2004 - 2008 F-150

4x4 noise when engaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 noise when engaged

Hey guys,

I engaged 4-Hi today in Rochester, with this monster storm that is passing through. Anyway, there is a fairly noticeable whine from the t-case when the engine is given gas (acceleration or just maintaining speed, though acceleration makes the noise substantially louder). It disappears completely for a few seconds after letting off the gas, and then a slighty different (but very similar) whine appears as the truck slows down from engine braking (was driving w/ OD off). Oh, and it's noticeable at all speeds, but obviously loudest when I was doing 40-50mph. I have the 5.4L with manual 4x4 engagement.

I am sure this is normal, obviously the 4x4 system makes noise from all the gears and connections. I had a '90 Chevy, that I don't remember making quite this noticeable of noise, but that was a long time ago, I don't remember. I just wanted to make sure, being as it is the first time that I have engaged 4x4 for any real length driving on my '04.

- Justin

Old 03-17-2004, 09:09 PM
(bump)

Old 03-18-2004, 01:05 AM
I have the MSOF myself. I notice a very small version of what I think you are talking about. If I put my hand on the shift **** I can feel a very high frequency whine. When i'm on a good traction surface, like dry cement, and the drivetrain is winding up more I can hear it a little more. But I'm not sure how that compares to your situation. Are you engaging it under 45(32-)/55(32+) like the instructions say??

-ii

Old 03-18-2004, 01:44 AM
First thing I would check out is the gear oil. After that, I am out of ideas. If you have any warranty, take it back to the dealer and ask what they think. Also, for better results, post this in the `other drivetrain` and `engine` forums. Good luck, and keep us posted in case someone else has a similar problem later on!

Old 03-18-2004, 02:05 AM
well I just wanted to give some in put. I do not have the manual setup like you do but when I engage the 4 hi on my truck it makes a little click and then it is just as quiet as it was in 2 hi. i think if it is that loud your gear lube is low I would definitely take it back to the dealer.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:28 AM
RECALL!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys, I'll it in when I get back from a trip this weekend. I'll be sure to stay out of 4x4 until then. No harm in that right?

- Justin

Old 03-18-2004, 09:02 AM
I don't use my 4X4 on hard ground, pretty much just dirt and gravell but all I get is a click, no whinning going on over here. I agree that it should be checked out. Let us know what happens with it.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:39 AM
jmvdigital

I used to live in Rochester too. what a great place for weather, are you in the city or in the burbs. I am going back up in April, and I am sure they will still be buried, or at least I hope so! Offroading is great up there.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:11 PM
EddyG,

I'm a bit of west of the city, in Spencerport. Nice small-town feel, even though downtown Roch is only 15 minutes away.

Any tips on some offroading around here? I haven't gotten into anything in the area yet.

Let's hope there is a bit of sunshine by April. We had 30+ days in a row of snow back in January. I haven't looked lately, but last I heard the shoreline had 150-160" of snow this year.

- Justin

Old 03-22-2004, 09:42 PM
The real stuff is the Adirondacks! If you can get up there there are tons of trails and what not. The winter is great for open snow trails and powerline trails. A lot of sites/clubs post available trails in the area. Then again its Rochester, you are pretty much offroading all the time in the winter.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 AM
I have the same thing going on here. Sounds somewhat like a little bit of a grinding sound. Like when brake pads get low, but not near as pronounced. I have noticed that if I put my hand on the 4x4 selector and move it a fraction to another direction the noise will subside or get quieter. Think I'll have it checked out tomorrow, only 500 miles so far. Let you know how it comes out.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:12 AM
Hey Eddy!
In august my brother and I spent a week backpacking in the Adirondacks, hiked back through nippletop, colivin, haystack, marcy, basin, saddleback, the gothics and some others. It was awesome times! Surely some mountains I have on my "return to" list!

Myself on Mount Haystack.

P.S. Sorry for hyjacking the thread.

-ii

Old 03-23-2004, 07:40 AM
IzInBloom, no problem on the hijack, we aren't getting very far on the 4x4 noise anyway.

RMill8 let me know how you make out with getting that checked out. Mine is heading into the dealer this afternoon to fix a bunch of other minor stuff (scratched wheels, damaged rear window molding, leaky tail-light) and I'm going to have them check out the 4x4 noise.

- Justin

Old 03-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, went to the dealership today to get this checked out and here is how it was explained to me. First of all normal. He went for a ride with me and said the reason I hear the noise is because unlike the elctrtonic 4x4 selector I have a direct connection from the transfer case to the inside of my truck (throung the stick and I guesss the hole in the bottom of the floorboard to the xfer case) . Sound from the transfer case can more easily travel into the cab of the pickup because of that and that is why I am hearing th noise. All of them do it, just some cant hear it. If you are going to your dealer today it might be nice to bring it up to him and see if you get the same thing from them. I mean I have the warranty for a while but if something is wrong I'd like to fix it now instead of replace it later............................................. .................................................. ...............I dont like taking other peoples word for things and had to check this out on my own to be satisfied. Dad has 02 w/ 30k just like mine, well I will get to that later. Went to his house and took it for a drive. Put it into 4wd and heard the same noise as in mine. Put it into 4 low and it was louder. Makes me feel a lot better about it now knowing his does it too and has not had any problems. Now as for it being just like mine it is, has all the same options and everything, even the same color. When I drove it I immediately noticed it was much smaller inside, almost cramped. Rode a lot rougher and felt small. I almost felt sorry for him. Dont get me wrong I thought about buying his for awhile but looking back, bigger, stronger, smoother IS better.

Last edited by RMills8; 03-23-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 4x4 noise when engaged