2004 - 2008 F-150

vibration when taking off

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same thing on my FX4 SCrew BFG 18". I get it when taking off from a stop but you really notice it from a stop in a turn. I agree we all deserve a fix for this and should not take "it is a characteristic of the 04's". I am going to take mine in next week it has 1,000 miles on it. If you are one of those who are waiting, what are you waiting for ?? We will never get a fix if we don't atleast get it in writting that we have a problem. See you at the service desk....

Old 11-13-2003, 12:29 AM
I had this same shaking/vibration problem with my FX4. I noticed it real bad after getting back from a road trip (about 1000 miles there and back). It turned out to be in the differential. They replaced the limited slip. It fixed the problem, but then I noticed a howling noise at 50-55MPH. They had to go back in and replace the ring & pinion due to abnormal wear and re-shim to proper depth. They also added a friction modifier to the fluid. It works good now and no howling. I thought I was the one unfortunate person to have this problem, but aparently there are quite a few FX4s with this problem. Does anyone with an XLT or Lariat have this problem? I would guess Ford gets these rear ends from Dana fully assembled, so maybe Dana is doing something wrong. I thought I heard that the limited slip was being set up too tight.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by w8n4sno
I had this same shaking/vibration problem with my FX4. I noticed it real bad after getting back from a road trip (about 1000 miles there and back). It turned out to be in the differential. They replaced the limited slip. It fixed the problem, but then I noticed a howling noise at 50-55MPH. They had to go back in and replace the ring & pinion due to abnormal wear and re-shim to proper depth. They also added a friction modifier to the fluid. It works good now and no howling. I thought I was the one unfortunate person to have this problem, but aparently there are quite a few FX4s with this problem. Does anyone with an XLT or Lariat have this problem? I would guess Ford gets these rear ends from Dana fully assembled, so maybe Dana is doing something wrong. I thought I heard that the limited slip was being set up too tight.
Yes, my lariat is doing the same thing. I only notice the problem after the truck has been sitting overnight or if it happens to sit all day at work. If I drive it at lunch then then I do not notice the problem. So it seems to go away if the differential is warm.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:20 PM
I also have noticed this each morning as I back out into the street with wheel slightly turned as you pull forward the tires , BFG on a Lariat 3.73 LS , seem to skip , will mention this net trip to shop.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:21 PM
I also have noticed this each morning as I back out into the street with wheel slightly turned as you pull forward the tires , BFG on a Lariat 3.73 LS , seem to skip , will mention this next trip to shop.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Haven't gotten mine fixed yet, but they say the limited slip clutches are the problem. The Expeditions seem to have the same problem. They ordered replacement clutches for mine and are in. Just have to make the appointment to get it in.

Quick Reply: vibration when taking off