2004 - 2008 F-150

Remove back seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remove back seat

Can someone please help me with instructions on how to remove the upper part of the back seat in a 2004 Scab? I'm pretty sure there's room for an amp back there, but I'd rather have some direction before I start tearing stuff apart.

I saw reference in earlier links to a pdf file from motorcraft.com on this subject. Does anybody have that they could forward to me at switzer@bigfoot.com ?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 04:37 AM
I am fixing to look into that too. Hopefully I will be able to shed some light on this in the next day or two. Give me a chance to see if I can figure it out. If you dont have someone tell you before then, I will post my findings.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:42 PM
The following was kindly posted to me over at the "other" forum (FordTrucks) where I asked the same question. Will give it a try tonight.

It's actually pretty simple. Locate the plastic cover where the shoulderstrap position is for the rear seat drivers side passenger. It's that box sitting on top of the seat back. Remove the little plastic panel on top of it and remove the two nuts inside. Let the box dangle and lift up on the entire seat back. It's held in with clips that you just lift the seat back off of. There is room for an amp. I installed a good size 4-channel Eclipse back there. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:38 PM
The other thing you will want to do is to locate the release pin on the center seat belt. It is toward the seat side so it's hard to see but just push a paper clip or wire up in there and the belt will release. Makes it a bit easier to work back there.

I took those crazy child belt deals off the back wall while I was in there. You can see those things sticking up in our trucks from a mile away going down the highway. Can't believe that they just put rubber bands on them and called it close enough. There was room for a small amp back there, but not much room.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 PM
I was thinking about putting an back there myself. There isn't enough room under the front passenger seat or under the rear seat for a 4-channel amp.

Are you guys looking to mount it on the back wall? How is the ventilation?

Thanks for the info guys

Old 03-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey Sticker Steve:

I'm not sure what you mean about the center seat belt, but I separated the minibuckle. The problem now is I can't locate these mysterious retaining clips (supposed to be one on each side according to the pdf instructions). I'm two clips shy from just lifting that seat back off the back wall.

Anybody out there have a clue?

Old 03-11-2004, 09:19 PM
The mini buckle is what I was reffering to.

Retaining clips??? Mine just lifted up and out. I also took the bottom out so if something came off, it wasn't on the floor when I was done.

Have someone give you a hand and have them on the other side of the truck. Give it a little pressure and it just pops up. Lift it straight up.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 PM
No really.....retaining clips!!

In hindsight it's really easy

1) Remove the shoulder belt housing and let it hang

2) Detach the mini buckle

3) Fold up one of the back seats and observe the horizontal tube with the child seat brackets attached. Inside the seat back, just above this metal tube is another tube just like it. You need to slide a screwdriver up into the seat along that child seat bracket and over the bar inside the seat.

Push towards the back as you pull down on the seat, then push the seat up (if you don't pull down it may not disengage the clip). There's a sizeable plastic clip back there that you'll be pushing on, maybe without even realizing it (that was my problem). It's super easy. Anybody really cares, I can send pics.

4) Repeat on opposite end of seat.

5) Lift seat back off.

Kurt

Old 03-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Kurt,

Can you please post pics of the removal? I don't know what I am doing wrong???

Old 03-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Send me an e-mail

Anyone interested in pics, send me an e-mail. I put together a little instruction that is easiest sent that way.

Old 03-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Maybe I figured this gallery thing out.... If so, the pics should help. Also a picture of the installed amp.

Old 03-13-2004, 10:33 PM
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=5753

Use that url. The one you have listed goes into the control panel to edit your gallery.

Last edited by Sticker Steve; 03-13-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I remember that clip now Guess I didn't relize it was holding it in. I noticed it when undoing the minibuckle and popped it out. Some help I am

Old 04-14-2004, 06:04 PM
thorin:
I want to install an amp exactly like you did. Great install. But before I start removing the back seat and buying a new amp, I was hoping you remember how much space was back there. About what are the dimensions of your amp? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
dave

Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 PM
About what are the dimensions of your amp?

Thorin:

Good question, I was wondering that myself. It would be good to know before I went shopping. The amp I am looking at is the Alpine MRV-F340. Dimensions are 11-13/16"x2-3/8"x12-7/16" (WxHxD).

How is the ventilation?

Also, I noticed you have a new head unit. Was the OEM the 6 disc in-dash? I don't think there is a aftermarket unit out yet. I guess not having RCA outputs on your head unit wasn't a problem for you.

Looks like a good looking system. I like the tray under the head unit. You should consider throwing an equalizer there. I did this on my last truck. IMO, equalizers are very under-rated.

Quick Reply: Remove back seat