2004 - 2008 F-150

A Few Lingering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A Few Lingering Questions

O.K. so I just got the 04 product catalog and have to say if you don't already have one go get one now. It's easily twice as large and twice as good as last years.
I am seriously thinking of ordering a 04 Lariat Screw and still have a couple of unaswered questions:
1) What will the dash look like with the black interior option (like the FX4)? The tan has wood grain as everyone knows, but wouldn't that be really ugly with a black dash. I may just get black if it means NO WOOD.
2) I'm still torn between the 3.55 and 3.73 gear ratio. I want all the gas mileage I can get but I don't want to sacrifice performance. The other thread answers seem to favor the 3.73 with the 18" wheels. I don't plan on doing alot of towing, and when I do, I doubt it would exceed the 8500# limit of the 3.55. How hard or expensive would it be to switch it out in the future, if I think I needed it?
3) I have seen enough post on this site, to at least believe that I can get the truck I want for pretty close to invoice price if I order it. Why should I wait until the truck comes out to buy? My thoughts are that the dealor comes out better by not having the truck sit on the lot. He has just sold one without having to keep it in inventory and he can order another to have out for others to see. Also, won't it be a little harder getting a deal when they first arrive. Also, keep in mind, I HAVE to get a new truck fairly quick. I could possibly extend it to Nov or Dec but need it sooner than later.

Scott

Old 08-04-2003, 03:49 PM
I ordered a Lariat SCrew, as well, so here's my take on your questions:

1. I have no idea what the black Lariat interior would look like, especially with the "wood" trim. I tried to imagine it a little like the FX4, but I think the "wood" is staying in there, regardless of trim color... so I opted for TAN.

2. I chose 3.73 limited slip, which will probably reduce the MPG by 1 MPG or so. It's not that significant of a decrease to deter me. Plus, with 18" tires, towing capacity is reduced. By how much, I don't know.

3. I ordered mine last month because I'm using the A-Plan, and it requires absolutely no price haggling... that makes it very nice. If you can get the A or X-Plans, that would be a huge benefit. In knowing what people are paying for these trucks, you can probably negotiate a nice price for yourself if you're willing to try a few dealers.

Anyway, that's my take. BTW, here are the prices for mine... Lariat 4x2, loaded with all the gravy (no moonroof)

TOTAL MSRP 36,000.00
INVOICE 31,757.35
A/Z/D PLAN 30,401.35
X PLAN 31,767.00

Old 08-04-2003, 03:49 PM
I have ordered a 04 Lariat and the wood grain is standard as quoted from the salesman. I opted for the 3.73 gears I don't believe it's hard to change the gears but I never had to do it so who knows. I did not have the option to wait I had to have a replacement truck for my 03 on site or ordered in 30 days. I remember when the PT cruiser came out people hade a hard time buying them I could see it happening with the new F150.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
B

Check out the Photo Album "2004 F-150" on this site. The black Lariat dash is shown and guess what no WOOD !!!! yeaaa!!!

The picture is 2nd row, 2nd column.....

Hope this helps clear the confusion

Michael

Old 08-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Re: B

Originally posted by mwildeusa
Check out the Photo Album "2004 F-150" on this site. The black Lariat dash is shown and guess what no WOOD !!!! yeaaa!!!

The picture is 2nd row, 2nd column.....

Hope this helps clear the confusion

Michael
This isn't a Lariat... it's an FX4

Old 08-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Re: Re: B

Originally posted by wingn8ive
This isn't a Lariat... it's an FX4
Yep that's FX4 not a Lariat.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:03 PM
dash color

Come ON! Somewhere there has to be a picture of the black dash in the 04 Lariat. Our dealer told us that at that particular dealership over 70% were ordering black since it hasn't been offered in so long. We ordered black since I personally don't care for the silver and tan. I don't think the black and wood grain will bother me as much, plus our last 4 vehicles - all Fords - have had tan interiors. It is very forgiving and doesn't show the dust etc., but we were just ready for a change. But a picture would sure be nice... There must be one out there somewhere!

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 AM
So it looks like everywhere I read that the 3.73 is the way to go. I guess that is one problem solved. I'm still wanting to find that picture of the back interior on the Lariat. This will help me finalize my exterior color. Which I believe are to limited. Only beige for the two tone? Come on! Look at at the color choices you get with the XLT.
Also, just got an email response from my local dealor. I quote, "

Scott,

Thank you for you inquiry! I would love to sell you an 03 at invoice less all rebates, but I'm sorry at this time the 2004 model's are being sold for what they build out for. I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

I bet you would. No problem, looks like I'll be trying another dealer. There are 4 within 20 miles of my house and at least another 25 within an hours drive.

Quick Reply: A Few Lingering Questions