2004 - 2008 F-150

bigger tires on 2004 F150??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by FoMoCoFoMe
Thumbing through an offroad mag at the grocery store this weekend and saw a great ad for Terra Grapplers -- sweeeeettt looking rubber!! Yup, that TG equipped lifted truck posted earlier in the thread is definitely more my taste, than is the MacDaddy low profile rolling 4x4 FX4 I saw today.
Yea. I don't get that whole look. It makes no sense to me. WHY?

Old 09-30-2003, 06:10 AM
I stopped by a Ford dealer today and saw an XLT 4x4 fitted with 305/45/22 Falken S/TZ-04 tires and custom wheels (not sure of the mfg). It didn't look like they would rub and they did not stick out much (maybe an inch or so) beyond the edge of the wheelwell.

No offense intended geo -- just my personal opinion here... and knowing taste is a subjective thing, etc.. I gotta tell ya, I did not like the way that combination looked on the truck -- at all! Yeah, maybe it would be cool on a slammed two wheel drive, but to me, it just looks like crap on a 4x4. IMHO, way too much rim and way too little sidewall just doesn't fit well with the 4x4 aesthetic. YMMV.
That's OK....no offense taken...To each his own. I don't do any off roading and and am only getting the 4x to handle these *****ty Michigan winters. Once I can eyeball those things on there I may not even go in that direction.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Anyone have some favorite links for wheels?

Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by beastboy
Anyone have some favorite links for wheels?
www.wheelmax.com

Old 09-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by geo036
That's OK....no offense taken...To each his own. I don't do any off roading and and am only getting the 4x to handle these *****ty Michigan winters. Once I can eyeball those things on there I may not even go in that direction.
Yeah, everyone comes at truck buying from a little different perspective it seems. While I live out west, I like to ski in the winter, so I can relate (somewhat) to the advantages of 4WD in the snow. On heavier vehicles, I have found tires that are taller than wider (so to speak) allow the tires to get down through to firmer footing, while wider tires sometimes float too much to make that task as easy. I like the idea of more rubber than wheel reaching down below the surface, as it allows less stuff to fill up the insides of the wheels. Much the same can be said for mud.

In my view the advantages of low profile tires is their handling prowess. For me, my truck is not going to ever be used to run slalom courses. There are, of course, those who feel different about what they want to do with their trucks, like the guys with Lightning trucks -- which are very cool in my book -- but not exactly bought with the same purpose as a 4x4, and thus usually shod with different tires.

Anyway geo, when you see the 22'' low profile tires on a new 4x4, I think you might feel a little differently about their value (beyond the aesthetic considerations). BTW, that truck I saw did not have any lift kit installed, which likely contributed to the awkward look it had about it, whereas the lifted truck in this thread looks much more balanced in stance, to my eye.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:19 AM
Yeah, everyone comes at truck buying from a little different perspective it seems. While I live out west, I like to ski in the winter, so I can relate (somewhat) to the advantages of 4WD in the snow. On heavier vehicles, I have found tires that are taller than wider (so to speak) allow the tires to get down through to firmer footing, while wider tires sometimes float too much to make that task as easy. I like the idea of more rubber than wheel reaching down below the surface, as it allows less stuff to fill up the insides of the wheels. Much the same can be said for mud.

In my view the advantages of low profile tires is their handling prowess. For me, my truck is not going to ever be used to run slalom courses. There are, of course, those who feel different about what they want to do with their trucks, like the guys with Lightning trucks -- which are very cool in my book -- but not exactly bought with the same purpose as a 4x4, and thus usually shod with different tires.

Anyway geo, when you see the 22'' low profile tires on a new 4x4, I think you might feel a little differently about their value (beyond the aesthetic considerations). BTW, that truck I saw did not have any lift kit installed, which likely contributed to the awkward look it had about it, whereas the lifted truck in this thread looks much more balanced in stance, to my eye.

Agreed. I've seen the look somewhat....just hope I can fill the wheel wells up a little more...I may end up going with a lift and putting bigger tires on the 22's or maybe down a notch to 20's...Just don't wanna put mudders or any thing big like that on it then be accused of just wanting the "offroad" look and never actually going off road. As far as the snow and other junk goes...I'll be hanging on to the stock hardware and meat for that stuff.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Saw a link for dash kits posted by pa wolf62 and noticed they have a pretty good selection of wheels. Sorted first by mfg, then size; this listing gives you fitment details and pricing that most of the others don't always show. See: http://www.seffects.com/catalog/prod...ategory=Wheels.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
I didn't want to search through all those manufactures did you find any that had the specs to fit the 2004 F150. from what I seen most of the 6 lug rims had 5.5 spaceing. the 2004 has 5.3 spaceing for the lugs.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:46 PM
5.3" = 135mm

There were lots of choices for six lugs and 135mm bolt circle Jason. Look again and I'm sure you will find something that catches your eye... but don't blame me if you now end up 'needing' to spend $2k to $4k on rolling *bling-bling*!

Old 10-01-2003, 09:10 PM
I went and dis some more searching every 135 mm rim I found was for a 5 lug pattern. the new 2004 has a 6 lug pattern of which I mostly found 5.5 lug bolt circle. I looked through 5 different manufactures. maybe I am looking at the wrong manufactures.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
the new F150 is a 6 over 170 pattern. i haven't found any aftermarket wheels yet, but Traders was supposed to find me some. i'll call them tomorrow and get the scoop.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
according to fordt specs listed on the link below it is a 6 lug pattern with a 5.3in./135mm lug spaceing with a 1.73in./44mm offset. I got that link from another thread. it has all kins of interesting specs on the new 2004 F150.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/...150_04_221b.pd

Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by BrewMaster
the new F150 is a 6 over 170 pattern.
Where are you getting that spec BrewMaster? If you check the Ford info (see: this link ) it specs 6 lugs on a 135mm bolt circle.

Jason,

My bad... I have been drooling over all the 5 x 135mm choices-- not the 6 x 135mm! The article on Ford Truck World claimed Weld and Bonspeed had the right pattern wheels already. With the number of '04 F-150s going to be produced, I am positive MANY mfg will soon have wheels on the market.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:48 PM
hay Weld and Bonspeed might be makeing the right bolt pattern but that web sight might not be up to date. I know meny sights don't update that often. I think the place to go to find out is Weld and Bonspeed's website if one exists. they would be the most up to date. also a person could probably get a way to contact them to ask them.

Old 10-02-2003, 06:13 AM

Quick Reply: bigger tires on 2004 F150??