2004 - 2008 F-150

Okay here is my Crash Test Report (Ooooops)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1, It's not hit and run. That's the point. His wife contacted the person that she ran into.

2. I don't know what the law is where Freddy lives, but in CA you don't have to report an accident to the DMV or the police if nobody was injured, and the damage was less than $750. If the damage was as minor as it sounds, then you have no legal obligation to report this accident to anybody.

It appears you have no clue what you are talking about vocabulaic.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:34 PM
RP good to hear from you. Yeah the wife is fine and the truck is fine. No biggie. Just posting what a slow impact could do to a new 04.

We pulled the bumper out with hydraulic jack which is a cool tool.

Biggest task will be to get with Ford parts department to order the fender support bracket.

freddy

Old 12-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TruBluScru
1, It's not hit and run. That's the point. His wife contacted the person that she ran into.

2. I don't know what the law is where you live, but in CA you don't have to report an accident to DMV or the police if nobody was injured, and the damage was less than $750. If the damage was as minor as it sounds, then you have no legal obligation to report this accident to anybody.

It appears you have no clue what you are talking about vocabulaic.
Funny, I work as an accountant for an insurance company... Here in Florida, if there is no police report - it can be classified as a hit and run. I have had several people that exchange information and drive off, only to have one decide they it's easier to call in a hit and run a day or two later (especially if it was their fault, because if the other person ran, it looks better for them).

So yes, I do have a clue what I am talking about... and it still doesn't matter, the fact still remains that it could have been taken as the simple advice it is, and not had someone act like I'm calling his children fugly or something.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:36 PM
damn those fugly children!

Old 12-04-2003, 08:50 PM
and now we know the real reason vocabulaic thinks we should report every accident. vocabulaic works for a insurance company. insurance companys rip us off if we report minor accidents. usually we have to pay the deducable plus raising our rates and we end up paying ALOT more than we need to to get it fixed. I think you did the right thing in not reporting it I did a similar thing a few years back fixed the car myself and saved a bundle. I do believe many states do have a law that if the damage is less than a certain amount you do not have to report it. I see no reason insurance companies should profit off a minor accident. they rip us off enough as it is. most people over there life time of paying premiums pay 100's of times what they require in coverage from a insurance company.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by vocabulaic
Funny, I work as an accountant for an insurance company... Here in Florida, if there is no police report - it can be classified as a hit and run. I have had several people that exchange information and drive off, only to have one decide they it's easier to call in a hit and run a day or two later (especially if it was their fault, because if the other person ran, it looks better for them).

So yes, I do have a clue what I am talking about... and it still doesn't matter, the fact still remains that it could have been taken as the simple advice it is, and not had someone act like I'm calling his children fugly or something.
HOLY ****

WAIT A SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!

You said FL, then I look over to loacation, and I see Titusville!!! I HAVE A TITUSVILLE BUDDY!!! WHOOO!!!!!

What color is your truck? Feel free to IM me (aim - theYMCAblows)

Old 12-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by jasonkola
and now we know the real reason vocabulaic thinks we should report every accident. vocabulaic works for a insurance company. insurance companys rip us off if we report minor accidents. usually we have to pay the deducable plus raising our rates and we end up paying ALOT more than we need to to get it fixed. I think you did the right thing in not reporting it I did a similar thing a few years back fixed the car myself and saved a bundle. I do believe many states do have a law that if the damage is less than a certain amount you do not have to report it. I see no reason insurance companies should profit off a minor accident. they rip us off enough as it is. most people over there life time of paying premiums pay 100's of times what they require in coverage from a insurance company.
Umm... sure, believe that if you want...

You never "HAVE" to pay unless you damage someone else's vehicle and their insurance doesn't cover it. In this case, he would have had to pay his deductible IF - AND ONLY IF - he wanted his repairs to be covered by insurance (whatever is in excess of his deductible). Since he chose to fix it himself, he would have not had to pay anything, unless the other driver filed for compensation from his insurance company - in which case - his INSURANCE COMPANY (not himself) would be liable for the damages. Notice all the "if"s in there.

Last edited by vocabulaic; 12-04-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 PM
sorry to hear of the damage to the new truck. It tends to PO' a person off.

The best line I have heard recently was a co-workers 17 yr old daughter had a " fence jump into her way" as she was backing up in dad's little pick up.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:45 AM
please tell me if this is correct...

your insurance only pays them if theirs doesnt cover the accident. In Ontario any fender bender on private property is automatic no fault, no blame, no charges laid under the Highway traffic Act.

So this sounds like a parking lot at work... private property and therefore a civil claim if the other car owner wants repairs made.

So wouldn't this have an effect on the need to report or not?

Old 12-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Not Hit and Run

Definition: [adj]
designed for or consisting of a brief attack followed by a quick escape;

As a driver and I don't mean a everyday driver. I put 136K miles on my big truck last yr. I been to pretty much every state out there. Never Maine but why go there? Anyway above you find the definition of Hit and Run. She may have Hit but not Run. Also most states have a law about private property which is where they were. Remember the parking structure. Thats owned by someone other than the state. Well unless they work for the IRS or something. Anyway. As long as you trade info,which they did, remember they know each others phone numbers and where they work. Did you know you don't have to tell someone you hit their car? You can leave a note. You are NOT expected to stay ALL day if they are not at the car. Anyway. As far as the insurance goes, you do not have to report anything to them unless you want them to pay for it. The lady in the Honda would not have to report it to hers because they would not be paying. Also You said that the next accident the insureance would end up pay for both sets of damage? I am sure that this guy (forgot who I am talking to here sorry) with the 04 F150 would tell his agent what was damaged in the most recent accident.
Damn my fingers are sore now.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Re: Not Hit and Run

Originally posted by Rumluver
Definition: [adj]
designed for or consisting of a brief attack followed by a quick escape;

As a driver and I don't mean a everyday driver. I put 136K miles on my big truck last yr. I been to pretty much every state out there. Never Maine but why go there? Anyway above you find the definition of Hit and Run. She may have Hit but not Run. Also most states have a law about private property which is where they were. Remember the parking structure. Thats owned by someone other than the state. Well unless they work for the IRS or something. Anyway. As long as you trade info,which they did, remember they know each others phone numbers and where they work. Did you know you don't have to tell someone you hit their car? You can leave a note. You are NOT expected to stay ALL day if they are not at the car. Anyway. As far as the insurance goes, you do not have to report anything to them unless you want them to pay for it. The lady in the Honda would not have to report it to hers because they would not be paying. Also You said that the next accident the insureance would end up pay for both sets of damage? I am sure that this guy (forgot who I am talking to here sorry) with the 04 F150 would tell his agent what was damaged in the most recent accident.
Damn my fingers are sore now.
Yeah, but if you hit someone's car -- and exchange information - OR leave a note... you WERE NOT THERE when the police report was filed. Thus, they can go, 'What? I never saw them' and you have no proof that you actually did stop, unless you happened to take certified timed & dated pictures of writing them a note, and where you left it - along with a time elapsed shot of them coming back and finding it.

Thus, they CAN file a hit and run in that situation.

All I was trying to do was to warn others reading this that - TO BE SAFE - you should file a report so it doesn't come back to bite your ***.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Wrong.

You MAY be correct in YOUR state but that is about it. IF you are going to reply to my post you had better have all your ducks lined up. Go get your self a Motor Carriers Handbook. This is a US DOT book that covers all states. IF the person you hit is not at their car with in a reasonable time you may leave a note with your info. If they chose note to read it that is fine. If you don't leave a note and say you did no one can say you didn't unless someone saw you not leave a note. Also in a private parking lot the police have no jurisdiction. They can not even give you a ticket for parking in a handicap spot unless the property manager complains. I have had on 2 dif occasions been hit in parking lots. the first one did over 11K in damage (1997 Volvo Big Rig). We called the cops and they said that they were too busy and to just exchange info beings it was on PRIVATE property they could not even file a report. That was in Amarillo Tx in 1996. In St Louis Mo in 2002 I was hit did 3500 in damage. I was in a restaurant. the person left a note with their info, I called and the Insurance paid. 3 month ago my wife got rear ended right here in AZ. The car got totaled. I called my insurance guy and he said I didn't even need to report it to him beings the other guy had insurance. I got rear ended in Kingman Az in 2000. The guy and I exchanged info. There was no damage to mine but his had damage. 2 days later I called it in just in case the other guy did. Nothing ever came of it. Some things can be worked out with out involving the cops and insurance. If both parties decide to do this than how is that bad. You can not have a hit and run if you have the other persons info. If they say you left then how did you get their info??? You are wrong and you are trying to redeem yourself in this thread. It started by a owner of a new truck letting others know how well his truck held up to a accident..you have turned his misfortune into your platform. Admit you are wrong at least to your self. You may be correct in YOUR State but you are putting "blanket" statements that are wrong. I would hate to get directions to Disney World from you. I am now finished and have other stuff to do. Sorry for the long POST..Good Day

Old 12-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Warn others?

All I was trying to do was to warn others reading this that - TO BE SAFE - you should file a report so it doesn't come back to bite your ***.
Than start a NEW thread about warning others. Call it "what I think I know about Florida Motor law"

Old 12-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Re: Re: Not Hit and Run

Hey, guys. Not going to flame anyone but wanted to throw in my two cents. I got in a very minor fender bender a while back (not in my truck thankfully). I wanted to make sure my bases were covered so I contacted my insurance agency and DMV - not to file a claim but to ask about my responsibilities. They said as long as 1) no one was hurt and 2) neither vehicle was damaged over $1000 an accident report didn't need to be filed and shouldn't be filed unless one or both drivers wanted to. So, unless you want a minor accident on your DMV report don't file minor claims unless you want them to "bite your ***."

Oregon DMV info

freddy40's wife's coworker would have a tough time trying to prove a hit and run anyway. The main thing is that everyone is okay.

Old 12-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Re: Warn others?

Originally posted by Rumluver
Than start a NEW thread about warning others. Call it "what I think I know about Florida Motor law"
Well aren't you just a shining star. If you really think I don't know Florida law, maybe you should research it yourself. Although I doubt you would take that time or consideration, seeing as how you all seem to think this is a post about little small differences in state laws, rather than just taking it for the good advice that it was.

Seriously, I find it quite humorous that none of you can see it for the valuable advice it is. I hope one of you ever gets in an accident with me, gives me your license number and then drives off. You'll have a hit and run on your *** so fast you won't know which end to fart out, because it pisses me off that people think they're so important and in such a hurry that they can't wait for things to get filed properly. You ask how I'll know your info if you really just left? Plate numbers. It happens EVERYDAY we have people, "But I DID exchange information!" "Well, there is no police report, thus, it is reason to believe that you fled, sorry, but they've got you nailed."

Like I've mentioned, file a police report and be safe. REGARDLESS of what state you are in.

...sigh

You're right... maybe I should just let you all go and find out through your own misfortune, God forbid anyone help others learn BEFORE they make their own mistakes...

Last edited by vocabulaic; 12-05-2003 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Okay here is my Crash Test Report (Ooooops)