2004 - 2008 F-150

Exterior cleaning/drying tips.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior cleaning/drying tips.

The first time I washed/dryed the '04, I became irritated with the concave roof grooves and the cowling around the windshield wipers, i.e. with no drainage features they collect standing water and are difficult to dry. If left to dry naturally, they collect mineral deposits. I now use low pressure compressed air to blow them dry.

In the past, I always dried my vehicles with a chamois, but recently discovered a fantatic drying tool...the California Water Blade. With the Blade in one hand and a chamois in the other, I can dry the '04 in the time it takes for the amazed onlooking neighbor to smoke a cig. The Blade is silicone, supposedly 17 times less abrasive on the paint than chamois, and with each swipe, the surface is totally dry. It also contours nicely on curved surfaces. A great labor saver @ $15-20.

Now, about that brake dust...ARGHHH!

Old 10-29-2003, 12:50 PM
I have heard of those blades - where do you get them?

Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 PM
I would like to say "at any auto supply store" (not so), but many do carry them. On the west coast, many auto depts. of even the "one-stop shopping" dept. stores carry them. You just have to start calling/shopping. They are worth locating.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Wolf...a P.S. on the blade. Type California Water Blade on the Google search and you'll find dozens of links, e.g. Amazon, product reviews by Motor Trend (10 best products in '99), retail mail order auto suppliers, etc.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Old 10-29-2003, 01:10 PM
walmat has them

Old 10-29-2003, 01:21 PM
eric...Thanx for the reminder. I didn't buy mine there, but saw them recently and forgot. They're also about $4 under MSRP there.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use them if you wish but, I have NUMEROUS small scratches on my paint from them. I've spent HOURS working the scratches out with Meguiars #9 and other slightly abrasive products.

My suggestion is run the other way from the Cali Water Blade.

We've discussed them NUMEROUS TIMES up in General Care and the consensus is that they do more harm than good...

Just 2 cents from a guy that tries like mad to keep up with the auto detailing/polish/wax/protectant/general paint and surface care market.

RP

Old 10-29-2003, 03:05 PM
I agree with RockPick, 100% soft fluffy towels for me, or Microfiber if you want to spend the extra dough.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:12 PM
I washed mine for the first time this past weekend. I started with my gas powered blower, then finished off with the chamois. This worked pretty well.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3294

Old 10-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Brad...it gives me the greatest pleasure to argue against you...on this board especially !!!

We never discussed blades on the KR board....but I've been using them over here in the UK for some years....and just discovered them in Sam's club in the States.

Brilliant and save so much time !

As for scratches...it IS important to keep running your finger along the blade...especially when first using each wash....to check there are no minute particles that could scratch the paint.

I have been using them on all our cars and on the bigger ones they save so much time.

I won't tell this forum what those cars are or Tr*B**S*** will jump up and down accusing me of being pompous...
(How's the chip by the way T. and I don't mean the one in your engine!)

But Rock knows that I am very protective of my special cars and I wouldn't use anything on them that may cause problems.

The blade is a GREAT time saver if used carefully !!

Old 10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like RP said, many have had problems with the CWB. Some swear at them, others swear by them. Dunno why the strong voices on either side, but because there is such, I have avoided. Besides, waffleweave microfiber seems to work great for me.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:54 PM
the absorber is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Sam's is where I bought my Cal. Water Blade. I'm with Lenticular, as long as you continually check the edge of the blade to make sure that you keep it free of any debris they work GREAT. The blade and soft terry towels are what I use. I use the blade to get the majority of the water off and then finish with towels.

I have used Zaino products for the first time on this truck and have been VERY happy with them. I CLAYED for the first time on this truck and I AM AMAZED. I was skeptical about it until I tried it. I could not believe the "stuff" that came off a brand new truck that had been "detailed" by the dealer and then carefully washed by me. As someone else on this forum who turned me on to Zaino said, I am now a "Zainoid"....lol.

Last edited by Mallen4258; 10-29-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:38 PM
If nothing else, check in a marina ships store or parts department. I sell them in mine. Have never used it on a car or truck but they work great on windows and fiberglass boats.

Quick Reply: Exterior cleaning/drying tips.