2004 - 2008 F-150

New Stereo Arrived!!! Need Sub Solution...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Stereo Arrived!!! Need Sub Solution...

Just received my Kenwood system - now I have my navigation back. Will be installing it over the weekend once I finish the NAV-TV/DVD Changer install on my wifes X5.

Kenwood KVT-911DVD DVD Receiver with Touchscreen
Kenwood KNA-DV3100 DVD Navigation System
Kenwood KDV-C810 DVD/CD Changer
Kenwood KTC-SR902 SIRIUS Satellite Tuner
Kenwood CX-SR20 Sirius Satellite Radio Roof-Mount Antenna
Scosche Install Kit & Wiring Harness
PAC SWI-X Remote IR Control (to retain steering wheel controls)

Need some advice on a Subwoofer - I have a 6" bazooka lying idle that will be used, but want to know if anyone has used a custom box and their opinion. I'm thinking if I used a custom box I'd have to move the jack and tools to another location. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Say Daneo2, sounds like you have quite a busy weekend coming up! And quite a system as a result.

Unforunately, I can't shed any light on sub location in the '04, as I won't have my truck (built yesterday!) for a week or so. I will be, however, in a similar situation once my truck arrives. That is, looking for a location for an enclosure.

I currently have an '01 SCAB with a JL Audio Stealthbox sub in the center console. That console is nothing short of cavernous and with a single downfiring 10", it's more than adequate. The '04 with the flow-thru doesn't have nearly the console volume that would be required for hidden enclosure. Our only option appears to be a long flat box under the rear seat - at the expense of valuable storage space, IMO. Some sacrifices are worth their price, but I'm going to miss that space.

Amplifier placement is where I'm stumped. I plan on running a 4 channel amp for the front and rear, along with a 2 channel (bridged to mono) for a sub. I'd rather they not be visible to any undesirables looking into my truck. So, if there's a sub enclosure under the back seat and very little space under the front seats, where in the hell do the amps go? I hope to leave at least a little flat area on the floor in the back of my '04 SCAB, but it's not looking too promising.

Regarding the Bazooka, I've had experience with them and in some applications, work quite well. But if you're at all like me, you'll soon be wanting for more than the 6" can provide. But it's gotta be better than nothing until you get something else going.

Isn't it amazing that I could generate such a long post without one piece of useful information to offer. My coffee may be too strong this morning.

Please post some pics (and any pointers) of your install. Sounds like a killer setup!

Old 11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm in the same boat. I don't know which cab you have, but I've got the SCrew w/ console shift.

The options that I'm exploring are, removing the front center seat, removing the cushion and adding a box with a 10" sub, similar to the Stealthbox (JL Audio doesn't have anything for '04 yet), building a flat enclosure w/ 2 8" subs under the long rear bench, or using a 12" JL that I already own in a small box with the small rear bench folded up and jack relocated. I think a 6" bazooka will fit fine under the long bench, but I'd prefer a lower range. So far, none of these options are ideal.

I think I can fit my RF 400.4 under the passenger seat (manual adjust). I don't know if that's enough power though, but I don't know where I can mount my others. Possibly behind the rear bench on the back wall. I'd like to remove the rear seat to see what's back there and if there's any room. Hopefully, this weekend will be decent to do some work.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Possibly behind the rear bench on the back wall. I'd like to remove the rear seat to see what's back there and if there's any room.

I read in a previous post that someone had explored this and described the amount of room behind the seat with one word.....Zero!

I agree that you might be able to shoehorn an amp under the seat, but haven't been able to do it on any of my previous F-150's with power seats, so I'll try not to be overly optimistic.

BTW, my truck is, er, will be a Lariat SCab with the flow thru console.

Since I'm an XM junky, I picked up an XM Commander to hold me over until I get the serious hardware together for the new system. The controller, which is 1 3/4" x 4 1/2", will fit perfectly in place of the ashtray in front of the console shifter. I currently have a Pioneer XM ready head unit leading the way in my '01. Don't think I'll survive for long without the XM.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:55 PM
You know...I am trying to keep up with Daneo2 in the things I am adding to my truck...but it is a losing battle. I guess I just have to keep trying until I catch up...

Old 11-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Well, its installed and I believe I've developed an aneursym as a result. I had to make some sacrifices to fit the control unit, Sirius Satellite module and DVD Navigation Computer under the driver's sheet.

I removed the driver's side interior and cut the floor ductwork under the driver's seat to allow for the extra inches of space for the three modules mentioned. This did the trick - this is a sweet system. Will post pics soon.

The 10 disc DVD Changer was mounted in the center rear under the back seat, the Bazooka 6" EL was mounted on the driver's side (where the audiophile's sub is located) and makes a great bit of improvement given the little amount of space.

Overall sound is awesome - next I have to install the PAC SWIX once I figure out the best place to transmit to the new head unit.

The touchscreen nav system is better than on our X5!

Last edited by Daneo2; 11-17-2003 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Question Daneo2

Daneo2, do you have the flow-through console and if you do wouldn't the modules fit under it?

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2003, 10:07 AM
I have the flow-through and thought the same, but when I dismantled the center, it was completely filled with duct work, shifter, cup holder & storage recesses. There is a good deal of space behind the temp controls, but only large enough for the Sirius modules which didn't help.

Old 11-18-2003, 10:09 AM
DANEO, please post pics!!! I would love to see how you mounted your sub and changer.

WOLF

Another question: Did installing a new radio disengage the volume / track controls on the Lariat steering wheel?

Old 11-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Will take some pics tomorrow - battery died on the camera.

You loose the steering wheel controls, however there is a way to regain them if your new head unit has an IR port. There are a couple of products on the market (PAC SWIX www.pacaudio.com) that will tap the controls of the wheel and allow you to program a remote control function and "map" the controls you wish. Similar to programming your garage door openers on the visor.

Of course, I haven't installed mine yet - will be this weekend for that.

Old 11-20-2003, 12:49 AM
SDS
As far as a sub enclosure goes...........I made my own for a RF HE4408. It fits neatly under the back seat along with the Kenwood X650D amp........just not low enough (freq.). I'm gonna build another, ported this time to see what happens. You just won't get a lot from an 8" sub. The systems overall sounds extremely good. I'd just like more volume and duration at lower frequencies.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Daneo2
You loose the steering wheel controls, however there is a way to regain them if your new head unit has an IR port. There are a couple of products on the market (PAC SWIX www.pacaudio.com) that will tap the controls of the wheel and allow you to program a remote control function and "map" the controls you wish. Similar to programming your garage door openers on the visor.

Of course, I haven't installed mine yet - will be this weekend for that.
Looking for updates. My Lariat's sound system just isn't what I'm used to... would like to add my Pioneer and subs but would like to retain volume controls..

Dan

Quick Reply: New Stereo Arrived!!! Need Sub Solution...