2004 - 2008 F-150

vibration when taking off

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed the same problem as described by young (above). Feels like the diff or the tires. Will be taking it in at 5K to be looked at but would be great to hear if anyone diagnoses the problem in advance.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
i have the goodyear LT tires on an FX. 300 miles and have not noticed any shuddering. keep us posted on what you find out. thanks......

Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
is the shuddering or vibration very pronounced?....I also have a VERY SLIGHT vibration when turning and accelerating from a dead stop....just feels like the tires slipping to me.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:43 AM
I have noticed the the same vibration but it seems to happen only when its cold, like in the morning, and I am starting out from a stop and turning at the same time. This did not start happening until after I had the truck for a few weeks. I have over 2400 miles now and it is still there. I planning on taking it in soon to have it checked out.

I have the Goodyears.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:21 PM
I also have a slight shimmy/shutter when giving it gas from a dead stop.

I 1st noticed the problem after trying out the 4x4H and 4x4L Features, which was 4 days after I took the truck home. (This may or may not have anything to do with the shimmy, I just might have noticed the shimmy at the same time I was testing the 4x4)

After driving it for a couple of more weeks I still have the problem, but what I've discovered is this. I think the rear brakes are biting into the rotors(???). If I park on a downhill with my foot on the brake and the truck in Neutral, then release the brake, I can feel the shimmy for about a second.

Any thoughts.....

Forgot this: 18" BF's on FX4 SCrew

Last edited by fatboy0103@cox.; 11-11-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:35 PM
I picked up my vehicle from the Ford Dealer this evening after I had dropped it off after I felt a shuddering vibration when taking off from a stop.

The technician explained to me that they road tested my vehicle and cold not duplicate the problem. They checked SSM'S and TSB'S and found none. The shop foreman also road tested the vehicle and ran oasis. No problems were found.

They advised me that I should check back with them in a couple of months for any new developments. He said he spoke to Ford and they said this may be just a characteristic of the vehicle.

I advised the technician that I would be watching this very closely. I also told him that the answer Ford gave him telling him this may be a characteristic of this vehicle was quite lame. I explained to him that the Dodge Van they gave me for a rental vehicle did not have this characteristic and cost about $10,000 less.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Unhappy Shudder on F150 FX4 4X4

Hi-

I sent a note back last month on the shudder issue on my '04 F150 FX 4 Std. cab 4X4 , and how it may be connected to those Goodyear AT/S LT tires. Ford has allowed my dealer to replace the Goodyears with the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires . These were ordered , and should be in this week-By the way, I made them replace 5 tires , including the spare. The BF Goodrich tires are on the Lariat models in the lots with the 18" wheels. They look great, and I hope some/most of the problem with the initial shudder and resonant frequency when hitting bumps will dissipate. Will let you know - Dave Christo

Old 11-11-2003, 06:53 PM
I am having similar problems with the shudder on my 2004 FX4 Extended Cab limited slip. I have the BF Goodrich tires on my, so that must not be the solution. I have 1000 miles on my truck, and I have noticed it for about 500 miles. Being a characteristic of a $36,000 truck is not acceptable to me. Sounds to me like the limited slip is slipping a little too much. Does anyone know what brand they used?

Old 11-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Don't count on the BFG tires making this go away. I have ~950 miles on my FX4 SCrew, with those tires (3:73) , and it's got the same very slight (almost unnoticeable) shudder when slowly accelerating from a stop that everyone seems to be describing here.

It doesn't happen every time (maybe 30% of the time), and you kind of have to be paying attention to notice it, but it *is* there.

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone's dealer finds something really wrong, or this is just a combination of random circumstances and this particular drivetrain geometry.

For me personally, it's not that big of a deal, as the minivan I owned before this was several orders of magnitude worse as far as ride quality and handling, and the truck is a "luxo-cruiser" compared to my motorcycle (at least when it's rainy and cold out ).

For what it's worth, I have no other noises, vibrations, shakes, shimmies, etc. at any speed.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:16 PM
2004 fx4 regular cab 18" bfg's;
my truck was experiencing the shake from stop to accelerating into a right hand turn after testing out its 4 wheel drive capabilities, i took it in and they said that my clutch pack in the rear differential was put together too tight and they replaced it under warranty.
however my truck from the day i got it and still does have a shake or studder in what seems to be the rear end from stop to accelerating for a second just like everyone is describing, any help?

Old 11-12-2003, 01:14 AM
What the $#!% is this shudder and why can none of the mechanics notice/feel it.? (Or are they just choosing not to?) I had the exact same issue on my '01 SCREW but didn't care since it was a lease. Now I dropped 36K on my '04 and still have the same issue.

Does anyone know if they are using the same read-ends/differentials?

Old 11-12-2003, 08:22 AM
It is the limited slip that is causing the problem. Mine will do it while pulling out on a hill with the wheel turned. I road in the bed last night while my wife pulled out on a hill while turning. It is the tires skipping as a result of the differential not slipping while turning. I hope the additive will help it, it would be a quick and easy fix.

matt

Old 11-12-2003, 08:59 AM
My SCrew with 18" BFG and 3.73LS does it as well. It only does it under moderate to heavy acceleration and only when taking off with the steering wheel turned. Under heavy acceleration, I usually get a tire chirp. This is caused by the LS being tight because it is new. Friction modifier will help this, but is not really a problem and as the clutch packs wear/break in this will go away.

One other thing to consider, this is the first production run of these trucks, and there are bound to be issues with them. As these become apparent I am sure that Ford engineers will correct them. As far as warranty issues, get as much information on the problem as you can and keep your cool when talking to the service manager. If he won't listen to you, speak to the owner/general manager and if that doesn't work try the Ford zone rep.

Best truck I ever owned and I've had four other F150s ( '84, '92, '99 & '02 ) and I liked everyone of them.

Just my $0.02

Michael

Old 11-12-2003, 09:14 AM
I have a 2004 FX4 with the 17" wheels and 3.55 L.S. and have the same condition. Felt it since the first day, but thought it was maybe my imagination or something, but now seeing all these posts it sure seems to be an issue. I have 3600 miles on it now and its still there. Hope we can find out what this is so we can address it.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:41 AM
I posted a question on a technician board and got the reply that a lot of the techs at dealers really hate the selection of the tires on the new trucks. That said, it's prolly not the tires. All owners that have these problems should be getting them to the dealers, if only 1 or 2 come in FMC will think it is isolated or normal variation.

Quick Reply: vibration when taking off