help get things completely dry.

It's not likely that you'll forget to close the moonroof again, but chances are for at least the next few months you'll be running out to double check your windows and moonroof every time it starts to rain..even if you're "sure" you closed them.

Trending Topics

Old 03-30-2004, 01:48 PM
I was born and raised in a small town, and one of the habits I picked up was leaving the truck unlocked and even leaving the keys in the ignition. Here, I figure if someone is looking to steal my truck, they won't have to bust out any windows or anything, plus insurance will buy me another one.

I just got careless I guess.

I went through 4 towels this morning before coming to work soaking up the mess. I laid the seats back to make sure they can breathe as well. Good point about the fan. I'll hook it up when I get home.

I still can't believe I did this. Atleast now I don't have to worry so much about spilling anything in it.

One of my good buddies buys a new truck every year, and the first thing he does when he gets it to his house is open the tailgate and THROW a hammer in the bed and let it bang around. Then he doesn't feel so bad when he gets a scratch/dent. He's not the coldest beer in the fridge, but it makes him feel better.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Close doors; roll up side windows.

2. Open sunroof.

3. Pour cat litter thru sunroof into interior, till full.

4. Wait 2 days for cat litter to soak up water.

5. Open doors, allowing cat litter to escape.

6. Vacuum up remaining cat letter.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:20 PM
hey look at it this way.. at least the rain helped with the Pollen!

or did all that yellow just collect and embed in your cloth? :-)

I wanted a yellow truck.. but got black knowing that at least once a year in GA I would have yellow!

Pine trees are great!

Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 PM
D'oh!!!!!

Old 03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Sorry, to hear about that...

but you should be able to just take your remote apart clean it good with an electronics cleaner, make sure it's completely dry, and put it back together. Usually as long as you don't try to use something while still wet water won't hurt them... unless of course it sits for a long time...

Old 03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
What a Bummer

I learned the same lesson the same way years ago ... it's easier to cool the truck down, than it is to dry it out.

Hope everything dries out OK.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Look on the bright side - you won't ever do this again.

I launched a boat without having the drain plug in once. Guess what I never forget to do now?

Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I saw a guy drop a $60K boat off the trailer on I-70 @75 mph because he forgot to tie it down.

Worse things can happen.

Quick Reply: Got and inch of rain last night and my sunroof was open